CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It is pretty simple, IMO. Long hood, shorter rear trunklid and short overhangs are a classic combination that generally always looks good. TLX does this very well for a FWD car, compared to the ES which has more classic FWD proportions with a longer front overhang, shorter hood and longer rear trunklid. TLX looks more like a performance car for this reason, though I doubt even 95% of buyers look at this or care.

Jellybean-2021TLX-Advance.ashx

usc90lec161d021003.png

I know that this forum loves to dump on Acura, but the proportions of the TLX are vastly better than the ES, and even the LS, which also has an awkwardly long front overhang for a RWD car.
cc_2018LEC360015_03_640_085.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this is something Lexus plans to remedy going forward. 2021 IS was a step in the right direction, and this concept looks great.

While the LS front overhang is certainly ungainly, I respectfully disagree with the TLX and ES. The TLX still has a large front overhang, that is masked by the silhouette and profile. The ES in real life looks quite good proportionally speaking and the front overhang does not look that ungainly or odd like the LS. Could the ES front overhang be better? Of course, just like the TLX and LS front overhangs could be a lot better. The LS is the biggest offender as it's RWD. It has no excuses.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30 , what's your take on this powertrain specifications?
75kWh 288-cell battery, two-motor AWD with ~225KW on standard trim and ~400km WLTP range. Whether they will launch a 100kWh 384-cell, 300KW higher trim with 500km+ WLTP range is unknown. The Toyota version (BZ?) has 150kW FWD and 160kW AWD options but the Lexus version should offer a lot more power.

CHAdeMO 3.0 supports up to 400kW but they will unlikely support the full speed and use the 60kW standard speed instead. I think being their first high volume EV product a CCS model will be produced for EU specifically. The C-HR EV/UX300e are mainly for the Chinese market which is why there is no CCS support.

Reactions
I don’t think a fwd needs RWD proportions. Audi has mastered being fwd based and looking superb. They ain’t faking RWD. There needs to be authenticity. Acura had a great success with the styling of the 3G TL. It wasn’t a fake RWD look, it just was a damn good looking car. Since that vehicle they have completely missed with the ugly TL, the bland TLX and weird MMC and now the over exaggerated 2G TLX.
Acura did the same mistake with the Vigor if anyone remembers that car. A huge long hood and RWD look with a tiny interior. They did the same thing.

Relating things to this thread, Lexus has 100% heard and acted on complaints on the front overhangs. The non f-sport nx in particular was mentioned and we all know that looks weird from the front. Thus I am excited to see this concept.

I completely and totally disagree with this on a fundamental level.

Audi has major design issues with regard to the how the engine is place with relation to the front axle. They have a decent dash-to-axle ratio, but since they have a longitudinal engine + FWD based combination, and that creates one huge fundamental issue if you execute it incorrectly. And you very well know which issue I'm talking about.

If Audi fixed their chassis design by pushing the front axle a couple of inches towards the front, this greatening the dash-to-axle ratio, they wouldn't have to deal with the majority of their engine to be on top and in front of the front axle. That creates a boat load of unnecessary unsprung mass and creates terminal understeer. This is an inherent design flaw that makes Audis technically and dynamically inferior to their competitors. Quattro, being the legendary f*cking AWD system that it is (it's almost godlike), helps it by ten orders of magnitudes however their dash-to-axle ratio remains the same, and they still have their engines right on top (and in front) of the front axle, giving it WAYYY too much weight to push around.

So I don't get this logic of them not "faking RWD" and the notion of an Audi being authentic but the Acura isn't. Because one, that's false, normal FWD cars have way smaller dash-to-axle ratios. And two, Audi's chassis STILL needs improvement.

I'll give you a horrifying example that'll make you sh*t your pants. The first generation Bentley Continental was a massive sales success for Bentley, and in GT3-R form, that almost 5000 pound Bentley MOVED. However, it used a very old Audi design. It was luxurious, but it wasn't the most capable thing out there until very later towards the mid-2010's where they gave it some much needed updates and the first generation Continental was in its last years. That old Audi design, basically had the Bentley's insanely huge V8's and W12's poke out further than the headlight bulb. Hope that paints a picture as to why it's crucially important it is to have good, solid, chassis design and that the notion of Acura not being authentic is very confusing. If that isn't horrid design, then I don't know what is.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I completely and totally disagree with this on a fundamental level.

