Introducing the Lexus LC 500h Hybrid Coupe

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Autoblog has a pretty good explanation of the transmission as well:

The basics: In the LC 500h, its first application, the Multi Stage Hybrid System will consist of a 3.5-liter V6, a hybrid transmission, and a lithium-ion battery pack. The hybrid transmission has an electric motor for motivation (and we're guessing a second for charging) and a four-speed automatic mounted to its rear, which either means inside or aft and in series. Why add ancient tech to a new hybrid system? Lexus says it preserves the connection between throttle input and engine speed that gets lost in a CVT. And while four seems like an insignificant sum in the face of nine- and 10-speed autos, remember that it is an infinite increase in gear count compared to CVT-packing hybrids.

But that doesn't make for the most exciting or familiar driving experience, as it affects both power delivery and the sound of the power being delivered. This is where the four-speed auto comes in. Based on the limited details Lexus has shared, our hunch is that the hybrid transmission will meld some form of the existing Lexus Hybrid Drive system with two more planetary gearsets, or the basic guts of a four-speed auto. This will provide the four fixed ratios and the feeling of actual shifting gears – because there will be actual gears shifting. (Students of history will recall that a GM/Daimler/BMW hybrid transmission joint venture produced a two-mode system that used two electric motors and a series of planetary gearsets providing four distinct gear ratios. Knowing Toyota, we're guessing this new hybrid system is simpler, more efficient, and in some way ingenious.)

That gear shiftiness means the engineers were able to add the first manual mode for a Lexus hybrid. It is imaginatively called M mode and should not be confused with the M button from a certain manufacturer with an M in the middle of its name that makes cars plastered with the letter everywhere possible.

Source and more info: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/18/lexus-lc-500h-four-speed-auto/

Reactions: Joe

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
A bit confused here since it looks like a sunroof but I thought it had a panoramic glass roof standard and carbon fiber optional.

2017-Lexus-LC-500h-40.JPG
I think it just a retractable cover so that you can close it if you want.

Press release with all the photos :)
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5477

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
D

DDas

This means they'll be offering two-toned interiors unlike the one-tone beige on the red LC500 (which I won't lie was beautiful). I just prefer the two-tone look. I'm hoping for a beautiful black/red one like the IS, RC/F, etc. Great job Lexus!

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
- 1800kg total weight - 4050lbs! Very good!!!!

Just a thought: don't you think that the press is going to be very critical again on the weight, as much as they did with the RC F? The weight is comparable with BMW 6 series and 200 kgs lighter than the MB S class coupe, but it sure is much more heavy than - for example - a Porsche 911.
I am wondering if that's going to be an issue.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Just a thought: don't you think that the press is going to be very critical again on the weight, as much as they did with the RC F? The weight is comparable with BMW 6 series and 200 kgs lighter than the MB S class coupe, but it sure is much more heavy than - for example - a Porsche 911.
I am wondering if that's going to be an issue.

Seems like 300lbs lighter than downmarket 650i and over 500lbs lighter than S coupe. Sounds good, I guess everyone will point out how light it is.

Reactions
Breathtaking interior!

I bet the new 4 AT is nowhere the same as the old one used in last gen Corolla alike. It is prob for electric motor.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Just a quick question off topic from the LCH I saw a SC today first off when did it stop being produced and why did they stop producing it?

Reactions
Just a quick question off topic from the LCH I saw a SC today first off when did it stop being produced and why did they stop producing it?
Never saw Terminator 3?

SC was a very hot car when it was just released!
No car will be staying hot after 10 years, that is why manufactures need to make re-designs. It was like 4 years ago, Lexus stop the SC, the main reason surely was the sale number.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Breathtaking interior!

I bet the new 4 AT is nowhere the same as the old one used in last gen Corolla alike. It is prob for electric motor.

Due to PR that was worded as if it really only had 4AT, I guess many people thought of that too. Obviously this is specifically built for HSD, to provide gear reduction. They actually do have new 4AT transmissions they use for cheap cars in China but these things can handle only tiny amounts of torque. On the other hand, this "transmission" can basically handle a sports V8 engine.

Reactions
Due to PR that was worded as if it really only had 4AT, I guess many people thought of that too. Obviously this is specifically built for HSD, to provide gear reduction. They actually do have new 4AT transmissions they use for cheap cars in China but these things can handle only tiny amounts of torque. On the other hand, this "transmission" can basically handle a sports V8 engine.
Different for sure, I expect way more differences in this new 4AT.

Just watched the video, very good job, Lexus!

Surprised that Lexus not showing LC500h with new set of wheels.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Damn, even in blue wonderful !
Never thought that blue can be so beautiful, even for the interior.
But I would love to see this one in black....

mikeavelli

Reactions
We are talking to a high ranking Lexus Official to provide additional clarity on this new hybrid and transmission. Hope to have info soon!

In essence it sounds like the 4 speed is there to provide the driver with "feel" that is lacking form a CVT only transmission, but in essence coupled with the CVT it has infinite gears technically. Sounds like 10 gears in Manual mode. As a past owner of a 450h, that would be awesome since the CVT by itself even in manual mode is so smooth it doesn't really provide much feedback in regards to being a drivers car.

I think that is right lol...