Will1991

Reactions
@Lexus Jack , when you say every model will have a gas and a hybrid/electric model, do you mean a electric-hybrid propulsion or a hybrid and a electric version?
Do we have any more info for the new IS?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So
There will be LX500 with hybrid TT 2.5l
And LX600 with hybrid TT 3.5l ??

did I got it right?
I don't think that's right at all. Let's leave LX 500 out of the discussion (no such trademark has been filed as of this writing) and focus on LX 600. There's no "h" suffix in the filed trademark, so, unless Lexus unexpectedly decides to change its naming protocols, LX 600 is NOT a hybrid. What is it, then? A quartet of possibilities comes to my mind. Here they are, from least to most probable, in my opinion:

- The current aging UR V8 engine family sees a new (and final?) 6-liter, naturally aspirated 4UR-GSE variant. Hopefully, this would employ D4S dual direct + port injection, VVT-iE and dual Atkinson/Otto cycle functionality like the 5-liter 2UR-GSE but tuned for greater low-end torque at the expense of maximum horsepower, befitting a truck/SUV application.

- The rumored new Dynamic Force V8 engine family kicks off with a 6-liter naturally aspirated V8 with the characteristics described above.

- The V35A-FTS 3.5-liter twin turbo V6 from the current Lexus LS 500 is retuned (or enlarged to a 4-liter V40A-FTS?) to create a 6-liter-equivalent LX 600.

- The rumored Dynamic Force 4-liter twin turbo V8 slated for the Lexus LC F is deemed to equal a 6-liter naturally aspirated engine and retuned for low-end torque-rich truck duty.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So
There will be LX500 with hybrid TT 2.5l
And LX600 with hybrid TT 3.5l ??

did I got it right? Or the hybrid TT 2.5l is just not for LX and they mixed the news with other Lexus car IS ???

nobody really knows. If you told me few months ago that Highlander Hybrid would apparently work great with engine similar to Rav4 Hybrid, I would say no way.

On the other hand, they never mixed turbo's and hybrids and for target audience, 4cly in LC does look too small.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
wow
Thanks @Joaquin Ruhi & @spwolf ,

- The rumored new Dynamic Force V8 engine family kicks off with a 6-liter naturally aspirated V8 with the characteristics described above.

- The V35A-FTS 3.5-liter twin turbo V6 from the current Lexus LS 500 is retuned (or enlarged to a 4-liter V40A-FTS?) to create a 6-liter-equivalent LX 600.

- The rumored Dynamic Force 4-liter twin turbo V8 slated for the Lexus LC F is deemed to equal a 6-liter naturally aspirated engine and retuned for low-end torque-rich truck duty.

@Joaquin Ruhi , for myself, I love any of the last 3 variants

Reactions
I posted this elsewhere, but if anyone from Lexus is reading these messages, I want to raise concern of all families with more than 3 kids... make new LX appropriately sized 3 row vehicle.

I don’t know why it would be difficult? GX and LX wheelbase difference as of now is less than 3”.
Why do they make 2 large vehicles so close in specs?
And if any manufacturer is bothering to make 3 row vehicle, designed to transport 7-8 people, why not design it properly?
Meaning, 7-8 people can sit at least SOMEWHAT COMFORTABLY, and that they can put at least some luggage behind. The current LX provides virtually zero space in the trunk. What’s the point then of already humongous vehicle? AMERICAN SUV’s have done it... why not Lexus?
It’s totally logical on every level to make front end shorter, increase interior space and seating comfort for ALL 3 rows and make it longer at least 10” to add some trunk space. It’s totally doable and with the new technologies new LX can be lighter and more fuel efficient and accommodate that space.

Last edited:
Reactions
@Lexus Jack , when you say every model will have a gas and a hybrid/electric model, do you mean a electric-hybrid propulsion or a hybrid and a electric version?
Sorry, I guess that sounded confusing. Every Lexus model will have some sort of an electric version. Some will be a hybrid, some will be all electric. I have not heard anything about a Hydrogen fuel cell, though. This will start with every new model being introduced starting with 2021 model year.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The LF-1 ideally should become the LX SportCross, like what the IS SportCross once was. Except entirely different execution.

7/8 seater on GA-F, with high performance unibody Cross on GA-L.

Keeps it a flagship "L" product, without totally reworking LX away from its roots.

That being said, it is really telling how the next LX is supposed to be nothing like the incumbent LX though.

People allegedly wouldn't know the J200 and new LX 600 are same nameplate by looking at them together. This is really suspect. How do you even pull that off without going unibody?

As an homage to LF-A to LFA, maybe LFX. Those are the two choices. LF1 can't be anything else, without replacing the BOF LX.

Then make the GX a vinyl-lined, brutish yet refined midsize luxury 4x4 with chiseled styling. RX needs leave its 5-seater roots behind and pass the baton to NX and just be a larger 7 seater.

Or maybe Lexus needs a two-tier large empty nester 5-seat crossover strategy:

Large FWD traditional 5-pass RX SportCross next to core model 7-seater RX, below 4-5 seater flagship RWD LFX/LX SportCross and BOF LX.

For general midsize crossover, NX. UX on bottom as entry level. GX as Defender like vehicle, but with contemporary design. LX as range topper.

