Introducing the Lexus LC 500h Hybrid Coupe

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
CAR Magazine has a decent explanation of this new transmission -- I featured it on the homepage, but thought it would be a good idea to quote the most important passage here directly:

Don’t tell me Lexus has finally binned off the CVT?
Not entirely – the 3.5-litre V6 under the bonnet is still bolted to a pair of electric motors with a continuously variable transmission sandwiched between them. But plugged into the back of this 354bhp combination is an additional four-speed automatic gearbox that’s intended to ‘reconnect’ the driver to the driving experience by more closely aligning the engine speed to the sense of acceleration.

So – in theory at least – the LC500h should no longer be hampered by that traditional Lexus hybrid ‘rubber band’ power delivery. To balance the weight of the additional transmission, Lexus has also switched to a lithium ion battery pack; not only is this smaller and lighter than the equivalent nickel metal hydride set up, it delivers its power more fiercely, allowing for a smaller electric drive motor, too.

Four speeds? Doesn’t the non-hybrid LC500 V8 have a 10-speed transmission?
It does. But when you switch the hybrid over to Manual mode, it’ll act like it’s got 10 gears, too. The electric motor and CVT partnership is able to multiply each of the first three gears in the automatic transmission three times – turning three real ratios into nine virtual ones; the fourth physical ratio acts as an overdrive, enabling the V6 to turn over at much lower rpm when cruising.

Chief engineer Koji Sato reckons the difference between the real gears and the virtual ones is barely perceptible. In fact, the system is said to be so sophisticated that the only reason you’ll feel it change gear at all is because the engineers have told it make the process obvious, in order to give keen drivers a more satisfying experience.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne.../2016/lexus-lc500h-at-2016-geneva-motor-show/

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I do not get why they call it "M" mode, it sounds like BMW language. They should call it maybe F mode or something more Lexus like.

manual mode in automatic transmissions was always marked as M on gate shifter. It has nothing to do with BMW, M means Manual.

10185_st0640_087.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, surprising early reveal!

Honestly, I'm so conflicted once again, just like the original LC reveal.

Technology-wise, the LC500h sounds amazing. The new hybrid system sounds really awesome. Also THANK YOU Lexus for FINALLY showing an LC interior that is not all-beige. I like this 3 tone interior much better than the 1 tone LC debut interior. I'm still disappointed with the complete lack of wood trim, but the interior does look great otherwise.

So why am I conflicted? 354 total system HP...I'm sorry, but you have got to be joking. I'm surprised nobody else is disappointed by this. Despite new electric motors, lithium ion batteries, and a new hybrid system in general, power is barely increased from the old GS450h system. What happened to all the rumors that said the LC500h would have close to 500HP, or even above 500HP? This is just a massive disappointment in my opinion.

The 500h in the name is supposed to denote the power/performance equivalent to a "regular" 5.0L V8 engine. The regular LC has a 5.0L V8 as standard. I simply don't see this hybrid matching the performance of a regular LC.

Now yes, some may say that the total system power is roughly the same as the BMW i8. To that I would respond with the fact that Lexus has MUCH more hybrid experience than BMW. Yet given the years of anticipation, waiting, and rumors, the best Lexus could come up with for their brand-new hybrid system was total system power than merely matches the i8? Also another important fact is that the i8 curb weight is much less than that of the LC500h. So that gives the i8 better power-to-weight ratio. The i8 is able to hit 0-60 in about 4 seconds. Now I know paper specs aren't all that, but the i8 also handles fairly well, and is considered a very cool car due to its radical design. The LC also has a cool, radical design. The LC500h however, I can confidently say won't match an i8 in straight-line acceleration. It might match or beat it in handling, but that's about it. Fuel economy in this market segment is irrelevant.

If I sound overly negative, it's not my intention. I simply had very high expectations for the LC500h, and Lexus didn't meet my expectations, given the total output and estimated performance figures.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The 500h in the name is supposed to denote the power/performance equivalent to a "regular" 5.0L V8 engine. The regular LC has a 5.0L V8 as standard. I simply don't see this hybrid matching the performance of a regular LC.

I think LC500h doing 4.5s 0-60 is astonishing without having a plugin hybrid cheat. This new real hybrid performance is simply unheard of before.

LC is luxury coupe, it does not compete with i8. It is 600lbs lighter than S coupe, but it can not be 1100lbs lighter while still being luxury vehicle.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
Wow, surprising early reveal!

Honestly, I'm so conflicted once again, just like the original LC reveal.

Technology-wise, the LC500h sounds amazing. The new hybrid system sounds really awesome. Also THANK YOU Lexus for FINALLY showing an LC interior that is not all-beige. I like this 3 tone interior much better than the 1 tone LC debut interior. I'm still disappointed with the complete lack of wood trim, but the interior does look great otherwise.

