Favorite Non-Lexus Car Commercials

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
By the way mmcartalk, that Levi's Gremlin is hilarious, but unique. A model variant with quite a lot of character. Definitely a very 70s sort of thing to do :).

Such unique model variants are a lot less common now (The Japanese market though still retains a lot of unique variants and options).

By the early 1970's, with the demise of the muscle-car era, auto manufacturers had to come up with other ways to try and market special packages to appeal to young people. This was one of them.....use the blue jeans many of them wore every day.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I know there's a lot of posts in this thread (and it's an excellent thread, BTW...thanks, corradoMR2 ):). But, I couldn't resist posting this one....which, if you go back in time long enough, was arguably the most famous car ad of all time.....Henry Ford's proclamation that he would paint his Model T only one color...black. That was because, at the time, black was considered the simplest color to do and the one that caused the fewest problems on the assembly line.....though it is also generally the most difficult color for a car-owner to keep clean. Later, as paint-technology and processes improved, Model Ts were offered in other colors. (Henry didn't like it, but then, he never liked any real kind of automotive progress except for the moving assembly line). He didn't even approve getting rid of mechanical strap-brakes until almost a decade after the rest of the industry had converted to hydraulic drum-brakes. And he stuck with his beloved Model T through thick and thin, until his wife Clara (who he was devoted to) threatened to leave him unless he got his head out of the sand and approved the new Model A.

consumer-behaviour-part1-the-consumer-in-context-10-728.jpg

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Famous, yes. Surely a historic ad.

Favorite non-Lexus ad, no (as per original topic by corradoMR2', a great idea for a thread:))

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^ Famous, yes. Surely a historic ad.

Favorite non-Lexus ad, no (as per original topic by corradoMR2', a great idea for a thread:))

Yes, it may not have been some people's favorite ad from a personal standpoint, but it was probably the first one that defined sales and marketing of a particular vehicle to the masses. In fact, thousands of miles away, Adolf Hitler, despite his many evils, was an admirer of Henry Ford and all that Ford had accomplished by bringing low-cost automobiles to the American masses. He resolved to do more or less the same thing in Germany with Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, and we all know what the result was.....the first rear-engined air-cooled Beetle, based on an existing Czech design called the Tatra.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
Recently, I saw a Honda commercial paying homage to its older vehicles (CRX, Prelude, Del Sol, S2000) and creating a retro to modernized timelapse into its newer vehicles. While I don't like the new HR-V (still reminds me of a Crosstour), the idea behind it is pretty nostalgic. I can only imagine how epic a Toyota or Lexus version of this would be with the many favorable models of years past.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Recently, I saw a Honda commercial paying homage to its older vehicles (CRX, Prelude, Del Sol, S2000) and creating a retro to modernized timelapse into its newer vehicles.

Problem is, Honda, today, doesn't really have anything in its American market line-up to replace those old classics with (and, in some ways, the Del Sol itself was not a true replacement for the CRX). The closest thing Honda has today is probably the CR-Z...and it, despite the CRX-type body and availability of a manual transmission, is more of an economical small hybrid than a true sport-oriented model. And the CR-Z itself may not be around much longer.

While I don't like the new HR-V (still reminds me of a Crosstour), the idea behind it is pretty nostalgic.

Since the CR-V, today, has grown so much in size since it was introduced in the late 1990s, the HR-V, more or less replaces the first CR-V in size.

I can only imagine how epic a Toyota or Lexus version of this would be with the many favorable models of years past.

Well, since we have a Toyota/Lexus rep here on the forum..........that might (?) be a suggestion on your part. The Celica and MR-2 of the past could tie in with either today's Scion's FR-S or Toyota's version of it. Or, the original LS400 could tie in with today's big spindle-grille LS460.

Last edited:
Reactions
Recently, I saw a Honda commercial paying homage to its older vehicles (CRX, Prelude, Del Sol, S2000) and creating a retro to modernized timelapse into its newer vehicles. While I don't like the new HR-V (still reminds me of a Crosstour), the idea behind it is pretty nostalgic. I can only imagine how epic a Toyota or Lexus version of this would be with the many favorable models of years past.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
TB - Now there's a great on-topic non-Lexus commercial. Nicely showcasing of some memorable cars in Honda's history and implying they are still producing unique and desirable vehicles. That was fun too. :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This one's amusing, too, though I'm not sure it could really be considered a great ad......Shaq O'Neill trying to convince us that he and his Gargantuan-sized frame can get comfortable in a Buick LaCrosse, with the seat angle raked way back and his legs straddling the steering wheel. :D

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Shaq ad, yes, amusing (and not especially convincing), not even close to being my favorite.