Audi has major design issues with regard to the how the engine is place with relation to the front axle. They have a decent dash-to-axle ratio, but since they have a longitudinal engine + FWD based combination, and that creates one huge fundamental issue if you execute it incorrectly. And you very well know which issue I'm talking about.

If Audi fixed their chassis design by pushing the front axle a couple of inches towards the front, this greatening the dash-to-axle ratio, they wouldn't have to deal with the majority of their engine to be on top and in front of the front axle. That creates a boat load of unnecessary unsprung mass and creates terminal understeer. This is an inherent design flaw that makes Audis technically and dynamically inferior to their competitors. Quattro, being the legendary f*cking AWD system that it is (it's almost godlike), helps it by ten orders of magnitudes however their dash-to-axle ratio remains the same, and they still have their engines right on top (and in front) of the front axle, giving it WAYYY too much weight to push around.

So I don't get this logic of them not "faking RWD" and the notion of an Audi being authentic but the Acura isn't. Because one, that's false, normal FWD cars have way smaller dash-to-axle ratios. And two, Audi's chassis STILL needs improvement.

I'll give you a horrifying example that'll make you sh*t your pants. The first generation Bentley Continental was a massive sales success for Bentley, and in GT3-R form, that almost 5000 pound Bentley MOVED. However, it used a very old Audi design. It was luxurious, but it wasn't the most capable thing out there until very later towards the mid-2010's where they gave it some much needed updates and the first generation Continental was in its last years. That old Audi design, basically had the Bentley's insanely huge V8's and W12's poke out further than the headlight bulb. Hope that paints a picture as to why it's crucially important it is to have good, solid, chassis design and that the notion of Acura not being authentic is very confusing. If that isn't horrid design, then I don't know what is.
All I know is I’ve never looked at an Audi and said “wow that needs to look rwd”. If anything they are sometimes bland. Contrarily Acura can’t design anything good. They went overboard with the dash/axle ratio and while the car is better looking that last, it lost all the benefits of being a fwd car.

Audi is authentic in their design, it might be boring to some but it ain’t trying to be RWD. They have embraced their fwd-awd origins. Contrarily Acura is trying to look RWD when it’s fwd. It is a fake. Acura knows how to design a good looking fwd car. The Legend and 3G TL are examples of it.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Lol, you're funny! I'm pretty sure some people here are wise enough to not switch from a Lexus to an audi.

If I was part of the majority of car shoppers who lease every three or four years, I wouldn't mind an Audi. The newest interior looks great.

Will1991

Reactions
75kWh 288-cell battery, two-motor AWD with ~225KW on standard trim and ~400km WLTP range. Whether they will launch a 100kWh 384-cell, 300KW higher trim with 500km+ WLTP range is unknown. The Toyota version (BZ?) has 150kW FWD and 160kW AWD options but the Lexus version should offer a lot more power.

CHAdeMO 3.0 supports up to 400kW but they will unlikely support the full speed and use the 60kW standard speed instead. I think being their first high volume EV product a CCS model will be produced for EU specifically. The C-HR EV/UX300e are mainly for the Chinese market which is why there is no CCS support.

That would be 2A on front axle and 2B for rear Axle:

image.png

From what I'm reading, UX300e is quite efficient and Toyota could easily improve it using the same DENSO SiC semiconductors they applied into the Mirai.

This paired with a 75kWh would have a very good real world range, similar to what Tesla currently offers with the TM3LR AWD.

Performance would be acceptable as well!

NCM622 or NCM811 doesn't really matters if there is a nice compromise between range, charging speed and reliability.

Really hope you're right! :)

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
The most future-forward thinking Lexus has been since the Minority Report concept? (I’m ignoring the hideous LF-30)

In those times, a Lexus car in a futuristic sci-fi film made absolute sense. Today, we would more likely see Audi or Mercedes.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
AWD BEV Confirmed by Lexus Europe:

How do you know it's an AWD BEV from the video? I watched it twice and just enjoyed the CGI haha.

Hopefully with torque vectoring. Come on, it's like a $1,700 CAD option on the Taycan here in Canada.

ptv.PNG