Will1991

Reactions
The UX300e isn't available for NA, that's why he says:

Q: How do you see Lexus dealers transitioning to an all-EV lineup? What progress are they making?

A:
They’re in the process of transitioning. They’re working on their infrastructure to prepare themselves for our first BEV, the RZ 450e.

And Lexus hasn't announced the MY2023 UX300e, I'm starting to believe it has been cancelled.

Reactions
With the launch of Gen5 RX500h and upcoming Chinese-market Highlander D-4ST, the puzzle of the 2018 powertrain plans published by Toyota is close to complete. The new TNGA family of powertrains started with the Gen.4 1.8L THS-II in the 2016 Prius, and six years later refresh of the lineup begins with the Gen.5 1.8L THS-II in the 2022 Noah. Note the 3.5L V6-TT hybrid system on the new Tundra/Sequoia is not marketed as a hybrid system, but as an engine option "i-Force Max", presumably because it doesn't offer substantial fuel economy gains.
View attachment 5968
Here is a full table of all powertrain combinations of the TNGA family:
View attachment 5970
There are still a few missing components that are reportedly under development:
1) Longitudinal T24-FTS P2 hybrid system, rumored for next-gen Tacoma/4Runner/LCP/GX.
2) Transverse T24-FTS P2 plug-in hybrid system, rumored for TX550h+.
3) 2.8L I4 twin-turbo diesel, rumored for next-gen Hilux/Fortuner/LCP.
4) F33-FTV P2 hybrid system, rumored for LC300/LX hybrid in diesel markets.
5) Flagship F-car powertrain with plug-in hybrid 4.0L V8-TT engine, rumored for "LFA 2".

And finally, 7 out of the 8 AWD systems have been launched. There is one unknown variant of the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system yet to be released. It is not DTC/ATC since these are pre-TNGA technologies.
View attachment 5971

On a slightly separate note, I want to know what platform (TNGA) everyone thinks the next generation IS will be built on; I've just been quite curious lately. The -L platform is the only platform that accommodates a longitudinal engine with RWD, however, the wheelbase range of the platform doesn't really suit a compact sedan. I can see a GS being built on the -L platform in the future, though. My only guess is perhaps the IS will be built on the e-TNGA platform as a BEV.

It could be built on the -K platform, however, I don't really think a transversely mounted engine, with FWD (and optional AWD) will suit a compact sedan. Moreover, I don't think Lexus will be able to equip it with the driving characteristics that most drivers would want in a car like the IS.

These are just my thoughts anyway. I'd love to hear what you guys think would be a TNGA platform that the next generation IS could potentially be built on.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Considering the buyer, I would think ES goes hybrid-only for next gen before going full BEV.

2025 could coincide with the end of 3IS production, which was rumored to be 2021 - 2024 model years. A new 2025 IS BEV could be a great vehicle for all global markets.

Everyone, including Lexus, forgets about the LS. That would be the best fit for a new BEV sedan as LS was historically the forerunner of Lexus and the brand is headed towards being all electric... but it's hard to understand their priorities with that car, unfortunately.

Reactions
On a slightly separate note, I want to know what platform (TNGA) everyone thinks the next generation IS will be built on; I've just been quite curious lately. The -L platform is the only platform that accommodates a longitudinal engine with RWD, however, the wheelbase range of the platform doesn't really suit a compact sedan. I can see a GS being built on the -L platform in the future, though. My only guess is perhaps the IS will be built on the e-TNGA platform as a BEV.

It could be built on the -K platform, however, I don't really think a transversely mounted engine, with FWD (and optional AWD) will suit a compact sedan. Moreover, I don't think Lexus will be able to equip it with the driving characteristics that most drivers would want in a car like the IS.

These are just my thoughts anyway. I'd love to hear what you guys think would be a TNGA platform that the next generation IS could potentially be built on.

Now given that the A100 GR Supra and LFA (LFR) are being developed, it looks like they're going to develop an all new platform dubbed as TNGA-A. It should be better than the TNGA-L platform and I suspect that there is a chance that the new IS could ride on that platform if it's not a full-EV.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
My guess is eTNGA 2.0 for 2025 and future Lexus BEVs. eTNGA needs to transition to cell-to-body by 2025, which requires a redesign to the mid-section.

