Lexus Compact Sedan EV Revealed

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I dunno maybe it will grow on me….
I think it will. A lot of people are used to looking at the front grille for defining features and a lot of EVs have a blank canvas. This concept does not look empty at all and presents itself like a mature evolution of the spindle grille. I think it strikes a good balance without looking too polarizing or too understated. We all remember how people gagged at the spindle grille when it was first introduced, although the last few iterations have looked great. I don’t envy the designer that was tasked to create a design that looked “Lexus,” techy, yet sophisticated and retain the vestiges of a spindle grille. lol. Whoever this person was did a phenomenal job.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
i think we need someone who understands Japanese to summarize the article 🤣
They originally planned (in 2017) a full IS lineup (including a wagon/shootingbrake) for the FMC. But the GA-L platform components were overspecced for larger vehicles and are too heavy for midsize, plus sedans were going out of favor, so they weren't sure how to proceed with the project. Then in 2020 the GS project was discontinued and the IS project became a major facelift.

The resources and manpower for all their FR products were redirected to the new EV platform and the HZ will be the first product. It will be produced in 3 modules using gigacasting. The lineup will include 2WD HZ300e, 4WD 450e and 550e FSP.

Current IS will receive another facelift to match the new Lexus design language and change the Lexus badge to letters in the rear trunk lid. 8AR and 2GR models will be discontinued and only the 300h and 500FSP will remain.

This article suggests two things: the original BEV IS concept based on eTNGA was cancelled and there will be no new FR ICEVs from Lexus other than facelifts.

Reactions
The resources and manpower for all their FR products were redirected to the new EV platform and the HZ will be the first product. It will be produced in 3 modules using gigacasting. The lineup will include 2WD HZ300e, 4WD 450e and 550e FSP.
Is it RWD?

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
They originally planned (in 2017) a full IS lineup (including a wagon/shootingbrake) for the FMC. But the GA-L platform components were overspecced for larger vehicles and are too heavy for midsize, plus sedans were going out of favor, so they weren't sure how to proceed with the project. Then in 2020 the GS project was discontinued and the IS project became a major facelift.

Current IS will receive another facelift to match the new Lexus design language and change the Lexus badge to letters in the rear trunk lid. 8AR and 2GR models will be discontinued and only the 300h and 500FSP will remain.

This article suggests two things: the original BEV IS concept based on eTNGA was cancelled and there will be no new FR ICEVs from Lexus other than facelifts.
Thanks for the translation. In this case the the IS successor is HZ🙂

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
...there will be no new FR ICEVs from Lexus other than facelifts.
I take it from this that the next, 8th-generation ES will -- like the 9th-generation 2025 Camry -- be a heavily facelifted model rather than a completely new generation. That is fine with me, as long as there is a good update of the powertrain (I am hoping for a ES h+ PHEV model).

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I take it from this that the next, 8th-generation ES will -- like the 9th-generation 2025 Camry -- be a heavily facelifted model rather than a completely new generation. That is fine with me, as long as there is a good update of the powertrain (I am hoping for a ES h+ PHEV model).
Correct, although the teaser image from 2021 confirmed that already. A Pillar, shutlines, and front door remain the same, while the greenhouse is extended for a 3rd window in the C Pillar.