Lexus to Cancel CT in Favor of Sub-Compact Crossover?

Reactions
It might be a UX mule. I'm not sure, the front end appeared to be a modified Venza.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Test Mule for Upcoming Model spotted in San Francisco, CA, 6/1/16.

Not enough photos and angles to determine that is a Toyota prototype. Camouflage doesn't look like what Toyota usually uses, and rims look like production rims, but not a typical Toyota design.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Test Mule for Upcoming Model spotted in San Francisco, CA, 6/1/16.
thanks for the pics, is it only me or does this look longer than C-HR? Are we sure it is a Lexus?

It is far from a Lexus and notably the redesigned 2017 Honda CRV. The grille doesn't even have the shape of a Spindle Grille. As CIF said, Toyota doesn't use such camouflage, Honda does. All OEMs vary nowadays by pattern and can be used as an identifier when the "make" is unknown.

Reactions: CIF

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Not enough photos and angles to determine that is a Toyota prototype. Camouflage doesn't look like what Toyota usually uses, and rims look like production rims, but not a typical Toyota design.

Well, in this one photo, I can see it's the next Honda CRV, in remembering recent spy shots I saw either in April or early May. It's definitely far from a Lexus. At this point, the next RAV4 might be coming along, but it wouldn't be testing so soon.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Well, in this one photo, I can see it's the next Honda CRV, in remembering recent spy shots I saw either in April or early May. It's definitely far from a Lexus. At this point, the next RAV4 might be coming along, but it wouldn't be testing so soon.
You're right, it looks just like the next-gen CR-V:
honda-cr-v003-1.jpg

Same rims, same pillars, same camo, same headlights, same everything

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Great points and great eye everyone! I figured it was not a Toyota prototype, but I'm just not familiar enough with Honda's prototypes to be able to tell it was a CR-V prototype.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Bringing back this dormant thread because a second published report has appeared suggesting that Lexus CT will be discontinued in favor of a Toyota C-HR-derived sub-compact crossover (Lexus UX). This one appears in the August 2016 print edition of Motor Trend magazine, and is written by Mike Connor as part of his MT Confidential column. He suggests that 2017 will be the final model year for CT. The full (but rather brief) text, along with some commentary and analysis from yours truly, appear in my latest Kaizen Factor piece:

http://kaizen-factor.com/2017-last-year-lexus-ct-line/

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
They've completely lost it. Sure the C-hr whatever its called will sell. Maybe that's because the CT200h is only FWD. Offer it in RWD or better yet 4WD and sales will jump even more. Lexus lost our business & it went to Subaru hatch instead because of this lacking feature.

Another crossover bleh. Maybe the reason why it sell is because its the only NEW thing being offered. Bet if they update CT with better everything, CT will outsell that Ch crossover all day.

*sucks*

Reactions
In Norway the CT sells quite well. It is the most-selling Lexus. Not strange; Good quality, smart car, OK size, and it does not cost that much money. All cars in Norway costs @%&§*, so the CT comes inside reach for a normal wallet. If the CT disappears Lexus will loose a foot in the Norwegian market.

The FWD has some advantages on snowy roads. That will be OK for the average Norwegian driver. The most "important" will be that the CT will give them a good reliable car, with quality and comfort.

If the CT disappear (and not become replaced) it will missed.

:cool:

D

DDas

I blame Lexus for not doing anything about it. I mean I feel like they are just watching it die. You can't come out with a hatch that competes with cars like the Audi A3 hatch, Mercedes AClass, etc. and have it lack performance. This car would do so much better if it had better performance, better styling (including that bleh interior), and even better advertising. Lexus, quit it with the same RX and ES commercials. Showcase all your models. That LS and LX commercial lasted about a day where I live.

Reactions
Here is a good picture of the A-Class. (Sorry I did not find the picture from the Swedish paper Teknikens Varld that was taken 0,5 seconds later)
a-klasse.png

I regard the CT as slightly larger. But it is in the same class, and is having at solid foot there in Norway. In Norway also the SUV's are very popular. The Lexus SUV's are popular so the CT could come into the small SUV range. It would fit nicely there. There is room for both.

:cool:

Reactions
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I don't think It's going to be cancelled. These photos show a mule on european roads. The mule is a current Toyota Auris with a front from the new Prius. As with the current CT the next one will most likely share the same hybrid system as the new Prius, that's why a Prius front on the mule makes sense.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 1753 View attachment 1754 View attachment 1755 View attachment 1756 View attachment 1757 View attachment 1758 View attachment 1759 I don't think It's going to be cancelled. These photos show a mule on european roads. The mule is a current Toyota Auris with a front from the new Prius. As with the current CT the next one will most likely share the same hybrid system as the new Prius, that's why a Prius front on the mule makes sense.
This is looks like the Scion IM replacement.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
This is looks like the Scion IM replacement.
Yep. They are the same car. European Toyota Auris became US Scion iM.

CT200h has been the best selling Lexus in Europe for several years (until the new NX came out), and the second best selling Lexus hybrid in the World. See: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/04/12/lexus-sells-one-million-hybrid-vehicles-since-2005/

The competitors (A-class, 1-series, and A3) beat the CT in power, tech, and have been refreshed more recently. The current CT only beats the competitors in fuel economy, front seats, reliability, and noise. It is time to up the game without going totally SUV-crazy.

Reactions
I don't think the LEXUS CT will be renewed. It shares the same platform as the SCION tC, and the tC is going "bye-bye" as a final 2017 model as well if I remember correctly, with the death of SCION. Both are built on the old platform, so for cost reasons I don't see TOYOTA/LEXUS continuing the CT as it might not be "Cost Effective" since neither are on the newer TNGA and GA-L platforms that they are switching to.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I don't think the LEXUS CT will be renewed. It shares the same platform as the SCION tC, and the tC is going "bye-bye" as a final 2017 model as well if I remember correctly, with the death of SCION. Both are built on the old platform, so for cost reasons I don't see TOYOTA/LEXUS continuing the CT as it might not be "Cost Effective" since neither are on the newer TNGA and GA-L platforms that they are switching to.
Following that logic the other old-platform models, such as Toyota Corolla, Auris, Avensis, Prius+/Prius V, etc. will be cancelled as well. For all we know, the models (including the CT200h) are on track to move to TNGA. With the styling of the last Prius it only makes sense to offer a Lexus-styled alternative.