Rydo

Follower
Reactions
20 new models Lexus expects to introduce by 2025, and the 10 electrified powertrains — both battery-powered and hybridized — that will drive them. Most importantly, Lexus promises every model in its lineup will have some kind of “Electrified” option in fewer than five years. Whether they all have steered-by-wire Direct4 drive is less obvious.
Extremely ambitious and amazing news from Lexus. Honestly, if they just assault us with new models and updates for the next 4 years that will be some turnaround for this currently-stagnant brand.

Just reading they expect this LF-Z to be in production by 2025, which matches the 3-year concept to reality type cycle that I quoted above. If they keep styling close the concept it'll be a hit!

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Extremely ambitious and amazing news from Lexus. Honestly, if they just assault us with new models and updates for the next 4 years that will be some turnaround for this currently-stagnant brand.

Just reading they expect this LF-Z to be in production by 2025, which matches the 3-year concept to reality type cycle that I quoted above. If they keep styling close the concept it'll be a hit!
The goalpost is set so low for Lexus (besides its IS, GS, LS, RC and LC models) that anything new is really good news.

Also, Toyota proved FCEV has a future. All those silly Tesla fanbois who were poo-pooing hydrogen in EV forums/sites have been buying hydrogen plays lately while waiting for TSLA to get back to its new share price high.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Really well done. I’m not a suv coupe person but that looks nice.
What I’m really happy about are the other announcements regarding Lexus getting new and separate departments and buildings at the test track . We have been product starved and seems not just a clear vision is here but investment.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Just watched the clip - honestly it's as if Koji Sato has been on this forum every day for the past x years when he says moving to their new centralised location will allow for more rapid product development!

This also matches that video clip I posted a few months ago where Lexus basically conceded that they haven't been good enough in the past 2-3 years.

Anyone else just want to hug that guy haha!?

Faith in Lexus restored, now just build LF-Z to be 90% the same as the concept and people will sit up and take Lexus seriously again.

Imagine next generation-LS with LF-FC concept looks and this new electric technology?

Lexus looks as though they've realised how pathetically behind Mercedes et al with regards to tech gimmicks too! On those cars I don't care for them because they more than likely break but I have faith in Lexus to deliver.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Lexus, the Direct4 tech is amazing, but why are we going back to the same design language as the UX concept when you have just released a gorgeous IS in production form? Why don’t you create a concept model using THAT design language, but obviously elevated to a concept level? Why are we seeing taillights that we have seen in better form on the Infiniti QX Inspiration concept? The lack of details and finishing touches on the interior really make the LF-Z seem like a design exercise that is a year from complete concept. The LF-1 concept was much more of a complete package and we haven’t seen the production model of that, and maybe not for another 1-2 years!

They honestly seem so out of touch with this product and reveal. The live stream featured an awkward and somewhat amateurish animation of Toyoda’s challenge to Lexus. I don’t get the same heightened level of luxury and prestige surrounding this reveal, branding, and concept as in previous Lexus generations.

edit: I will say the rear is nice and the side profile is gorgeous. Kind of like a futuristic RX.

Will1991

Reactions
Some personal remarks from Koji Sato presentation:

He says this conversation started with Akio 2 years ago. With a couple more for final R&D, can we see it in production version for MY2023 or even 2022?

At 2:10, he says alternative propulsions like HV's PHEV's and BEV's... Did Lexus let go FCV's?

Steering by wire, a first for Lexus?

Specifications:
image.png

It's a bit smaller than the LF-30 and gets better range and performance with a smaller battery:

image.png

Dimension wise, it's close to the GS:
image.png

And 4 new cars... 2 SUV's, 2 Sedan's/Coupe?
image.png

It seems another company with Koji Sato!

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Meanwhile Honda and Acura EV’s will be made by GM lol

Its also crazy to think Infiniti was going to go with an EV strategy early to mid last decade but then went away from it. A shame they could have been very much an EV leader.

We know Lexus capabilities when their mind is right and the money is there. Great driving and looking EV’s with Lexus luxury and features will be a hit.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Meanwhile Honda and Acura EV’s will be made by GM lol

Its also crazy to think Infiniti was going to go with an EV strategy early to mid last decade but then went away from it. A shame they could have been very much an EV leader.

We know Lexus capabilities when their mind is right and the money is there. Great driving and looking EV’s with Lexus luxury and features will be a hit.