GA-K like GA-C will be modified to E3 platform that allows PHV/BEV variants to be designed easily, although how that could be done is still beyond me.

Now given that the A100 GR Supra and LFA (LFR) are being developed, it looks like they're going to develop an all new platform dubbed as TNGA-A. It should be better than the TNGA-L platform and I suspect that there is a chance that the new IS could ride on that platform if it's not a full-EV.
There will be no platforms for future sports cars. Every one will have custom chassis optimized for a single purpose with motorsports as priority.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Considering the buyer, I would think ES goes hybrid-only for next gen before going full BEV.

2025 could coincide with the end of IS production, which was rumored to be 2021 - 2024 model years. A new 2025 IS BEV could be a great vehicle for all global markets.

Everyone, including Lexus, forgets about the LS. That would be the best fit for a new BEV sedan as LS was historically the forerunner of Lexus and the brand is headed towards being all electric... but it's hard to understand their priorities with that car, unfortunately.
Definitely. ES buyers aren't installing chargers unless lexus makes it super easy

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
What's the confirmation/source for A100 GR Supra being developed? I also saw the mention of "TNGA-A" on the Supra forum, but what is the source, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Definitely. ES buyers aren't installing chargers unless lexus makes it super easy
Side note, I always wondered what the stats are of PHEV owners actually plugging in their vehicles at night are. Most of the limited amount of folks I spoke to who own the new Prime Rav4, have yet to do so since delivery of their new Rav4.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
What's the confirmation/source for A100 GR Supra being developed? I also saw the mention of "TNGA-A" on the Supra forum, but what is the source, this is the first I'm hearing of this.
Our very own Supra93

Joking, but am I lol

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
A100 supra? Who are they partnering with now? They could develop a 3.2L I6 based off G16E, easily seeing 400hp in base format, also put that in the 4IS. I only pray IS doesn't go ev

nt01

Fan
Reactions
oh trust me I've been waiting for a new IS since 2018, only to get disappointed when rumors said its a refresh and it was. the IS500 is a beast though.
I like the IS, but it’s too small for me. I’m keeping my finger crossed for the FR crown sedan to be available for North America

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The new, luxury market has spoken, and its EV or nothing, supply chain be damned.
No? BMW has a next-gen 3er in the works, separate from the electric i3 coming in 2025, Mercedes just launched the W205 and Audi has the B10 generation A5 coming soon on a brand new "PPC" platform, reinvesting with a whole new lineup of updated powertrains. Each big three are also launching their next-gen ICE 5er, E Class, and in two years new A6.

Still think Lexus can 100% make a case for a new gen IS, I mean the current *uncompetitive and outdated* IS is selling okay and has been on sale since 2014, a truly new gen could sell much better I would think

Reactions
My guess is eTNGA 2.0 for 2025 and future Lexus BEVs. eTNGA needs to transition to cell-to-body by 2025, which requires a redesign to the mid-section.

GA-K like GA-C will be modified to E3 platform that allows PHV/BEV variants to be designed easily, although how that could be done is still beyond me.

There will be no platforms for future sports cars. Every one will have custom chassis optimized for a single purpose with motorsports as priority.

My sources say the platform that the A100 and the LFR will ride on will be called the TNGA-A.

nt01

Fan
Reactions
No? BMW has a next-gen 3er in the works, separate from the electric i3 coming in 2025, Mercedes just launched the W205 and Audi has the B10 generation A5 coming soon on a brand new "PPC" platform, reinvesting with a whole new lineup of updated powertrains. Each big three are also launching their next-gen ICE 5er, E Class, and in two years new A6.

Still think Lexus can 100% make a case for a new gen IS, I mean the current *uncompetitive and outdated* IS is selling okay and has been on sale since 2014, a truly new gen could sell much better I would think
Good to know Audi is finally moving away from MLB and MLB evo platform, is the new PPC platform still going to have the engine place entirely in front of front axle?

Reactions

You're referring to PerformanceSound, and there are others as well who echo his words as well. Insider information, to be specific.