Favorite Non-Lexus Car Commercials

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I got to be honest Lexfather, Mercedes marketing is really losing me. That AMG ad doesn't appeal to me at all :confused:.

This one's amusing, too, though I'm not sure it could really be considered a great ad......Shaq O'Neill trying to convince us that he and his Gargantuan-sized frame can get comfortable in a Buick LaCrosse, with the seat angle raked way back and his legs straddling the steering wheel. :D

Shaq ads are always amusing, that was funny :D.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Second, references to Pinto don't apply. Pinto had both a very rearward gas tank location and can opener rear axle hardware nearby, not applicable. (70's are long gone, except for some fun music, lol)

The real problem was not necessarily the rear axle hardware but that Ford was too cheap (and weight-conscious) to add an extra frame-rail crossmember behind the gas tank location. Engineers warned that it was unsafe, but King Henry II thought he knew better.

My brother, who is (otherwise) seriously interested in an HR-V, is probably more nervous about the gas-tank location than I am.....I have a lot of faith in Honda's engineers. And, as you note, this is not the 1970s, and Honda isn't run by people like King Henry. But even a couple of the HR-V's auto-press reviewers have expressed some misgivings about the tank's location.

Oh yes, I agree CVT drivability is not acceptable, and many CVT have other issues too. (Toy/Lex hybrid CVTs are of a much different design and are actually reliable but that's a very different unit.). Premium carmakers (and Mazda) have gone route of advanced multispeed trannys for good reason.

Since the thread-topic is ads, I notice that a lot of car ads don't even mention CVT's.....the manufacturers know that some people dislike them. But the average car buyer, in many ways, couldn't care less.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Shaq ads are always amusing, that was funny :D.

Even crammed into a LaCrosse, though, he probably makes a better spokesperson for Buick than Tiger Woods, Buick's former poster-man. Woods, for a while, was driving a Porsche, and then he had that noted accident in his Cadillac Escalade right around the time his affair became public.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
(
The real problem was not necessarily the rear axle hardware but that Ford was too cheap (and weight-conscious) to add an extra frame-rail crossmember behind the gas tank location. Engineers warned that it was unsafe, but King Henry II thought he knew better.

Since the thread-topic is ads, I notice that a lot of car ads don't even mention CVT's.....the manufacturers know that some people dislike them. But the average car buyer, in many ways, couldn't care less.

I don't think anybody here knows (or cares) what necessarily the "real problem" is with Pinto gas tank, although you wont find many cars today with a can opener sharp edge on rear axle so close to unprotected gas tank, so I wont waste additional time discussing it. As I said earlier, not applicable, and it's still not.

Your nervous brother might consider waiting for CX-3, a better looking and better performing vehicle.

Good observation about how the automakers would rather not talk about CVT's in ads, although more astute buyers will continue to question. I won't make a guess as to how apathetic a "average buyer" might be, but I agree many will not know the difference.

Last edited: