supra93

Expert
Reactions
I don't see how RZ or LF-Z could be a coupe version of RX if they are based on different platforms, RX on modular ICEV platform, and RZ/LF-Z on ground up BEV platform.

Some styling might be similar, but in general Lexus doesn't go the German route with same sausage different length/size.

Opps, clearly I don't keep up with Toyota's platform news. 😂

Reactions
Urgh, Supercar Blondie...

The authority for brainless spec-sheet queen car enthusiasts. This lowers the tone for me significantly!

I really like her.

Her content is good for certain people who just want to see cool cars and are just interested in knowing the basic specs. She's also a genuine car enthusiast and really down to Earth.

Shame that there's still people unnecessarily hating on her. She's cool.

About the car though... holy sh*t! It looks absolutely stunning. Like, I'm blown away how GORGEOUS IT IS my eyes lit up in joy knowing that this is going to be the future of Lexus' badass EV lineup. The specs are perfectly fine for what it is, and pushing that much range out of a 90kWh battery is insane! The interior is gorgeous, and did I forget to mention the exterior? It looks like a Ferrari Roma! Heck, it looks way better than a Roma and I love that car!

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
"Just how far Lexus has to go in EVs" like let customers do live human testing, let insurance companies pay the R&D budget, let dealers finish product assembly and repair quality problems, then make profit by buying Bitcoin and inflate its value via the CEO's tweets? Maybe Lexus really should do all that to not 'make impatient customers frustrated', or do they?

Tesla is a fine company and will still hold a considerable advantage over everyone in the foreseeable future. Tesla fans just need to chill out.

The RZ won't hit dealership until 2022 because the dedicated EV factory will only complete this year. Then it takes time to set up the line and ramp up production. Maybe Lexus should just follow the modern practice of paper launching way before a product goes on sale?

if this is RZ and if it hits dealerships in 2022, that will be quite a feat for Lexus.
Especially if it keeps its specs with 90kwh battery, 600km wltp range and 3.0s 0-100kmh.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Haven't watched yet, are we really 3 years out from a production model of this thing?

Is there anything being released this year?
I can’t say anything yet but there is more good news coming and I hope to be able to share sooner than later...

But this LF-Z and the entire release shows true direction for the immediate future. Gecko’s post was solid summarizing things.

Adrian

Fan
Reactions
My .02 is that LF-Z Electrified is absolutely a preview of the production RZ, just as many other "LF" concepts have previewed other production models. "RZ 450e" is already trademarked so we know that is coming and is a logical follow after this LF-Z concept.

R = midsize
Z = New in-between sedan/CUV bodystyle with the LF-Z
RZ = midsize vehicle between ES and RX... voila, and as @supra93 and @Will1991 have pointed out, the LF-Z has a midsize footprint

So for Lexus nomenclature:
_C = coupe
_S = sedan
_Z = "raised wagon"
_T = Touring
_X = CUV/SUV

In shape, the CT and LF-Z or "RZ" could end up being sort of similar, but maybe CT was a "one and done" effort and Lexus has plans to build out a family of "_Z" vehicles between sedans and CUVs. I don't see any "RT" trademarks.
I’m not entirely sure if _Z = “raised wagon”, I cant remember if it was lexus or blondie that said the Z stood for Zero emissions but if it was blondie then raised wagon is more in line lol but if Soto said it then we could see the _Z line of models to be zero emissions?

Reactions
I’m not entirely sure if _Z = “raised wagon”, I cant remember if it was lexus or blondie that said the Z stood for Zero emissions but if it was blondie then raised wagon is more in line lol but if Soto said it then we could see the _Z line of models to be zero emissions?

Correct! She even said that Z stands for Zero emissions. She's more aware than the most of us LOL. But yes, even Lexus alluded to this before, I strongly believe that any Z branded car will be electric.

RAL

Reactions
I really like her.

Her content is good for certain people who just want to see cool cars and are just interested in knowing the basic specs. She's also a genuine car enthusiast and really down to Earth.

Shame that there's still people unnecessarily hating on her. She's cool.

About the car though... holy sh*t! It looks absolutely stunning. Like, I'm blown away how GORGEOUS IT IS my eyes lit up in joy knowing that this is going to be the future of Lexus' badass EV lineup. The specs are perfectly fine for what it is, and pushing that much range out of a 90kWh battery is insane! The interior is gorgeous, and did I forget to mention the exterior? It looks like a Ferrari Roma! Heck, it looks way better than a Roma and I love that car!
Hey, Lexus gave her the gig! ...

