CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This really should have had something more tangible than more promises about what is eventually coming. Lexus should know better.

Why is Kia of all companies delivering while Lexus, for all its superiority and capabilities is just still talking about X years out? Even the RZ that isn't a sure thing maybe a year or two out at least.

If anyone from Lexus does actually watch these forums, I would say seeing a bunch of frustrated customers abandon the brand after years of patiently waiting, it might not be a bad thing.

I am personally also in the spot I am now shopping Porsche and others, because how could I justify sitting on sidelines again for another year plus just to see if something worthwhile comes to market?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Someone isn't easily pleased...Tesla owner seems to be writing

giphy.gif

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Will this be it's own model, or a preview of a electric RX? The two are about the same size, no?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The only reproach that can be made for Toyota are their old BOF vehicles, and Lexus their overall old range and noncompetitive performance versions. As for BEVs? All hype till now. Even when this RZe will be out, BEVs will not be the one and only answer. Delusional BEV fanatics that what to impose their fantasy worldviews on others.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Will this be it's own model, or a preview of a electric RX? The two are about the same size, no?
For me concept of RX 450e. Like almost every other Lexus concept that was still not that close to production even if very accurate.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Funny how "electrek" still has no article about this concept, when they publish every "gofundme" scam electromobility project without criticism. They need alot of time to write an article, they don't know what to write. They will wait until every other site has posted and article and will read many negative comments to get "inspiration" before posting theirs. Such a bunch of biased Tesla and China fans. Paradoxical.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Everything I have read, with the exception of this discussion thread, has been short of spec details, because the LF-Z is an engineering and styling exercise rather than a preview of a specific vehicle.

Honda and Acura's concepts tend to look like the first prototype off the line and can expect to see the real model within a month or 2 or 3.

Toyota and Lexus' concepts, however, are true, traditional concepts -- engineering and styling exercises that may or may not preview something to come in 3 or 4 years (it does take 5 years, give or take, to bring a new vehicle to production).

So this LF-Z may or may not become the expected new RZ, but don't bet on it. And if it does preview the RZ, don't expect it until 2025.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Everything I have read, with the exception of this discussion thread, has been short of spec details, because the LF-Z is an engineering and styling exercise rather than a preview of a specific vehicle.

Honda and Acura's concepts tend to look like the first prototype off the line and can expect to see the real model within a month or 2 or 3.

Toyota and Lexus' concepts, however, are true, traditional concepts -- engineering and styling exercises that may or may not preview something to come in 3 or 4 years (it does take 5 years, give or take, to bring a new vehicle to production).

So this LF-Z may or may not become the expected new RZ, but don't bet on it. And if it does preview the RZ, don't expect it until 2025.

Most LF concepts did preview a production model. I'm just thinking it would be a funny to have both a similarly sized electric RX and a "RZ" in the line up.

Dimensions

LF-Z
Length: 192 inches
Width: 77.1 inches
Height: 63 inches
Wheelbase: 82.7-inches

AL20 RX:
Length: 192.5 inches
Width: 74.6 inches
Height: 67.7 inches
Wheelbase: 109.8 inches

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My .02 is that LF-Z Electrified is absolutely a preview of the production RZ, just as many other "LF" concepts have previewed other production models. "RZ 450e" is already trademarked so we know that is coming and is a logical follow after this LF-Z concept.

R = midsize
Z = New in-between sedan/CUV bodystyle with the LF-Z
RZ = midsize vehicle between ES and RX... voila, and as @supra93 and @Will1991 have pointed out, the LF-Z has a midsize footprint

So for Lexus nomenclature:
_C = coupe
_S = sedan
_Z = "raised wagon"
_T = Touring
_X = CUV/SUV

In shape, the CT and LF-Z or "RZ" could end up being sort of similar, but maybe CT was a "one and done" effort and Lexus has plans to build out a family of "_Z" vehicles between sedans and CUVs. I don't see any "RT" trademarks.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don't see how RZ or LF-Z could be a coupe version of RX if they are based on different platforms, RX on modular ICEV platform, and RZ/LF-Z on ground up BEV platform.

Some styling might be similar, but in general Lexus doesn't go the German route with same sausage different length/size.

_T = Touring

How about IT 500 F Sport?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Besides maybe 1-2 MPG better (which probably doesn't matter with BEVs) and maybe the side profile, what other advantages do the CUV/SUV coupe have?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Feels like it could be RZ450e, but... 450e should be like a base version, in Lexus terms that is 5s 0-60 car at best.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I have 2 comments
Firstly as @James & @Levi
I still have nearly zero interest in the BEV
Secondly, if Lexus already registered the RZ with RZ450e is the means there are RZxxxh and RZxxx+ an RZxxx?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have 2 comments
Firstly as @James & @Levi
I still have nearly zero interest in the BEV
Secondly, if Lexus already registered the RZ with RZ450e is the means there are RZxxxh and RZxxx+ an RZxxx?

You can have BEVs with different motor configs, so you could have RZ450e, RZ600e. etc.

But this does not have to be RZ. And this is based on BEV platform, so it will not have ice based powertrain for sure.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
"Just how far Lexus has to go in EVs" like let customers do live human testing, let insurance companies pay the R&D budget, let dealers finish product assembly and repair quality problems, then make profit by buying Bitcoin and inflate its value via the CEO's tweets? Maybe Lexus really should do all that to not 'make impatient customers frustrated', or do they?

Tesla is a fine company and will still hold a considerable advantage over everyone in the foreseeable future. Tesla fans just need to chill out.

The RZ won't hit dealership until 2022 because the dedicated EV factory will only complete this year. Then it takes time to set up the line and ramp up production. Maybe Lexus should just follow the modern practice of paper launching way before a product goes on sale?