Lexus to Cancel CT in Favor of Sub-Compact Crossover?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-07-26-lexus-ux-200-rendering.jpg

The Lexus UX is rendered by Japanese publication MAG-X.
View the original article post

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I see a prime candidate for the naturally-aspirated 5.0L V8 to be mounted behind the driver!

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I think this is brilliant (if true). IMO Lexus will sell tons of them. My only issue is a selfish one - we're going to need our CT replaced well before 2019.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Although the new rendering looks good, probably a F Sport version, I still think it's a little too late for Lexus.
The market has been saturated for this type of car, especially in Europe.
And I don't like the name either, CX was far better, I think.
Anyway, I'm looking forward for the introduction of the LC. As part of the European Tour, he's coming and I'm invited ! :grinning:

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
So if Lexus will keep the CT hopefully the 2018 model year will be the 2CT...

I can't see Lexus with both a 2CT and the UX. If they launch the UX, the CT is likely done like dinner.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I can't see Lexus with both a 2CT and the UX. If they launch the UX, the CT is likely done like dinner.

The IS and ES has co-existed for quit some time now. Both are entry level sedans each with a different purpose. As we all know the IS is rwd and sporty, etc. whereas the ES is fwd and caters more on the luxury side. The ES is the highest selling Lexus sedan and is the second highest selling vehicle. The RX is the all time highest selling Lexus vehicle.

The UX and CT are in two different categories and each with a different purpose. Both models wouldn't impede on either category/market. I still think Lexus should expand the CT line to bring in more buyers and of course introduce the UX line as well. More models/variants the better...

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Unfortunately what makes the CT unique in US is the consistently lower sales volume (when compared to RX, ES, IS), which should be a concern. Maybe the UX has the potential for much better volume, at least in the North American market where small-mid SUV/crossover growth is explosive.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
For the record, Autocar, in an online confidential column makes this prediction:

Upcoming Lexus CT

The next Lexus CT, which will be revealed before 2018, will offer “something above” the current car, according to Toyota senior manager Rembert Serrus.

He hinted that the next CT will be the first Lexus product to offer semi-autonomous driving technology.

I'd never heard of Rembert Serrus before, but his LinkedIn profile ( https://www.linkedin.com/in/rembert-serrus-8a46b94b ) informs us that he is the Senior Manager - Total Vehicle Assessment & Management for Toyota Motor Europe, and is based in Belgium.

Chalk this up as one suggestion that there will a 2nd-gen CT, but color me deeply skeptical that said CT would be the first Lexus product to offer semi-autonomous driving technology. The German 3 are kicking off their semi-autonomous tech higher up in the model range, and, within Lexus, 5LS would be a far more logical place to start than a 2CT.

Oh, here's the link for the story:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/confidential/autocar-confidential-jlr-ferrari-cadillac-lexus

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
^^^^^^Very good news on the 2CT. Hopefully this is credible and that a 2CT does come into fruition...

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
For the record, Autocar, in an online confidential column makes this prediction:

I'd never heard of Rembert Serrus before, but his LinkedIn profile ( https://www.linkedin.com/in/rembert-serrus-8a46b94b ) informs us that he is the Senior Manager - Total Vehicle Assessment & Management for Toyota Motor Europe, and is based in Belgium.

Chalk this up as one suggestion that there will a 2nd-gen CT, but color me deeply skeptical that said CT would be the first Lexus product to offer semi-autonomous driving technology. The German 3 are kicking off their semi-autonomous tech higher up in the model range, and, within Lexus, 5LS would be a far more logical place to start than a 2CT.

Oh, here's the link for the story:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/confidential/autocar-confidential-jlr-ferrari-cadillac-lexus

That is extremely concerning, as that connotes that the next LS is not due before then or will not offer semi-autonomous technology. Being based in Belgium, I can imagine he's seen both cars.

That is good news for the next generation (presume to be ZWA20 CT), but not for the LS nor the brand as a whole. How well does the LC even compete in regards to new technology, that one expects in a flagship? Does this company no longer get the meaning of flagship nor understand the top-down approach?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The next Lexus CT, which will be revealed before 2018, will offer “something above” the current car, according to Toyota senior manager Rembert Serrus.

See, I read "above" as someone being clever -- a sub-compact crossover would certainly be "above" the hatchback.

I'm leaning more and more to the CT being cancelled, but wouldn't this have been a decision Lexus made years ago? What market trends even two years ago would have suggested that a luxury Prius wouldn't sell? Would the next-generation CT perform so poorly that Lexus is happy to eat the development costs?

If true, the decision to cancel the CT seems so rash to me.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
That is extremely concerning, as that connotes that the next LS is not due before then or will not offer semi-autonomous technology. Being based in Belgium, I can imagine he's seen both cars.

That is good news for the next generation (presume to be ZWA20 CT), but not for the LS nor the brand as a whole. How well does the LC even compete in regards to new technology, that one expects in a flagship? Does this company no longer get the meaning of flagship nor understand the top-down approach?

Lexus debuting their new autonomous tech in the CT/UX would be a tremendous opportunity lost for the new LS, and I just can't see that happening. Have to think this tech will be on the new LS early next year, and the next-generation CT/UX is more likely to be a 2018 reveal.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
The UX and CT are in two different categories and each with a different purpose. Both models wouldn't impede on either category/market. I still think Lexus should expand the CT line to bring in more buyers and of course introduce the UX line as well. More models/variants the better...

I hope so!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus debuting their new autonomous tech in the CT/UX would be a tremendous opportunity lost for the new LS, and I just can't see that happening. Have to think this tech will be on the new LS early next year, and the next-generation CT/UX is more likely to be a 2018 reveal.

That's why I really don't understand his statement. It is deceitful and inaccurate of him to claim that the next CT would debut such technology as a first for the Lexus brand, if it is not going to. The flagship redesign is the reasonable expectation for such a landmark and is due next year. Either the LS gets it first by debuting in that order or the CT truly is first instead, meaning that there are unspoken delays for the LS500 or gross incompetence of upper management to release a new flagship devoid of such trendsetting tech, while a model on the opposite end introduces it simultaneously.

I can understand with the LC, they are more concerned with weight and overall performance, to avoid overloading it with too much. Now with the LS, it is meant to show the best of the Toyota corporation as a whole, not even just the Toyota brand. It is why Lexus exists. That statement has double-meaning, in the sense that the LS made the brand and that the brand was made to showcase the best of the company. For that reason, there are some issues I have with Serrus's assertion that the entry level offering is the very vehicle in question.

All this despite Toyota testing LS600hL mules with such capabilities the past 4 years. The CT just might be ONE of the first Lexus models with semi-autonomous tech, but to imply it will be the very first model in the lineup means something entirely different and it would give me great disappointment with their product planning department.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have to admit that I haven't followed the new Prius or Prime much but does it offer semi-driving tech or anything close to it? It seems every company is pretty close to debuting the next generation of it.

And now it just makes sense it becomes a CUV, they simply sell.