Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Whether or it's actually FWD or RWD is becoming less important in the age of AWD and batteries when we are talking about the design principles of long hood and shorter overhangs... there have been many FWD cars with nice proportions and plenty of RWD ones with awful overhangs and short hoods. It is all a matter of design choice, and then also packaging, which is definitely where Acura has fallen short. Many FWD cars have been designed with "RWDish proportions" and the Audi A6 is a great example. Audi S6 and RS6 look great, and have great interior room. The new TLX has less interior room than the old one because the platform is poorly packaged.

With no GS, it seems logical that the next ES will be elevated, so while it may have a FWD-biased chassis, I am betting there will be upper level models with Direct4, potentially F Sport Performance or even F. It's all possible with batteries, especially when Lexus could do something like turbo 4 + hybrid + direct 4 for V8-like performance, and eliminate much of the front mass needed to accommodate a V8. All the sudden a performance-oriented ES with a tidy front overhang, longer hood and more swept back roofline is very possible -- and likely.
Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would not under any circumstance want a 4 cylinder v8 equivalent. That just sounds gross... personally.

RAL

Reactions
I'm waiting to see the whole car to make up my mind
About 5/6 hours ago this image popped up on youtube

pasted between the two teasers we've already seen. I was skeptical at first, but thanks for posting it here. The more I look at it and compare the images in the teasers, seems like it could be the real deal. We will soon see ...

Reactions
About 5/6 hours ago this image popped up on youtube pasted between the two teasers we've already seen. I was skeptical at first, but thanks for posting it here. The more I look at it and compare the images in the teasers, seems like it could be the real deal.
I was wondering the same

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Now that I know what it looks like (typical Lexus future vehicle concept/look), in 10 minutes, I would just like to find out more about the technical specs haha.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-03-29-lexus-lf-z-concept-hero.jpg

Lexus is redefining their brand and pushing forward with an accelerated electrification plan, marking the occasion with the LF-Z concept. Through this new vehicle, we can glimpse into the brand’s future and forecast their next moves.
There are two specific paths to follow with the LF-Z: the DIRECT4 four-wheel EV technology, and the crossover coupe shape. Both signal something new to Lexus, and together they make for a bold course adjustment. There were hints of this direction with the 2019 LF-30 concept, but the LF-Z has a production-ready look that likely foretells an upcoming new model.
For now, here is the full text from today’s press release, alongside all the images of the latest Lexus concept.

The LF-Z Electrified is a BEV concept vehicle that is symbolic of Lexus’s brand transformation and incorporates driving performance, styling, and advanced technology set to be realized by 2025...

Continue reading...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Two more product reveals in 2021.

Expect 0-100 in 3 seconds

Direct4 - no mention of electric torque vectoring but still one of the most dynamic for any Toyota/Lexus HEV/PHEV/BEV produced so still a bravo from me and a good start.

At around 8:40 into the clip, Blondie? fumbled when she mentioned spindle grill being associated with Lexus lol (who not used to a Lexus wouldn't LOL) and how it's going to be differently shaped on this concept car because it's electric.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Two more product reveals in 2021.

Expect 0-100 in 3 seconds

Direct4 - no mention of electric torque vectoring but still one of the most dynamic for any Toyota/Lexus produced so still a bravo from me and a good start.

Towards the end, Blondie? almost chocked when she mentioned spindle grill being associated with Lexus lol and how it's going to be differently shaped on this concept car because it's electric.
I think one of them is the already known MK-2 NX

So what's the other one

Also behind him was 4 cars not 2!

Reactions
I hope all those specs they mentioned will actually be in a production car... The tech also sounds very ambitious that I hardly believe it'll be realized, but I hope to be proven wrong. All in all very excited if this is their vision.

Reactions: RAL

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Honestly I don't want to sound negative because it's great that Lexus are at least announcing something, but the fact that you guys are getting excited over this thing when Lexus still haven't shown LF-1 3 years later is astounding.

Nothing about this vehicle looks ready for production, so when are we going to see it? 2026?

Aside from that, the styling is better than I was thinking with the Honda Crosstour comparison.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I'm just excited for Lexus and know that by 2026, I may be able to get a Lexus BEV that ticks the few requirements on my checklist.

As for more pedestrian information regarding the concept’s abilities, few details are available, Lexus only willing to say it’s able to boast a range of 600 kilometres using a 90-kilowatt-hour battery. Now, even when one considers that Lexus is quoting the rather forgiving European WLTP system for its range rating, that speaks to impressive efficiency. The company will not give any details of cell chemistry other than to say its BEVs introduced by 2025 will not be powered by solid-state batteries. The company is, however, looking into reducing electric component loss, paying particular attention to the interior heating systems that drain so much energy in extreme climates.

In the end, the LF-Z is but a harbinger of the 20 new models Lexus expects to introduce by 2025, and the 10 electrified powertrains — both battery-powered and hybridized — that will drive them. Most importantly, Lexus promises every model in its lineup will have some kind of “Electrified” option in fewer than five years. Whether they all have steered-by-wire Direct4 drive is less obvious.