suxeL

Follower
Reactions
It is not so much about doing expeditions/overlanding/offroading - though a number of them are - as simlply being able to in case. Most LX in Eastern Europe, Africa and Middle East are driven on paved roads, but they have the ability to leave the road for a short period if the situation demands it. And that is the main point. In addition, many roads in those countried are in really bad condition, which damage all vehicles and are uncomfortable for passengers. LX is overkill for this give its off-road origins, but at least for it is effortless, something other CUVs struggle with, moreso with age.

My comment was for simply in markets where this isnt a concern. For those countries, where sales of LX are more then just the meager 3k, I wouldnt change it. Sorry for leaving that out

Will1991

Reactions
Lexus just launched a new LX, being the first Lexus BEV to be sold on NA!

lexus-lx-ride-on-vehicle.jpg

Sources:

A bit more serious now, nice one Lexus!

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Lexus just launched a new LX, being the first Lexus BEV to be sold on NA!

lexus-lx-ride-on-vehicle.jpg

Sources:

A bit more serious now, nice one Lexus!

According to some of our more critical fellow enthusiasts, Lexus shouldn't be wasting time on pointless things (i.e. jets, yachts, design competitions or even...children's charity toys?) when they could be focusing on building actual cars to replace a poorly aged lineup.

Except they can't seem un-compassionate towards kids so thats why I am representing today.

Flame suit on. :)

No but really, for those who couldn't catch the sarcasm, I am very happy to see this. The toy LX looks great.

mikeavelli

Reactions
With gas prices dropping it seems the move away from V-8’s makes less sense. The competition offers tons of V-8s along with other engine choices.

Hopefully there is a V-8 option.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
Toyota just trademarked an iForce-Max engine so what is it for? Could it be the revised version of the current 5.7L V8?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
With gas prices dropping it seems the move away from V-8’s makes less sense. The competition offers tons of V-8s along with other engine choices.

Hopefully there is a V-8 option.

Dropping V8s isn't a gas price thing, it's recognition that the regulatory environment is extremely uncertain right now but generally negative, especially in Europe and China. That's why the C63 is going turbo-4.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

The 3.4-liter six makes 416 horsepower and a stout 442 pound-feet of torque when it's bolted into the Lexus LS. Buyers will also have the option of ordering a hybrid powertrain built around the aforementioned V6 (and, oddly, not around the 3.5-liter six found in the LS 500h)

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Dropping V8s isn't a gas price thing, it's recognition that the regulatory environment is extremely uncertain right now but generally negative, especially in Europe and China. That's why the C63 is going turbo-4.

On top of that, the big drop in crude hinges on the whims of Russia and Saudi Arabia as they battle through this price war.

As many Americans would certainly be enjoying the new low gas prices, we'll be simultaneously losing our shale industry (and profits/jobs that go with it) because they can't sell their product in an artificially low market.

I don't think its wise for a company as big as Toyo/Lex to make major decisions like putting in more v8's for something that could go away in an instant. We've been through a price war recently 2014-2015 and prices eventually went up again.

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
The used car market would be the first ones to cry about loosing a V8, as its the biggest pull...easy to work on, reliable data already exists. The new car market is alot more forgiving. As long as its a great drive, interior bests the others stalwarts in the market has the next generation of safety systems its gonna be alright.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The used car market would be the first ones to cry about loosing a V8, as its the biggest pull...easy to work on, reliable data already exists. The new car market is alot more forgiving. As long as its a great drive, interior bests the others stalwarts in the market has the next generation of safety systems its gonna be alright.
But automakers do not build for the used car market; they build for the new car market. And the new car market is under a lot of pressures these days to lower (CO2) emissions.

The easiest way to reduce CO2 emissions is reduce fuel consumption. The easiest way to reduce fuel consumption is to use smaller engines. Regardless of what the used car market may scream for, large 8-, 12-cylinder and larger engines are becoming novelties and exceptions.

It was not that long ago that 8- and 12-cylinder engines were rare and exceptions. It was continued low fuel prices and the one-upmanship of the horsepower wars that made multi-cylinder engines commonplace.

Will1991

Reactions
@Sulu , just a small footnote, reducing fuel consumption is the only way to reduce CO2.
CO, NOx, HC, PM, (etc) are related with the way you burn it and can be controlled with all kind of technologies (SCR, DPF, Catalytic converters, etc...) but not CO2.