I have 2 points

1) GM tech is honestly not that bad or behind and I feel GM with Honda can have a better EV tech serve both corps.

2) Lexus never lacks money, or even future vision, honestly what harming Lexus is that there are a lot of creative people with everyone has his own vision, and all of this in the mid of a cute battle between the old business guys and the new car enthusiastic guys came with Akio

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What strikes me most about this release is the completeness. This is the first fully baked, fully thought out, product-first announcement that we've gotten from Lexus in a while, and it makes me very excited to see where they're going over the next few years. A lot of what we've had over the last ten years have been "keep the lights" on product with a few fun projects, but this release sets a totally different and more confident tone.
  • LF-Z: It looks great. Many other manufacturers have tried to get this shape right but failed, and Lexus has done it perfectly. Exterior and interior are beautiful... both are simple and more minimal than current Lexus designs, but with the type of detail and surfacing that makes them interesting and unique. It's easy to see how this is 85% the production RZ with a new interior. There are now no doubts that Lexus is all-in on electric, as there have been concerns around this for the last five years or so.
  • 20 new vehicles by 2025, including BEV, PHEV, HEV and other electric vehicles
  • In addition to strengthening and expanding its core sedan models and SUV lineup, Lexus will pursue the possibility of rolling out models such as sports models that continue to provide the fun of driving, a car that redefines the concept of having a chauffeur, and new genres that have never before existed
  • Electric versions of every model by 2025
  • New Lexus-focused business and technical center at Shimoyama
  • Lexus aims to be carbon neutral by 2050 – from the manufacturing of materials, parts and vehicles, to vehicle logistics, to the final disposal and recycling of older vehicles
  • Two new models released this year (presumably NX and LX)
  • New interior design language - "Tazuna" - as we saw referenced in the NX leak video

... This is definitely the next chapter of Lexus!

RAL

Reactions
What strikes me most about this release is the completeness. This is the first fully baked, fully thought out, product-first announcement that we've gotten from Lexus in a while, and it makes me very excited to see where they're going over the next few years. A lot of what we've had over the last ten years have been "keep the lights" on product with a few fun projects, but this release sets a totally different and more confident tone.
  • LF-Z: It looks great. Many other manufacturers have tried to get this shape right but failed, and Lexus has done it perfectly. Exterior and interior are beautiful... both are simple and more minimal than current Lexus designs, but with the type of detail and surfacing that makes them interesting and unique. It's easy to see how this is 85% the production RZ with a new interior. There are now no doubts that Lexus is all-in on electric, as there have been concerns around this for the last five years or so.
  • 20 new vehicles by 2025, including BEV, PHEV, HEV and other electric vehicles
  • In addition to strengthening and expanding its core sedan models and SUV lineup, Lexus will pursue the possibility of rolling out models such as sports models that continue to provide the fun of driving, a car that redefines the concept of having a chauffeur, and new genres that have never before existed
  • Electric versions of every model by 2025
  • New Lexus-focused business and technical center at Shimoyama
  • Lexus aims to be carbon neutral by 2050 – from the manufacturing of materials, parts and vehicles, to vehicle logistics, to the final disposal and recycling of older vehicles
  • Two new models released this year (presumably NX and LX)
  • New interior design language - "Tazuna" - as we saw referenced in the NX leak video

... This is definitely the next chapter of Lexus!
A lot to process since the reveal. Thanks for collecting and hitting each nail on the head! ... we have many new reasons to be excited about Lexus again!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Haven't watched yet, are we really 3 years out from a production model of this thing?

Is there anything being released this year?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This concept turns out to be so much better than I expected. Range above 500 km is ok. No big difference unless 50 to 100% more range which no other do either. Weight is impossibly low for a BEV and would be within limits of any ICEV this size and performance/luxury. Makes it competitive. Don't care about all the "AI" stuff, but apparently others do, so Lexus has to make that BS too. At least this car looks like driveable instead driverless, which is the most important thing.

While this car is not out, I see no better alternative coming in the next years. BMW iX? haha, that is an abomination in any case. Yes, I judge some people by their taste. Can't respect an iX buyer. e-Tron already looks like 7 years old.

Now my wish is production is close to it. Past concept to production proposals are good indication Lexus might be successful. Leaked NX is a very pleasant indication of continuity of well designed cars too.

Haven't watched yet, are we really 3 years out from a production model of this thing?

Is there anything being released this year?
NX at least.

Last edited: