Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2021-03-23-lexus-teaser-lf-z.jpg

Lexus will announce details on a major brand transformation during a press conference on Tuesday March 30th.
Accompanying the announcement will be a new concept vehicle that illustrates the future direction of the Lexus brand. Looking at the teasers provided, it is obvious that this is the same concept that was shown during the Direct4 all-wheel-drive announcement, and again in February when mentioning a new “brand identity concept.”

2021-03-23-lexus-lf-z-gallery-2-400x200.jpg

2021-03-23-lexus-lf-z-gallery-3-400x200.jpg

Continue reading...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Just when Lexus got the grill on the 2021 IS correct. Maybe it's not a look transformation though. :)

80% of a Porsche's handling dynamics for 3/5th the price (of a decently equipped Porsche) and without the maintenance nightmare are good enough strategies.

Please include rear axle torque vectoring in more Lexus models.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
From the side, I can't even tell it's a CUV/SUV. Maybe Lexus will make sportier CUVs.
Shortest front overhang since the 90s! 🤣
And those silly dash to front axle ratio (RWD-like proportions on a FWD vehicle) they talk about when they introduced the TLX is nuts.

I don't understand the obsession with that when that will make the front of the car look too elongated.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
From the side, I can't even tell it's a CUV/SUV. Maybe Lexus will make sportier CUVs.

And those silly dash to front axle ratio (RWD-like proportions on a FWD vehicle) they talk about when they introduced the TLX is nuts.

I don't understand the obsession with that when that will make the front of the car look too elongated.

It is pretty simple, IMO. Long hood, shorter rear trunklid and short overhangs are a classic combination that generally always looks good. TLX does this very well for a FWD car, compared to the ES which has more classic FWD proportions with a longer front overhang, shorter hood and longer rear trunklid. TLX looks more like a performance car for this reason, though I doubt even 95% of buyers look at this or care.

Jellybean-2021TLX-Advance.ashx

usc90lec161d021003.png

I know that this forum loves to dump on Acura, but the proportions of the TLX are vastly better than the ES, and even the LS, which also has an awkwardly long front overhang for a RWD car.
cc_2018LEC360015_03_640_085.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this is something Lexus plans to remedy going forward. 2021 IS was a step in the right direction, and this concept looks great.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^please, let's not turn this into another Supra thread.

Back to the Lexus concept and new brand identity!

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I'm not turning it into a Supra thread but Lexus sedans that will be performance-oriented enough should be looking at the Supra.

If not the Supra, what internal or external benchmark should Lexus be setting?

P.S. will not mention Supra again in a subsequent post on this thread.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not turning it into a Supra thread but Lexus sedans that will be performance-oriented enough should be looking at the Supra.

If not the Supra, what internal or external benchmark should Lexus be setting?

P.S. will not mention Supra again in a subsequent post on this thread.

Not your fault, but anytime the Supra is mentioned, it tends to turn into a downward spiral of Toyota vs. BMW vs. any Lexus product, and it ends up being extremely counter productive 😁

This concept looks to certainly be 4 doors, and probably an EV, so I think it will be quite different from a Supra.

Will1991

Reactions
A proper competition for this should be the Polestar 2:

64_polestar-2.jpg

It’s a crossover coupe, a dedicated BEV, premium class.

Just hope this new BEV comes to Europe with CCS@100kw, 60~65kWh, around 6sec from 0-100km/h, option AWD and a reliable and efficient powertrain.
I think these are reasonable specs to ask for.

Polestar 2 has a lower real world range than the TM3 SR+... It’s mind boggling stupid since it’s 55kWh for the 2021 MIC TM3 SR+ vs 75kWh for the Polestar 2...

Reactions
Sort of looks like a NX/RX Coupe. Mercedes make the GLC and GLC Coupe, GLE and GLE Coup, with the Coupe being a bit more sporty. BMW has the X3 and X4, X5 and X6. We now have the NX and NZ, RX and the RZ! I like the name better than calling it a RX coupe. Lexus always seem to be a little late to the table but we always build a better car. Better late than never! Still a concept, so many many many years of debate to come. We only have a few pictures and already the debates has started. It might be an all electric car as far as we know. Maybe nuclear fusion powered! LOL!! So many years, so many opinions to come. Isn't the guessing game fun and entertaining!

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This concept seems to be epic, a truly well designed and gorgeous car! And the first (supposed to be) BEV on a dedicated platform!

5236443.jpg

Here goes a "worked" picture:

image.png

This looks really good.

Reality is, that in EV world, this has to compete vs Tesla in powertrain department and NOT against Audi.

Will1991

Reactions
@spwolf , lately my opinion has changed (mostly due to some discussions on the UX300e thread).

Those who look for a Tesla, they won’t buy anything else... Tesla is so far away on a spreadsheet at a lower price... It’s a whole different costumer... Tesla is also a much more polarizing brand (love it or hate it).

Nowadays my opinion is that BEV market is divided into two, those who want a Tesla and those who don’t, who look for something else (better build quality, less issues, overall less stressful ownership)...

Don’t get me wrong, Tesla will help all the costumers looking for a BEV since they’re pushing prices down, but I see it as a different market.

Given all of the above, I believe this Lexus will go more against Polestar 2 and the new i4 than the TM3.

Last edited:

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
What this model will do is retain potential "Tesla conquests", aka current Lexus owners that were otherwise going to go to another BEV manufacturer, most likely Tesla. This will also tempt non-Lexus owners that were interested in Lexus' famed reliability and wanted to go electric. It's a win-win for Lexus as long as the developed product is very competitive and marketed well.

I'm truly hoping that Lexus steps up their interior game as they have been sorely lacking here in the past several years. Because of their outdated infotainment system and mousepad, their interiors are considered a joke to many car enthusiasts along the vein of Infiniti. This RZ needs to be a big step up, even from the disappointing leaked new NX interior.