CO2 is in direct measure for how much you burn, no matter how you burn it.

For each liter of gasoline/petrol you burn, you will have 2,3kg of CO2
For each liter of diesel you burn, you will have 2,6kg of CO2

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
But automakers do not build for the used car market; they build for the new car market. And the new car market is under a lot of pressures these days to lower (CO2) emissions.

The easiest way to reduce CO2 emissions is reduce fuel consumption. The easiest way to reduce fuel consumption is to use smaller engines. Regardless of what the used car market may scream for, large 8-, 12-cylinder and larger engines are becoming novelties and exceptions.

It was not that long ago that 8- and 12-cylinder engines were rare and exceptions. It was continued low fuel prices and the one-upmanship of the horsepower wars that made multi-cylinder engines commonplace.

We are in agreement on that end. Problem is the vocal minority aka the used market/2nd owners are usually the first ones to the forums about how unreliable anything other the 8 cylinders under the hood.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The rumor of it getting smaller to me would position a larger Tundra based Lexus SUV better. We know dealers are begging for the Escalade sized fighter. There are even rumors of a 7 seat Aston Martin DBX coming.

I just don't think they realize how much people insist on V-8's. And gas today has plummeted.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I am good with four seats but want four doors. We have an 11 Accord coupe and although it's doable, there's a bit of hassle especially if lots of places to go. I think family-oriented buyers (who are above average in discerning a good or bad drive) should not be penalized and be limited to driving minivans and SUVs haha.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The rumor of it getting smaller to me would position a larger Tundra based Lexus SUV better. We know dealers are begging for the Escalade sized fighter. There are even rumors of a 7 seat Aston Martin DBX coming.

I just don't think they realize how much people insist on V-8's. And gas today has plummeted.

I don't understand why Lexus dealers are barely whining about having that now, because I now foresee a situation like RX-L in 2014 with resources only being committed in 2015 for December 2017 launch.

Some blame should lie on Lexus corporate if they allegedly lacked foresight to compete there, but I don't think they're going to be making anything Escalade ESV sized anytime soon and their dealers should've known better than to ask closer to the arrival date of a redesigned vehicle. Dealers should know better than that and have better channels of communication earlier on, regarding their wants.

People who associate with anything automotive professionally, should know how long it takes to develop a vehicle and associated variants, to bring up their concerns in a timely fashion. The time to ask these questions with fervor should have been right after the LX got facelifted for 2016. Not when a lot of things are locked in and beyond point of return. They did this with RX too late, instead of being insistent on it circa 2011-2012 and look what happened.

Whined too late in 2014, killed RC cabrio as a consequence, and then forced a haphazardly done RXL. Are the dealers helping or hurting Lexus I wonder at times? Who knows.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
5 seats in 2 rows, so 4 doors. Logic tells 7 seats in 3 rows, so 6 doors? Nope.

Anyway, most 'family' CUVs/SUVs should get sliding rear doors, it is so much more practical, and with electric everything and soft-close so cheap and common, it is a no brainer. But no, carmakers are lazy and prefer scaming everyone. No wonder with such foolish buyers. Kia Telluride should have had sliding rear doors. On SUVs like Sequoia or Landcruiser it is arguable, but for CUVs there are no excuses.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Are the dealers helping or hurting Lexus I wonder at times? Who knows.

With marketing having a much more significant impact on sales than before (do I need to prove this?), it is important for sales people of any industry in the consumer market especially where most purchases are emotion rather than rational in B2B, that these sales people not only use apply their learned sales techniques, but also understand and convey the brand image/culture/identity/'lifestyle'/whatever.

The one thing where the German car industry is really the best in the world is marketing (not engineering), to the extent that consumers think it is engineering. Kudos!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Are the dealers helping or hurting Lexus I wonder at times? Who knows.

I think it's funny that dealers just recently are putting up a fuss about an Escalade competitor. I think the exact reason Lexus lost its cache was because of the rise of the Escalade in the early 2000s. Prior to that it was pretty common to see e.g. NFL superstar Randy Moss driving his LS, but almost overnight it was all Escalades. And after that fad blew over (it's still going to an extent, but not like it was then) the celebs all went European. But overall, that was GM's best badge-engineering idea ever, even if the execution on stock models was always suspect.