Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
What do you think the odds are some of their high profile projects are being intentionally delayed or lengthened to account for the imminent global recession? At this point it's guaranteed to happen. It has already begun around the world, and US and China will only hang on for another year maximum. By stretching the development process they could reduce the short-term risk and prepare a better product for the recovery period after the recession (2-3 years after a recession is usually the best time to launch luxury products).

Oh no, I hadn't thought of that...LC-F too maybe on that basis? How ground up was the LF-1? Heavy production basis (like 2013 LF-NX), light-to-moderate production basis (like 2015 LF-FC) or entirely from scratch (2012 LF-LC)?

As for any incoming recession, yes it is a cause for concern with any company, as I'm myself being very careful with investments/stocks, let alone a large company on capital expenditure.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Oh no, I hadn't thought of that...LC-F too maybe on that basis? How ground up was the LF-1? Heavy production basis (like 2013 LF-NX), light-to-moderate production basis (like 2015 LF-FC) or entirely from scratch (2012 LF-LC)?

As for any incoming recession, yes it is a cause for concern with any company, as I'm myself being very careful with investments/stocks, let alone a large company on capital expenditure.

The GA-F LX could happen sooner because the J300 is near completion anyway. The LF-1 is a much riskier project which is why I think they could be delaying it for the recession. And the LC-F could receive similar treatment if it was a more ambitious project than just 'LC500 with a pair of turbos and some carbon fibre'.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If they call it "LX 600" with the same 3.5L TT V6 just to make it sound like an upgrade over the LX 570... yeah... not sure I have words for that.

Mild hybrid + 3.5L TT V6 is compelling because that engine is lacking the smoothness of a V8, so such a setup would help create a more luxurious/refined driving experience.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
What do you think the odds are some of their high profile projects are being intentionally delayed or lengthened to account for the imminent global recession? At this point it's guaranteed to happen. It has already begun around the world, and US and China will only hang on for another year maximum. By stretching the development process they could reduce the short-term risk and prepare a better product for the recovery period after the recession (2-3 years after a recession is usually the best time to launch luxury products).

Glad you posted it. I was thinking this same exact idea sometime last week but got distracted and didn't get to start a post on the recession theory.

It does make a lot of sense as Lexus has been bulking up their bottom half offerings and would explain the decision to delay new GS activities. The recession just seems to be hovering these days. Any conglomerate without at least a plan to hedge against recession is just begging for a shellacking. A lot of big companies and hedge funds are hoarding cash in anticipation.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Long story short if @Carmaker1 naming trademark, and the LX will stay as LandCruiser brother, and the GX becoming niche, so what's the odds of making the production version of LF-1 as the next GX ???

It will give some space for Prado and 4Runner to becoming upscale and it will be in the middle pricing between the FF RX and the BOF LX

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-12-17-lexus-lx-next-generation-rendering.jpg

Japanese website Response is reporting that the next-generation Lexus LX will be revealed in 2020 with a new hybrid powertrain.
The report claims that the current 5.7L V8 will be discontinued, replaced by a 2.5L twin-turbo V6 hybrid with a maximum output of 473 horsepower (295 from the engine, 178 from the electric motor). The LX will continue to be based on the Toyota Landcruiser, and both vehicles will be built on a new TNGA body-on-frame platform.
(This information runs contrary to an earlier rumor from Best Car, which claimed the Best Car reports that the next-gen LX would feature a hybrid built on the 3.5L twin-turbo V6 from the LS sedan. Also, Japanese magazine Mag-X...

Continue reading...

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Honestly don’t care too much about engine size as long as it’s faster. Don’t need the fastest SUV out there but would like to not be the slowest as well...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The claims of a 2.5-liter twin-turbo V6 hybrid for Lexus 4LX makes zero sense. I strongly suspect that the folks at Response.jp meant to write 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 hybrid (thus confirming the earlier Best Car rumor) but instead made a typo when they wrote 2.5 by mistake.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Honestly don’t care too much about engine size as long as it’s faster. Don’t need the fastest SUV out there but would like to not be the slowest as well...

