Favorite Non-Lexus Car Commercials

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
There are tonnes out there over time, but to kick this off, the recent Fiat ones showcase their product in a whimsical and catchy way. Love them! :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Do they have to be recent ads, Mike.....or for modern cars? If not, I think the clever and witty VW commercials of the 60s and 70s, for their old air-cooled rear-engined vehicles and FWD Rabbits were some of the best.

7749d1392196044t-vw-adverts-thread-357_1_a_face_only_a_mother_could_love-jpg

16-50-publicites-Volkswagen.jpg

4a97654bc95b7158cf2c6e0f13a097ff.jpg

13ce39b15bbe36db4c46b49f74af75c8.jpg

67vwfloatingbeetle.jpg

tRULdwxiuvhqSUMXqhQD7p__pYpoLtKG0Z2VZbThTw=w351-h194-p-no

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I want more Kia hamster commercials.

Yes, they were cute. And they (apparently) work.....One local Kia shop tells me that roughly half of the sales there today are Souls. In fact, my brother bought one...but not just because of the commercials. He liked the vehicle itself. In that Kia shop's showroom, they (at the time) had a bright red Soul with four large stuffed hamsters...one for each seat.

Nissan tried doing a series of ads with dogs driving the vehicles, but they weren't as well done as Kia's.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I want more Kia hamster commercials.

Personally I can't stand those hamster commercials. Not that I'm in the market for a Kia, but if I was, those commercials would actively turn me off from buying a Kia :D.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Like so many things ads, the product is almost lost in the noise.

The chubby rappin hamsters were best.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Personally I can't stand those hamster commercials. Not that I'm in the market for a Kia, but if I was, those commercials would actively turn me off from buying a Kia :D.

Though admittedly cute, those ads generally weren't my cup of tea, either, as my tastes in vehicles is usually based on more objective criteria. But, like I replied to Steve, there's no denying that those ads work.....Soul sales basically keep the Kia shops in business. ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
As much as I enjoy the hamsters, I give very little credit to the ads for generating sales success of Kia Soul.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As much as I enjoy the hamsters, I give very little credit to the ads for generating sales success of Kia Soul.

Maybe not with car-saavy people like you and me (and my brother) who think on their own, or judge a vehicle by is own merits, but you would be surprised at the power of marketing. Those ad agencies don't make the kind of cash they do for nothing.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Maybe not with car-saavy people like you and me (and my brother) who think on their own, or judge a vehicle by is own merits, but you would be surprised at the power of marketing. Those ad agencies don't make the kind of cash they do for nothing.

Sometimes they (ad agencies ) do make money for delivering essentially nothing. That's why they are often terminated and that's why new campaigns are often the result.

The Soul is best selling Kia in a lineup that's not especially strong, no surprise. Kia and Hundai got free (negative unfortunately) advertising after admitting cheating on gas mileage claims, impact was widely known.

Reactions: CIF

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Can't forget Toyota ones from the past

Haha, good ones, brings back memories of my youth and our first Toyota, an 87 Camry which we LOVED the leaps in quality having come from a POS lemon Mustang 2.3 4 cyl, 3 speed.

Oddly enough, the V6 Camry commercial stated 153 hp, but I remember it as 156 hp.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Haha, good ones, brings back memories of my youth and our first Toyota, an 87 Camry which we LOVED the leaps in quality having come from a POS lemon Mustang 2.3 4 cyl, 3 speed.

Oddly enough, the V6 Camry commercial stated 153 hp, but I remember it as 156 hp.

Today, off course, you have in-line, normally-aspirated fours running more power than that. And I can't argue with you about the low quality of 80s-vintage Mustangs......you're right on; they spoke for themselves.

While we're on the subject of old Toyotas ..............Anybody remember the "Oh, What a Feeling" ads?

hqdefault.jpg

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Today, off course, you have in-line, normally-aspirated fours running more power than that. And I can't argue with you about the low quality of 80s-vintage Mustangs......you're right on; they spoke for themselves.

While we're on the subject of old Toyotas ..............Anybody remember the "Oh, What a Feeling" ads?

hqdefault.jpg

Our 1.5 year-new '85 Mustang stalled on the highway during our family vacation trip to Jersey. We had to take a bus. My dad switched to Toyota right after the trip and no turning back since.

Haha, yes, cheesy in hindsight - "Oh what a feeling to drive, Toyota!" Some jumped really high. :D

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Mustang 2, Boredom Zero, remember that glorified Pinto, lol.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Mustang 2, Boredom Zero, remember that glorified Pinto, lol.

You're probably already aware of this, but, if not, the awful Mustang 2 came out more than 10 years before the '85 version he was talking about. And, yes, it was a redone Pinto. What a joke. Even the 302 V8 Cobra version only had some 150 Net HP.

Here's the graphic-ad, BTW, that you were referring to.........it's a little small, but that was the only size I could find.

$T2eC16F,!w0E9szNW4)7BR)2lwTvn!~~60_35.JPG