Lexus to Cancel CT in Favor of Sub-Compact Crossover?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^That hurts my eyes.

I'll respect your view, but I don't find it ugly at all. In fact, if it sat a couple of inches higher, it would be an excellent (though, of course, more upscale) competitor to some Subarus.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
^That hurts my eyes.

Yeah. It is a sloppy 'shop. The current CT uses the taillight design language of the previous gen. RX. This picture removes the flat section behind the rear window and ends up looking like a previous end RX tailgate fused onto a CT.

The next CT (unless it gets cancelled) will of course not have the design language of the previous gen. This seems almost like the updated MB A-class treatment. Lexus will not even begin to consider getting away with this level of lazyness.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-04-25-lexus-ct-rendering.jpg

The latest chapter in the ongoing saga of the next-gen CT.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
If it's hybrid only again, Lexus just made the same mistake again, and sales will only have a minor increase. In North America, maybe the CT successor will be a sedan-only model like the new A3 models here. All I'm asking for is a sporty, handsome hatch with the 2.0T engine, and of course an F option.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
If it's hybrid only again, Lexus just made the same mistake again, and sales will only have a minor increase. In North America, maybe the CT successor will be a sedan-only model like the new A3 models here. All I'm asking for is a sporty, handsome hatch with the 2.0T engine, and of course an F option.
I think the F won't happen but a 2.0 would be great. We all want Fs but Lexus has gone slowly on adding them.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

If UX has UX250 and UX250h trademarks, then it stands to reason that same powertrains will be in CT too. Or at least it will be easily available for Lexus to add. I assume these will be the same as upcoming Camry, so around 200hp for both.

Now for markets that need smaller engines, I wonder if 250 will be 1.5l turbo and if Europe and Japan will simply get Prius powertrain. When faced with choice, European buyers will likely buy 120hp powertrain from Prius by large while smaller turbo would be powerful enough for USA and mpg rated enough for Europe.

Those 3 powertrains would satisfy wide array of markets, but will it happen?

As to F version, I think F-Sport with 200hp will be fine here.

arrow1982

Fan
Reactions
In America they lost out big on sales because the 1CT was hybrid only. In Europe they lost quite a bit of sales because it was only Prius-power with 10 sec 0-60. The Auris hybrid here (which has the Prius engine) is just the much better deal for money, with LED, leather, pre-crash and stuff available for less money. Only thing the Auris hasn't is the ML sound. But the 10k Euro premium over the Auris is hardly worth it.

So a 250/250h config would make sense. If the 200h is unavoidable, then please add 300h. In Europe the 200h is pretty pointless, as said the Auris is a much better deal for its money.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
In America they lost out big on sales because the 1CT was hybrid only. In Europe they lost quite a bit of sales because it was only Prius-power with 10 sec 0-60. The Auris hybrid here (which has the Prius engine) is just the much better deal for money, with LED, leather, pre-crash and stuff available for less money. Only thing the Auris hasn't is the ML sound. But the 10k Euro premium over the Auris is hardly worth it.

So a 250/250h config would make sense. If the 200h is unavoidable, then please add 300h. In Europe the 200h is pretty pointless, as said the Auris is a much better deal for its money.
I'm not sure who makes the decisions at Lexus, but they are not very smart!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

CT200h sold well everywhere, so I dont think they lost out on sales due to bigger engine needed... not many people end up buying bigger engine options.
Sales went down because it got old and less cool. New Auris is also certainly nicer than old one but overall CT200h is now old vehicle.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
The next CT if there is in fact a CT in NA should offer hybrid and a non hybrid power train.

I totally agree. Lexus should expand the CT line and not discontinue it. Also increase the length and width by an inch and add cupholders in the back seats.

CT 250
CT 250h
CT 300 (FKA 200t)

Lexus you can so do it...I have faith in Lexus...

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Disturbing. Shows you management don't have a grasp of the future and markets.

Sales of the CT since inception:

2011 14,381
2012 17,673
2013 15,071
2014 17,673
2015 14,657
2016 8,903
2017 2,486 (Jan - Apr) I project about 7,500 CT's to be sold in 2017.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Its like they don't know what to do. CT and a few other models are suffering the Toyota truck dept syndrome. 'Refusal, disbelief that their actual truck owners want a Locker & Diesel option'. We've complained and demanded it but Toyota turns deaf/blind.

I really hope the next CT will have TT and AWD options.

Reactions
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-lexus-ct200h-is-dead-hybrid-hatch-wont-return-for-2018/
The Lexus CT200h Is Dead: Hybrid Hatch Won’t Return for 2018

The Lexus CT200h has reached the end of the line. Lexus said the hybrid hatchback won’t return for the 2018 model year, at least in the United States; it’ll continue to be sold elsewhere for the foreseeable future. The CT first arrived in 2011 and has been Lexus’s smallest and least expensive offering for several years now.

We’re not too surprised by this news, given the CT’s age and dwindling sales numbers. Lexus sold just 8903 copies of the CT200h in 2016, a fraction of the sales numbers enjoyed by other entry-luxury models such as the Mercedes-Benz CLA-class (25,792) and the Audi A3 (31,538) during the same time frame. The CT200h’s hybrid drivetrain, shared with the previous-generation Toyota Prius, had also started to look outdated, with its 42-mpg EPA combined fuel economy far outclassed by the latest Prius and its 52-mpg rating.

So what’s next for the low end of Lexus’s lineup? A new subcompact crossover called the UX is on its way, and it is likely to have a hybrid variant that will act as a sort of de facto replacement for the CT. Until then, the cheapest way to snag a new L-badged vehicle will be the $36,260 NX crossover—or perhaps a discount on one of the remaining 2017 CT200h models still found at Lexus dealers for now.
officially official in the US market?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
So very similar to the HS, the CT will be discontinued in the U.S. but will be sold elsewhere such as Japan. What a bummer. I was looking forward to the 2CT. I say Lexus bring the 2CT to the U.S. with improvements and if it doesn't do any better then discontinue it. Give it a second chance...

The UX will be a hit no doubt and I look forward to seeing it on the streets.

Lexus seems they will also bring the LF-SA to market which kinda puzzles me. It's even smaller than the CT and Lexus thinks this will sell more units then the CT? Who knows what the future will bring.