There is no real business case for a compact BOF Lexus, so I'm not gonna suggest it.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The LF-1 ideally should become the LX SportCross, like what the IS SportCross once was. Except entirely different execution.

7/8 seater on GA-F, with high performance unibody Cross on GA-L.

Keeps it a flagship "L" product, without totally reworking LX away from its roots.

That being said, it is really telling how the next LX is supposed to be nothing like the incumbent LX though.

People allegedly wouldn't know the J200 and new LX 600 are same nameplate by looking at them together. This is really suspect. How do you even pull that off without going unibody?

It's funny you say that. From a nomenclature perspective, I've been wondering if it might be called something like LSX or LCX. Not sure how else it makes sense to fit a crossover into the mix when you'd need to use "X" and "LX" is already taken.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
It's funny you say that. From a nomenclature perspective, I've been wondering if it might be called something like LSX or LCX. Not sure how else it makes sense to fit a crossover into the mix when you'd need to use "X" and "LX" is already taken.

It makes so much sense to leverage the L prefix into that. Range Rover managed to add the Sport and then Evoque and Velar (under my tenure), so why not allow for a sub-family? If the GX is selling well, stay true to that or make it unique via its strengths, without upstaging the luxury of the LX.

LX should tackle offroad ability, with utmost luxury and pinnacle lux offering of GA-F, while for sportiness against the AWD (cough FWD) Lamboghini Urus and Bentley, make LF1, something with L as the prefix and X as the ending character. Doesn't have to be two characters, but 3 even like LSX or LCX.

I would hope the marketers are thinking about this, before their law firm files for any trademark. To lazily just dump a GA-F LX for GA-L only LX mismanages brand power.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-02-23-lexus-lx-next-generation.jpg

The next-generation Lexus LX will be a “huge departure” from the current model, according to a Motor1 interview with a Toyota insider:

The next LX will reportedly represent a “huge departure” from the current model. It’s said to become far more luxurious and “an entirely different vehicle” compared to the outgoing LX, with a twin-turbo V6 hybrid underneath the hood and a diesel outside of the United States.
The next-gen LX is slated to come out sometime in 2022 and will be more along the lines of a Bentley Bentayga rather than a luxed-up Land Cruiser.

There are a couple different ways to interpret this news, in that it could signal a radical transformation of the Land Cruiser platform, or even the possibility that the LX will no longer be based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. Considering the LX is one of the...

Continue reading...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lincoln TT V-6 makes 450hp.. cough cough......

Still needs a V-8 option... Caddy and Benz etc ain't dropping V-8s..they adding turbos to them

Hoping for more engine options.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I am a bit confused. Some of the language from Lexus makes it seem like the LX will be a big departure from the current one, and that there is also demand for a big people mover.

Now, that's either an LX with both seven seater and 4 seater options, under a single model, or in my mind that's a complimentary badge engineered Lexus Sequoia. I think the seat options are more likely. Take the backseats from the LM and stick it in the new LX.

If they could do a good ttv6 performance hybrid with ultra lux and good tech, I think that would be very compelling. A TTV8 full F model would be a nice step up.

If they can pull something off at the level of the LC interior, but at the scale of an LX, that's going to be a powerful selling point.

The talk of expanding the F lineup is interesting too. The idea of a TTV8 LXF with some potential hybridization is exciting, although it will never happen.

Also let's not forget Lexus gave us the ISc, so the idea of an LX and LX600c or LX600s is interesting.

At the same time, if the GX became a hard edged, refined luxury offroad toy that would be amazing.

Last edited:

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
If the huge departure means a totally different large SUV for road, I would rather they start a new model instead of taking the LX into a totally different shape. There is an audience who needs a luxury off-road car, and Lexus is almost the only one who's providing it.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Just a observation,

Very few of the folks who buy the LX new, or any vehicle with the caliber of a luxury BOF vehicle actually take this off the beaten path.. maybe a unplowed nordstorm parking lot?

Why give folks something they dont use, when they can make due with a sporty luxury CUV. Folks who need the offroad guts of the LX, usually purchase them 2nd hand, and/or can switch into an LC new.

Reactions
Lexus said starting with every new model introduced from 2021 model year and forward, they will have an electrified version of the model. It can be a hybrid like a RX450h or full electric like the UXe. They did not specify what size engine for what model. It was a very general statement, not going into details about specific models.
On the new IS, the person that saw the new model said it was great looking and a bit bigger, but not as big as the GS.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Just a observation,

Very few of the folks who buy the LX new, or any vehicle with the caliber of a luxury BOF vehicle actually take this off the beaten path.. maybe a unplowed nordstorm parking lot?

Why give folks something they dont use, when they can make due with a sporty luxury CUV. Folks who need the offroad guts of the LX, usually purchase them 2nd hand, and/or can switch into an LC new.

It is not so much about doing expeditions/overlanding/offroading - though a number of them are - as simlply being able to in case. Most LX in Eastern Europe, Africa and Middle East are driven on paved roads, but they have the ability to leave the road for a short period if the situation demands it. And that is the main point. In addition, many roads in those countried are in really bad condition, which damage all vehicles and are uncomfortable for passengers. LX is overkill for this give its off-road origins, but at least for it is effortless, something other CUVs struggle with, moreso with age.