So why am I conflicted? 354 total system HP...I'm sorry, but you have got to be joking. I'm surprised nobody else is disappointed by this. Despite new electric motors, lithium ion batteries, and a new hybrid system in general, power is barely increased from the old GS450h system. What happened to all the rumors that said the LC500h would have close to 500HP, or even above 500HP? This is just a massive disappointment in my opinion.

Now yes, some may say that the total system power is roughly the same as the BMW i8. To that I would respond with the fact that Lexus has MUCH more hybrid experience than BMW. Yet given the years of anticipation, waiting, and rumors, the best Lexus could come up with for their brand-new hybrid system was total system power than merely matches the i8? Also another important fact is that the i8 curb weight is much less than that of the LC500h. So that gives the i8 better power-to-weight ratio. The i8 is able to hit 0-60 in about 4 seconds. Now I know paper specs aren't all that, but the i8 also handles fairly well, and is considered a very cool car due to its radical design. The LC also has a cool, radical design. The LC500h however, I can confidently say won't match an i8 in straight-line acceleration. It might match or beat it in handling, but that's about it. Fuel economy in this market segment is irrelevant.

If I sound overly negative, it's not my intention. I simply had very high expectations for the LC500h, and Lexus didn't meet my expectations, given the total output and estimated performance figures.
Wasn't there an article earlier that said the hybrid LC will have roughly the same hp as the std LC?

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
"Damn.......DAMN!!!!..........DAAAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!" - Luxury Car Exucutives in Stuttgart and Munich
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Wasn't there an article earlier that said the hybrid LC will have roughly the same hp as the std LC?

Uhhhhh......it does 60 in "well under 5 seconds!"
Only the truly insecure care about the actual HP of a hybrid that fast!

Be better than that.
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Things to consider:

Let's compare this to the Mercedes S550e Hybrid

The Mercedes weighs over 1000 lbs more (Much bigger car)
The Mercedes is listed at 436 HP, 92 more than the LC500h
0-60 is listed at 5.2 which is at least half a second behind the LC
EPA mileage estimated sat 24/30
7-speed slushbox
Costs $95,650

So the Lexus weighs 20% less, is less powerful, and has a much more advanced transmission than the garden variety S-Class "G-Tronic" 7-speed
I would expect it to be MUCH more efficient than 24/30, while also being noticeably faster.
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
The sound (the V8) of the Jaguar F-Type
The interior of the 6-series
The drive of a 911
The look of a Lexus

All for under $100k. This must be a dream!
BD

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I just love the interior! It looks much better than the one-tone beige. I thought that the S-Class Coupe had a better interior, bit when I saw the beautiful white seats (like in the S-Class, and the steering wheel, I suddenly had my doubts.

At first, I thought I wasn't going to like the 500h because the electric motor won't sound good, but in the video, it actually sounded cool, just in a different way than an engine. It sounds like it's hissing. Soon in the future, people will be more attracted to these sounds, than the roar of say, a V8. I've seen Teslas speeding on the road, and they have similar sounds, but the 500h sounds better than the Model S.

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I think the best part of the LC LCH whichever you prefer is that this is a car you dream to have and plan to have and actually have compared to the last dream car from Lexus which was the LFA. Don't get me wrong I would have done anything to get one but the odds of having one of 500 were slim to none to most if not all of us. The LC LCH is a definite possibility for a lot more people.

Reactions
I think the best part of the LC LCH whichever you prefer is that this is a car you dream to have and plan to have and actually have compared to the last dream car from Lexus which was the LFA. Don't get me wrong I would have done anything to get one but the odds of having one of 500 were slim to none to most if not all of us. The LC LCH is a definite possibility for a lot more people.
This car also looks much better than LFA.
LC500 almost looks as exotic as an Italian, but also can be easily seen actually a Japanese car.

Just notice that they took out the small orange light on the front wheel fender in Europe.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
LC500 almost looks as exotic as an Italian, but also can be easily seen actually a Japanese car.

Just notice that they took out the small orange light on the front wheel fender in Europe.
Don't get me wrong I think the LC probably does look better than an LFA but it's also much newer and Lexus design has vastly changed for the better. But that V10 was extremely special and we might not see something like it again

Reactions
Don't get me wrong I think the LC probably does look better than an LFA but it's also much newer and Lexus design has vastly changed for the better. But that V10 was extremely special and we might not see something like it again
I know what you mean.
Some dealer still has new LFA, and just asking 1/2 million

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions

I dunno...its really close but I'd still give an edge to the LFA's

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
The sound (the V8) of the Jaguar F-Type
The interior of the 6-series
The drive of a 911
The look of a Lexus

All for under $100k. This must be a dream!
BD

Unfortunately, it will remain a dream for me, I think.
But I'm not complaining with my RC F Sport :grinning: