Official 7th Generation ES Thread: Full Reveal on 4/25 in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I believe that is the reflection of a palm tree and a partly cloudy/mostly sunny blue sky on the hood ... any palm trees in Japan? ... South Carolina, yes ... Florida, yes ... California, yes ... where else? Middle East?

it is nowhere else but USA :). As I said, photo has leaked on instagram account, and from quick view it looked like US employee. I did not want to post a screenshot since he is likely already in big trouble since all the chinese sites made screenshot of the post that shows the name, etc.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
if this guy leaked the front of the ES, might as well took more pictures of all the angle? The consequence would be the same anyways. lol.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I remember 5 years ago or so when the current generation was leaked (attached). Still such a beautiful car! As I have said many times before, I think it looks really, really good, but will it be good enough to replace the GS? I don't know...It'll definitely replace the current ES well, for it'll gain a more elegant look, but will it be sporty enough to have GS soul? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That was 6 years ago in February 2012, before its presentation at NYIAS in April 2012. Points out a likelihood this is another China-based leak. Same happened with refreshed 2010 ES in 2009. Other the 2016 MY refresh, China is the source of many ES leaks.

@krew nice article and compare with LS... also pic was posted on instagram, by name i would say US dealer employee.

It's not US based. Anyone can repost what they find elsewhere on Instagram. Considering that TMMK is already building pre-production models I highly doubt they're going to be building them with license plate brackets that wide for the USDM or even JDM.

it is nowhere else but USA :). As I said, photo has leaked on instagram account, and from quick view it looked like US employee. I did not want to post a screenshot since he is likely already in big trouble since all the chinese sites made screenshot of the post that shows the name, etc.

No, I am not convinced in the least that it was from the USA. The wide form license plate bracket shows that perfectly. This is from outside of North America for sure. Cannot say if it is rhd or lhd, just definitely not USA where license plates are square vs rectangular in UK, Europe, Asia, and parts of Africa.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Next-Generation Lexus ES Sedan Confirmed for Beijing Motor Show

18-04-11-lexus-es-teaser.jpg

Will be revealed on April 25th.
View the original article post

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No, I am not convinced in the least that it was from the USA. The wide form license plate bracket shows that perfectly. This is from outside of North America for sure. Cannot say if it is rhd or lhd, just definitely not USA where license plates are square vs rectangular in UK, Europe, Asia, and parts of Africa.

do other countries have yellow bulbs like in that pic, for blinkers? I know US does. But we dont And there was recent dealer conference in the US where ES was most certainly shown.

Chinese websites came out first with the story and all of them referenced instagram post of said dealer employee.

It was also a base model, or something similar, in Bejing they will certainly show model with new LED lights, not projector lights.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The press release reads more like a tweet, but contains some valuable timing information:

More than just a pretty face, this all-new Lexus vehicle aims to radically transform the concept of comfort for luxury consumers all over the world. Witness its global debut in Beijing on April 25, 2018. #ExperienceAmazing
It also tacitly confirms the rumors and talk that 7ES will expand beyond its current markets and into Western Europe and Japan and other markets not currently getting the ES.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It also tacitly confirms the rumors and talk that 7ES will expand beyond its current markets and into Western Europe and Japan and other markets not currently getting the ES.

Yup - and they make specific mention of new powertrains in that release... interesting.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This "radically transform the concept of comfort" phrase is so generic that we couldn't read any information from it.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Great pull -- I've updated the original post.

Yup - and they make specific mention of new powertrains in that release... interesting.

?

This "radically transform the concept of comfort" phrase is so generic that we couldn't read any information from it.

Never know, maybe this new ES will transform the luxury automobile with its radical comfort concepts. ;)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Most of Lexus' press announcements say something like, "The next expression of luxury," or the "Next generation flagship vehicle,"... always vague.

I could be reading too much into it, but their specific mention of powertrains in the tweet - "Offering a range of advanced gasoline and hybrid drivetrains so the world can experience the luxury of Lexus" - makes me think this ES is going to debut with something they're proud of. Possibly a smaller multi-stage hybrid, the rumored 2.5L TT I4, etc.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Most of Lexus' press announcements say something like, "The next expression of luxury," or the "Next generation flagship vehicle,"... always vague.

I could be reading too much into it, but their specific mention of powertrains in the tweet - "Offering a range of advanced gasoline and hybrid drivetrains so the world can experience the luxury of Lexus" - makes me think this ES is going to debut with something they're proud of. Possibly a smaller multi-stage hybrid, the rumored 2.5L TT I4, etc.

just dont set up yourself for disappointment :).

I would love if they do stronger hybrid option with it, however I question where it will be sold - US doesnt really care about it, and 300h is more than good enough for rest of the world.

I see much larger possibility of them doing stronger V6 or that 2.5l turbo with well over 300hp with AWD than multistage hybrid.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
just dont set up yourself for disappointment :).

I would love if they do stronger hybrid option with it, however I question where it will be sold - US doesnt really care about it, and 300h is more than good enough for rest of the world.

I see much larger possibility of them doing stronger V6 or that 2.5l turbo with well over 300hp with AWD than multistage hybrid.

As many of us have discussed, they are due for a new hybrid system for ES, NX, RX, etc... so... maybe that's it? It seems to me that ES300h has been very popular here. I'd say 25% of ESs I see are 300h.

As much as I would love a new V6 and AWD, I've decided to tamper my expectations, haha. I think I was hoping for a car that straddled the line between GS and ES- a la Audi A6 in execution, but it seems more realistic that Lexus is just done with the entire concept of a GS and is going to predictably evolve the ES. With that said, I'm now expecting 2GR-FKS with 8AT and the new Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system as optional. Offering an ES 250 might not be a bad idea since it's a relatively light chassis and the new 2.5L DF 4cyl is a strong engine. 4cyl TLX has been a strong seller... not everyone cares about HP.

So maybe...

ES 250 - 205hp I4
ES 300h - new hybrid system based on I4, 230 combined HP
ES 350 - 301hp V6

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As many of us have discussed, they are due for a new hybrid system for ES, NX, RX, etc... so... maybe that's it? It seems to me that ES300h has been very popular here. I'd say 25% of ESs I see are 300h.

As much as I would love a new V6 and AWD, I've decided to tamper my expectations, haha. I think I was hoping for a car that straddled the line between GS and ES- a la Audi A6 in execution, but it seems more realistic that Lexus is just done with the entire concept of a GS and is going to predictably evolve the ES. With that said, I'm now expecting 2GR-FKS with 8AT and the new Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system as optional. Offering an ES 250 might not be a bad idea since it's a relatively light chassis and the new 2.5L DF 4cyl is a strong engine. 4cyl TLX has been a strong seller... not everyone cares about HP.

So maybe...

ES 250 - 205hp I4
ES 300h - new hybrid system based on I4, 230 combined HP
ES 350 - 301hp V6

New 300h for FWD platform is out and it is in new Camry and new Avalon. It is quite an improvement over older system with D4S as well as newer hybrid system.

Question is if they will do new 400h or 350h or 2.5l turbo or 3.0l turbo for FWD platforms too. Since more powerful version is mostly needed for US market, I dont think it will be a hybrid. But sure, I would like to see 2 hybrids and 2 petrol engines for western markets too.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
It looks indeed like the photo of the ES, which was leaked on Monday.
That photo that shows a bit more (mainly than the headlights), it didn't look like a F Sport version, don't you think ?
So, is this the grille of the F Sport or not ?
upload_2018-4-11_18-31-56.png

But anyway, this is very promising!:pray::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.