A LX v6TT (with no v8 option) would more or less confirm that Lexus knows, that lack of v8 wasn't a determining factor in low LS sales, and would shut a lot of people up (not really because they'll still complain about the v8).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but was there a rumor that the refreshed LC would also lose the v8?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

In that case they would be delayed by 5 years or more.

Btw, Toyota is predicting slightly higher car sales worldwide in 2020, not downturn.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The claims of a 2.5-liter twin-turbo V6 hybrid for Lexus 4LX makes zero sense. I strongly suspect that the folks at Response.jp meant to write 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 hybrid (thus confirming the earlier Best Car rumor) but instead made a typo when they wrote 2.5 by mistake.

From what I have heard, that twin turbo 2.5L V6 is...... wrong. I would like to see the following in an LX: TT V6, TT V6 + hybrid, and V8 (hybrid?) for LX F.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but was there a rumor that the refreshed LC would also lose the v8?

I haven't heard that. If anything, I've seen them mention that the UR V8 is perfectly matched to the rest of the car and it will remain there for the foreseeable future. Allegedly, the reason they didn't put that V8 in the LS is because it's too high revving and they wanted something with more torque.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
From what I have heard, that twin turbo 2.5L V6 is...... wrong.
Indeed, what I've heard is a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder turbo (presumably a boosted variant of the RAV4 / Camry A25A-FKS with thicker cylinder walls and linings that reduce displacement slightly to 2.4-liters) and more widespread use of the V35A-FTS unit currently limited to the latest Lexus LS 500.

Will1991

Reactions
Btw, Toyota is predicting slightly higher car sales worldwide in 2020, not downturn.

But don't forget a new Yaris is coming with a really nice upgrade on quality and engineering, and this is a high seller in Europe.
A Hybrid variant will also arrive at Australia, which should sell very well.

Also, a CHR facelift with a 2.0HSD is starting to roll out and this should improve on a already good sales volume. This model will arrive to Australia as well.

There is also a new HighLander and seeing from the reviews, it's quite an improvement, it should also improve on sales numbers.

Then there is BEV's (CHR/UX300e), they will sell in a previous uncharted territory...

We as enthusiasts always want more (including me), but Toyota is getting very strong on almost all segments, after this will hopefully come Lexus, can't wait for it. Specially to know what they will do to the CT and to the IS.

I haven't heard that. If anything, I've seen them mention that the UR V8 is perfectly matched to the rest of the car and it will remain there for the foreseeable future. Allegedly, the reason they didn't put that V8 in the LS is because it's too high revving and they wanted something with more torque.

I know an easy fix... Slap a couple of turbos : )

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i think their sales predictions are very much based on state of global economy @Will1991 . There are always new models and old models, for instance Yaris is having its record year due to the pricing, old one might improve only a bit since it will be priced higher but then Corolla and Rav4 and Camry will be another year older, and not new shiny things.

Reactions
For the U.S. Market, the brand new 2021 Model year LX600 will be out in the late fall/winter of 2020. About that time, we should also see the brand new 2021 IS. The brand new GX and RX are scheduled to be a 2022 model year coming fall of 2021. An AWD ES is scheduled to arrive in 2021 as a 2022 mode but not confirmed. The LC convertible will be out fall of 2020. I think the LC should have been out in spring during our warmer months!! Not many convertibles around during the winter in Colorado. At least not with the top down.

Starting with 2021 New Lexus models, every model will have both a Gas and a Hybrid/Electric versions. So we will finally get a Hybrid GX and LX. The potential gas mileage of a LX can go up from 14 MPG to 30 MPG. That's huge!!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So
There will be LX500 with hybrid TT 2.5l
And LX600 with hybrid TT 3.5l ??

did I got it right? Or the hybrid TT 2.5l is just not for LX and they mixed the news with other Lexus car IS ???

Last edited: