Introducing the Lexus LC 500h Hybrid Coupe

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Wasn't there an article earlier that said the hybrid LC will have roughly the same hp as the std LC?

people should stop reading fake articles :).
90% of articles written in UK or AU mags, if they sound too good to be true, they are fake.

mikeavelli

Reactions
people should stop reading fake articles :).
90% of articles written in UK or AU mags, if they sound too good to be true, they are fake.

I am unsure how I feel calling it a 500 when the 500 has 467hp and this has 354hp.

Numbers have moved up in regards to value. A GS 400 in 1998 had 300hp, a huge amount at the time. Audi has a 4.0 V-8 producing anywhere from 420-600hp for example.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I just love the interior! It looks much better than the one-tone beige. I thought that the S-Class Coupe had a better interior, bit when I saw the beautiful white seats (like in the S-Class, and the steering wheel, I suddenly had my doubts.

I think their point of 500h interior they have shown was to suggest that we will be able to customize it a lot. So maybe those 3 colors we will be able to mix and match?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I am unsure how I feel calling it a 500 when the 500 has 467hp and this has 354hp.

Numbers have moved up in regards to value.

their xxxh never had anything to do with numbers but with performance, and this is actually the first time name is trully justified because it has performance to match it due to new hybrid system.

mikeavelli

Reactions
their xxxh never had anything to do with numbers but with performance, and this is actually the first time name is trully justified because it has performance to match it due to new hybrid system.

I don't agree. A Mustang 5.0 has 420hp or so. Lexus owner 5.0 has 467. Here they are saying this hybrid is a 500 but it has 354hp. Its confusing. Performance is good but seems to be slower than the V-8.

There is no 5.0 engine making that low hp. Actually 3.5 liter engines make that power, like the Nismo Z.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
Sub 5sec 0-60 from a 3.5 v6+e-motor car weighing 4000lb, must be one hell of a transmission!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Lexus model numbers for pure gasoline cars indicate displacement, not performance. It's why the LS went from 400 (4.0L) to 430 (4.3L) to 460 (4.6L). On the stock LC with the 5.0 V8, 500 is correct. For hybrids, the number is intended to indicate the equivalent displacement pure gasoline engine with the same total power. So if the hybrid LC500h is just as fast as the gasoline model LC500 (which seems to be true), they're being consistent.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Don't compare the LFA to the LC because the LFA is a two-seater supercar, while the LC is a full-size luxury 2+2 coupe. The LC is to the LFA what the S-Class Coupe is to the AMG GT. The LC is not a successor to the LFA

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Usually, the numbers in the model represents the engine capacity. For example, the IS 350 has a 3.5-liter engine, the NX 200t has a 2.0 turbocharged liter engine. The only exception would be for Hybrid engines. the GS 450h has a 3.5-liter engine, but it is called 450h because the battery adds power as well. In the same way, the LCh would have been called LC 350 if it wasn't hybrid but it's called LC 500h because it is hybrid. But I think it should have been called LC 450h or something other than 500h so it will avoid confusion with the regular LC 500.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I don't agree. A Mustang 5.0 has 420hp or so. Lexus owner 5.0 has 467. Here they are saying this hybrid is a 500 but it has 354hp. Its confusing. Performance is good but seems to be slower than the V-8.

There is no 5.0 engine making that low hp. Actually 3.5 liter engines make that power, like the Nismo Z.

I am not sure what's there to agree or not. Toyota always said hybrid designation is about performance and not hp numbers. making it about hp would not make any sense since hybrid system added 40hp before and 60hp now.

RX450h makes 300hp... ES300h makes 200hp. GS450h does 337hp... are those V8 numbers? I don't think so.

If anything, new LC500h actually has performance to match it's designation unlike models above.

It is still going to have two electric motors like before, so there is still a lot of hp under the hood, and finally 0-60 performance to match that in gear acceleration they always had.

It's all due to that 4AT, I just hope it won't add extra cost to future gs500h that was
was already expensive due to reduction gear in HSD transmission.

mikeavelli

Reactions
0 to 60 in 4.9 is not the same as 0-60 in 4.3. So Perfomance is not the same.

Also the electric engine seems to stay engaged to 87mph or so and then it's off.. So no way a 3.5 V-6 will keep up as speeds rise with a 5.0 V-8.

And mind you I owned a GS 450h and RX 400h.

To me it should be 400 or 450h but I would still buy it as a 500h :D

Reactions: CIF

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Kudos to Lexus marketing.
That video shows they not only came to play, they want to dominate the luxury coupe segment.
Lexus has stayed true to itself, producing an emotional video that elicits a visceral reaction -without ever uttering a word.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
0 to 60 in 4.9 is not the same as 0-60 in 4.3. So Perfomance is not the same.

Also the electric engine seems to stay engaged to 87mph or so and then it's off.. So no way a 3.5 V-6 will keep up as speeds rise with a 5.0 V-8.

And mind you I owned a GS 450h and RX 400h.

To me it should be 400 or 450h but I would still buy it as a 500h :D
I think people are struggling with the idea of how can a big car with just 350hp can managed 0-60 in under 5sec.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I must be the only one, but if I had the money, I'd get the Lexus LC 500h over the LC 500, over any 911 ( Carrera (S) / Turbo (S) ), over any S Coupe AMG, over any Aston Martin (Vantage/Vanquish/DB11), over the Ferrari California T and 488, the BMW M6 and i8, the Honda NSX, over any other Italian, German or British supercar, heck, I'd take it over any "status" or "emotion" car.

Something is just so perverted about a 1800 kg, no-plug hybrid car with an "old" NA aspirated 300 PS V6 engine with CVT that goes from 0-100 km/h in less than 5 sec, and makes an i8 look outdated, an S Coupe cheap, an Aston Martin ugly, the Ferrari badge worthless, and the 911 performance useless.

Do I want an LC F? Not even sure. For me personally, the LC 500h is one of the very few cars in the world worth its price tag (100K). Lexus has beaten all my expectations, by delivering something so unexpectedly expectable (looks like "old" concept car, has "old" engine, yet beats the **** out of anything).

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-21-lexus-lc-500h-photo-gallery.jpg

50 photos of the newest Lexus -- the LC 500h hybrid coupe.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
A bit confused here since it looks like a sunroof but I thought it had a panoramic glass roof standard and carbon fiber optional.

2017-Lexus-LC-500h-40.JPG

The latest post of new pictures gives an answer to your question: apparently it looks like a panoramic one on the outside, but is in reality a classic sunroof on the inside. If you take a good look at the picture below, you'll see:;)

16-02-21-lexus-lc-500h-official-00040.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
The latest post of new pictures gives an answer to your question: apparently it looks like a panoramic one on the outside, but is in reality a classic sunroof on the inside. If you take a good look at the picture below, you'll see:;)

Wow.....What is so hard about a true panoramic roof?!??!??!?!?!?

Reactions: Joe