maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Guys

After the Corolla and Yaris obviously went to premium hatch even in material at the top trims, it's not logic to have a Lexus relatives

The Lexus relatives will be to the Yaris Cross / CHR and only because the materials are not the top notched in comparison to the non lifted brothers

CT is dead for good
Honestly if you see the LF-CT and the current new Corolla, you will realise that it's just the Lexus concept

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
It's only my impression adding to that the coming recession, which will only increase the mid, high and ultimate price range but not the little

Honestly just see the side profile for both

Will1991

Reactions
Can’t disagree, they do share a lot!

But I think a second gen CT makes a lot more sense with a recession... With less cash available people will tend do spend it more wisely, and a cheaper more fuel efficient hatchback would make so much more sense.
It was CT’s main reason to exist, to offer a fuel efficient, practical and well built car for a good price to bring more costumers into Lexus during the not so long ago financial recession.

It’s only my opinion but It was fun half a year ago to expect a LC F, a LF-1, a V8 LS... But with a projected recession coming does it make sense? Maybe, a second CT, a Tesla Model 3 fighter, a new NX/IS would make much more sense given families lower income.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly in all the past recessions you will see that the luxurious items get sold more and that's logic because the most level standard that's some how safe is the highest, and so the luxurious items sold more

The previous 2008-2010 recession isn't different though, as for example, Land Rover's market share actually increased across Europe during the last financial crisis. It grew from 0.4% in 2008 and ended up at 1% by 2012

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'll tell you right now, and this is a sad reality, most "market downturns" are literally just rich people who have hoarded all the capital (i deal with these people, this isn't some strawman) realizing that sitting at home spending their pile of riches is just as good as taking risk and investing in new companies.

I'm seeing teams of hardworking startups get wiped out because old, easy money jagoffs are hiding away in their mansions, and all interest in funding anything is evaporating.

Sorry to vent, just in response to the post by maiaramdan above. They'll start spending more on luxury stuff to signal they're still good. And they're not investing it at scale, so what's an extra car vs that 2% stake in some company you're not up for anyways.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
@maiaramdan , about the CT, is it your opinion or has some inside information?

I still have a soft spot for that model.
The CT was developed from the original Toyota Auris (Corolla Hatchback), as I recall, with the same wheelbase and CT being a bit longer.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Guys

After the Corolla and Yaris obviously went to premium hatch even in material at the top trims, it's not logic to have a Lexus relatives

The Lexus relatives will be to the Yaris Cross / CHR and only because the materials are not the top notched in comparison to the non lifted brothers

CT is dead for good
Honestly if you see the LF-CT and the current new Corolla, you will realise that it's just the Lexus concept

Corolla is OK, it is not luxurious vehicle tho, just better than Auris.

They would not invest so much in keeping CT, unless they planned new version... so I am sure you will have new CT and another smaller than UX CUV coming to Lexus range. They are making so much money with UX in Europe, they will want to make more.

Reactions: Den

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , just take a look at the Yaris GR when it will be released at any near saloon and you will say it's luxurious by yourself,

Corolla is no different with 360hp + and coupe doors as Yaris GR for the Corolla GR it will be in a really different space than a lot of hot hatches including A class AMG , 1 series M , RS3 , Civic R and all

In short Toyota shifted the strategy in the hatches within the small and city cars to be favoured for Toyota than Lexus

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , just take a look at the Yaris GR when it will be released at any near saloon and you will say it's luxurious by yourself,

Corolla is no different with 360hp + and coupe doors as Yaris GR for the Corolla GR it will be in a really different space than a lot of hot hatches including A class AMG , 1 series M , RS3 , Civic R and all

In short Toyota shifted the strategy in the hatches within the small and city cars to be favoured for Toyota than Lexus

Cool and Luxurious are not the same... so GR Yaris is extra cool, GR Corolla is cool, but they are not luxurious.
I am sure both Yaris and Corolla are itching toward premium, like where Golf is, but it is not really luxurious. Even the top Corolla trim is nice, but not luxury.

And also, shifted strategy from Lexus to Toyota? First, they do not compete between each other, 2nd, you mean shifted from all the focus and attention on CT200H? :).

I could still get Corolla, dont get me wrong.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

lexus-lbx-render-1.jpg

lexus-lbx-render-2.jpg

Rydo

Follower
Reactions

lexus-lbx-render-1.jpg

lexus-lbx-render-2.jpg

Can't see past the NX with that shop.

The UX surely won't eventually replace the CT (Lexus could conceivably kill the CT altogether rather than have a new generation). If that is the case, then it just shows again how unambitious Lexus really are. As I've said multiple times on this forum, take any drive in the UK at least and you'll pass an A1, A3, 1-Series or A-Class within about one minute - these cars are absolutely supreme smash hits for their respective makers.

The CT has became a dinosaur in comparison and no one in their right mind would buy one after seeing the competition.

I'd love Lexus to push the LF-30 design into production - toned down, as a new CT. But then that'd make sense, and Lexus aren't in the game for making sense.

I absolutely loved the LF-SA concept, again I feel like something small and cool and unique like that may bring a lot of attention from young people to the brand. The iQ built a strong cult following in Britain - I don't think it was a great sales success but it at least showed people that Toyota could be a fun car brand (and at that time, their lineup was pretty dross).

We shall wait and see, but like I've said before, a very poor badge-engineered Corolla and Yaris as a CT and maybe a new Audi A1 competitor would be preferable to just dropping the CT and becoming even more blob (CUV) orientated.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
/images/weblog/20-09-27-lexus-lbx-front.jpg
Using the new Toyota Yaris Cross as a starting point, photochopper KDesign has built the Lexus LBX ultra-compact crossover:
/images/weblog/20-09-27-lexus-lbx-rear.jpg
Lexus recently registered the LBX trademark in Europe, leading to speculation that a new crossover could be in development. With no engine code, it’s also possible that LBX isn’t a vehicle at all.
(Even if Lexus was to build such a small crossover, it’s doubtful to ever reach North America. This is also the case with the Yaris Cross, which is limited to the European market).

Continue reading...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Rydo, maybe they need a poor re-badging as you said but i still see it as a handbrake for both Corolla &Yaris shifting more premium and then luxury spectrum by time

Will1991

Reactions
According to BestCar, Lexus version of the Yaris Cross will have 1.8L hybrid engine instead of the 1.5L hybrid found on the Yaris.
This differentiation between Toyota and Lexus might mean a bigger car for Lexus.

Source: こ、こんなに大人気とは… ミツオカ初のSUV「バディ」アクセス殺到の勝因とは? (bestcarweb.jp)

This sounds a bit strange to me as it would leave UX in a really bad position... Yaris Cross has a lenght of 4.180mm and the UX 4.495mm, if the Lexus version grows up it will be very close to the UX and it even might end up having better interior space... What do you think?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Isn't the engine compartment of GA-B so narrow it could not fit a 4-cylinder engine? Plus the 1.8L system is pretty underwhelming compared to the ridiculously efficient 1.5L system (~10% better).

Still the decision makes sense since I've always doubted Lexus will use a 3 cylinder engine.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What they probably mean by larger is classic 5-15cm size increase in Lexus due to differently designed bumpers. It will not be a different size class of vehicle.