Reactions
TB - Now there's a great on-topic non-Lexus commercial. Nicely showcasing of some memorable cars in Honda's history and implying they are still producing unique and desirable vehicles. That was fun too. :)
I find that their most desirable vehicles are the ones they don't make anymore. :p

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There are tonnes out there over time, but to kick this off, the recent Fiat ones showcase their product in a whimsical and catchy way. Love them! :D

In the first video, Fiat seems to have departed from its usual practice of trying to sell cars in the U.S. with sex-oriented commercials. In the second one, they seem to have gone back to it...but in a different way.;)

mikeavelli

Reactions

Now it seems Honda sold over 6k in two weeks so its a hit for them in sales. But for reputation I think it just continues to make Honda into a dull brand and if you read the comments of the video, people are pretty outraged they drew parallels to a bunch of cool cars they used to make, to the HR-V. It really is odd marketing, the HR-V does not drive anything fun from what reviews are saying and they are broadcasting and acknowledging they no longer make cool fun cars.

Really odd commercial.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Now it seems Honda sold over 6k in two weeks so its a hit for them in sales. But for reputation I think it just continues to make Honda into a dull brand and if you read the comments of the video, people are pretty outraged they drew parallels to a bunch of cool cars they used to make, to the HR-V. It really is odd marketing, the HR-V does not drive anything fun from what reviews are saying and they are broadcasting and acknowledging they no longer make cool fun cars.

Really odd commercial.

I'd agree that the HR-V is not a "fun" or "cool" vehicle in the sense that you are using the term, but I still find it it quite an entertaining ad. I think what they were getting at is that the HR-V is not intended to be a sports car, but, in its design and execution, uses engineering know-how and experience from those former vehicles mentioned. There is probably no way that something with the weight and drag of AWD and only 127 ft-lbs. of torque is going to be considered "Sporty"....that's pretty much beyond debate. And the HR-V is no performance machine....I test-drove a couple myself a few weeks ago, on my brother's request, though I didn't write them up in a review. It is, though, something that a lot of people are going to look at seriously (including my brother, who wants a new small AWD vehicle that is reliable, economical, and space-efficient.....he's also looking at some competitors, and waiting for some competitors that haven't been released yet, like the Mazda CX-3 and the new Sportage this fall). But, as you note, when 6000 are sold in two weeks, something is going right. And I'm impressed with at least its initial build quality. ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
CVT, not happening in my garage period, unless it's a hybrid. Mazda wisely did Skyactiv 6 speed w/CX-3.

Yes HRV is very good vehicle for intended mass market, expect consistently big sales numbers accordingly.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
CVT, not happening in my garage period, unless it's a hybrid. Mazda wisely did Skyactiv 6 speed w/CX-3.

Yes HRV is very good vehicle for intended mass market, expect consistently big sales numbers accordingly.

Though you and I do not always agree, I'm with you on that one.....I'd rather see a well-engineered 6 or 7-speed than a CVT (8 or 9 speeds might be a little overkill). But more and more manufacturers are turning to CVTs because of their efficiency....it's either that or (when available) rowing your own gears with a traditional clutch and manual, which, with today's urban stop-and-go traffic, is simply unrealistic for a lot of buyers.

The CVT is one of the few things I dislike about the HR-V.......along with the gas tank location under the driver's seat, though I'm sure the engineers have done a lot of crash-testing to make sure the driver doesn't end up well-done. Nobody, today, wants a repeat of the infamous Ford Pinto gas-tank ruptures of the 1970s.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Though you and I do not always agree, I'm with you on that one.....I'd rather see a well-engineered 6 or 7-speed than a CVT (8 or 9 speeds might be a little overkill). But more and more manufacturers are turning to CVTs because of their efficiency....it's either that or (when available) rowing your own gears with a traditional clutch and manual, which, with today's urban stop-and-go traffic, is simply unrealistic for a lot of buyers.

The CVT is one of the few things I dislike about the HR-V.......along with the gas tank location under the driver's seat, though I'm sure the engineers did a lot of crash-testing. Nobody, today, wants a repeat of the infamous Ford Pinto gas-tank ruptures of the 1970s.

First, this forum should not be about you or me, please don't make it into something along those lines, zero value.

Second, references to Pinto don't apply. Pinto had both a very rearward gas tank location and can opener rear axle hardware nearby, not applicable. (70's are long gone, except for some fun music, lol)

Oh yes, I agree CVT drivability is not acceptable, and many CVT have other issues too. (Toy/Lex hybrid CVTs are of a much different design and are actually reliable but that's a very different unit.). Premium carmakers (and Mazda) have gone route of advanced multispeed trannys for good reason.