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I can’t say anything yet but there is more good news coming and I hope to be able to share sooner than later...

But this LF-Z and the entire release shows true direction for the immediate future. Gecko’s post was solid summarizing things.

Perhaps you could tell us if there will be a production version of this concept in the NEAR future 😉

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We already know that “__ ___e” models are electric with zero emissions though, and there’s no way Lexus is going to rename models like LS or RX just to include a Z. The “electric” portion will be reflected in the associated power or output number just like it already is in the electric UX 300e.

What is far more likely is that all “Z” models will be electric - “RZ 450e” or say, “NZ 350e” or “LZ 600e.” But we will not start to have LSZ 600, ESZ 400 or RXZ 500e. No way.

Lexus has historically indicated power options with a letter at the end of the latter three digits in the name (ES 300h = hybrid, UX 300e = electric, LX 450d = diesel), not the two letters of the model line like “_S” or “_X” or “_C.” Therefore, it is most likely that for something like the RZ 450e, the “Z” indicates a new body style and the “e” is the indication it is electric.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
We already know that “__ ___e” models are electric with zero emissions though, and there’s no way Lexus is going to rename models like LS or RX just to include a Z. The “electric” portion will be reflected in the associated power or output number just like it already is in the electric UX 300e.

What is far more likely is that all “Z” models will be electric - “RZ 450e” or say, “NZ 350e” or “LZ 600e.” But we will not start to have LSZ 600, ESZ 400 or RXZ 500e. No way.

Lexus has historically indicated power options with a letter at the end of the latter three digits in the name (ES 300h = hybrid, UX 300e = electric, LX 450d = diesel), not the two letters of the model line like “_S” or “_X” or “_C.” Therefore, it is most likely that for something like the RZ 450e, the “Z” indicates a new body style and the “e” is the indication it is electric.
If Lexus will start having more [X]Z [XXX]e models in addition to RZ 450e, knowing that these are built on bespoke BEV platform, I doubt there is much sense in making the standard ICEV models in [XXX]e variant. BEVs made on modular ICEV platforms, while they could make sense 1 generation ago, now there is not much point in that. BEV one platform, and ICEV/HEV/PHEV/FCEV another flexible platform. I think the UX 300e is an exception until the BEV is more established. It can crash any moment while in its fast (?) growth stage.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Lexus will start having more [X]Z [XXX]e models in addition to RZ 450e, knowing that these are built on bespoke BEV platform, I doubt there is much sense in making the standard ICEV models in [XXX]e variant. BEVs made on modular ICEV platforms, while they could make sense 1 generation ago, now there is not much point in that. BEV one platform, and ICEV/HEV/PHEV/FCEV another flexible platform. I think the UX 300e is an exception until the BEV is more established. It can crash any moment while in its fast (?) growth stage.

Are you saying that for something like RZ 450e, they should drop the "e" and just call it RZ 450 and assume people know it's electric? Or if they come out with more "Z" models like NZ or LZ, they should do that for those -- drop the "e"?

DFGeneer

Fan
Reactions
Stunning design.
Love the backwards extended dome top and the upwards elongated back. Very LF-FC-ish.
Also, excellent job in "masking" the extended rear axle - it looks pretty natural compared to some BEV designs e.g. Mach-E whose rear axle looks weird.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Are you saying that for something like RZ 450e, they should drop the "e" and just call it RZ 450 and assume people know it's electric? Or if they come out with more "Z" models like NZ or LZ, they should do that for those -- drop the "e"?
Dropping 'e' might be confusing. It depends how many BEVs on exclusive platform Lexus plans to make.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I like how Lexus made a grill-less spindle. Obviously they don’t need air intakes but still want to keep their corporate identity. Pretty clever.

I’m still not a suv coupe guy so I have to be honest with myself and with you. That said the design isn’t ugly, is certainly interesting and looking at responses on the web, seems to be a solid hit.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I like how Lexus made a grill-less spindle. Obviously they don’t need air intakes but still want to keep their corporate identity. Pretty clever.

I’m still not a suv coupe guy so I have to be honest with myself and with you. That said the design isn’t ugly, is certainly interesting and looking at responses on the web, seems to be a solid hit.

Haters: God, the Lexus grill is so big, I hate it.

Also haters: God, this Lexus has no grill, I hate it.

🤣

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

it should be as simple as xZ models being dedicated EV platform and yes, they should still have e at the end for powertrain designation.