Favorite Non-Lexus Car Commercials

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
When this came out I thought it was awesome.....maybe 7-8 years ago, not sure....now they make FWD cars lol...

bmw-front-wheel-drive-fWD1.jpg

I agree that's a witty BMW ad, Mike, but I think VW one-upped them on this FWD ad:

And, of course, the first large-scale FWD VW product in the U.S. (besides the poor-selling Dasher of 1974) was the Rabbit. ;)

(I agree that it's ironic that BMW is now starting FWD.....just as with Volvo some 20 years ago)

vw-vw-rabbit-small-81700.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Is that what a Rabbit turd(tle) looks like?

VW probably hopes we don't remember that ad, because it kind of looks like their US sales lately, slow and steady (or declining)...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Is that what a rabbit turd(tle) looks like? VW probably hopes we don't remember that because it kind of looks like their US sales lately, slow and steady (or declining)...

I've driven GTIs. In the early 1980s, they (arguably) started the whole idea of the relatively high-powered, FWD/AWD, driver-centered pocket-rocket hatchbacks. In its time, the GTI was considered one of the best pocket-rockets on the market, but I agree that sales lately have not been impressive, simply because of a lot more competition now.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I've driven GTIs. In the early 1980s, they (arguably) started the whole idea of the relatively high-powered, FWD/AWD, driver-centered pocket-rocket hatchbacks. In its time, the GTI was considered one of the best pocket-rockets on the market, but I agree that sales lately have not been impressive, simply because of a lot more competition now.

Yes same here (not that it matters here), and that was a long long time ago in the auto business. Competition is increasingly intense in this low to mid price range today, and buyers of affordable cars have more stylish, better performing, more reliable choices to consider.

But back on topic, the VW ad, Rabbit Turd(tle) is not one of my favorites.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes same here (not that it matters here), and that was a long long time ago in the auto business. Competition is increasingly intense in this low to mid price range today, and buyers of affordable cars have more stylish, better performing, more reliable choices to consider.

But back on topic, the VW ad, Rabbit Turd(tle) is not one of my favorites.

The really witty VW ads were from the 60s and early 70s. I posted some of them at the start of this thread....and there were many more.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, the air-cooled VW ads from the 60's were very original, just like the cars (thumbsup).

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
SO many clever old car ads from various brands. I LOVE those old VW ads, as well as those old Toyota commercials, just awesome :D.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's another famous ad I remember well from the mid-1960s, as Ford tried to convince people that their full-size models could compete with Rolls-Royce in ride quietness. Back then, Ford and GM products, on average, because of their body-on-frame construction, coil spring suspensions, and good insulation, DID tend to ride softer and quieter than Chrysler products. Chrysler products of the era were (mostly) unibody construction and front torsion-bar/rear leaf suspension, which was better-handling and more stable than coil springs, but tended to amplify road noise and ride more firmly.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Joe Isuzu ^ . Now that's right on topic!

Yeah.....I liked the Joe Isuzu ads myself. (In comparison, they actually made car salespeople look honest):D.

Problem was.........those ads just didn't work with Isuzu's passenger cars. They managed to sell SUVs and trucks here in the U.S. (in some cases, rebadged as Hondas and Acuras). But Isuzu just couldn't really capture the American public's attention with their passenger cars....the I-Mark, Impulse, and the redone Chevy/Geo versions (Storm and Spectrum). In fact, Isuzu couldn't sell some of their passenger cars even in their own Japanese home market......they had to strike a deal with Honda to provide rebadged Civics as I-Marks for the Japanese market (and the 1Gen Honda Odyssey rebadged as the Isuzu Oasis), while Isuzu Rodeo and Trooper SUVs were rebadged as Honda Passports and the Acura SLX. Honda, of course, later developed the CR-V and Pilot on their own, and didn't need Isuzu products any more.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Great thread idea so far. Some excellent ads posted by everyone.

Here's another one of my favorite old car ads...........the AMC Gremlin Levi edition of the 1970s, which had blue-denim interior seat-upholstery, denim-blue-colored trim, and was body-painted to match. There was also a matching TV ad showing a teen-age girl getting freaked out and shouting "Cool...a car that wears pants":)..but I couldn't find a video of it.

(if anyone else finds it, feel free to post it)

gremlin_levi.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Cool pics of blue denim seats with ORANGE stitching.

Question (I'm curious even if a bit off topic):
Does anybody know the origin of RED stitching on black interiors today?

I've had a couple cars recently with this nice touch (Mazda cX5 Grand Touring and now a Mercedes C class w/Sport pkg PLUS).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^ Cool pics of blue denim seats with ORANGE stitching.

Question (I'm curious even if a bit off topic):
Does anybody know the origin of RED stitching on black interiors today?

I've had a couple cars recently with this nice touch (Mazda cX5 Grand Touring and now a Mercedes C class w/Sport pkg PLUS).

I know this is not a terribly definitive answer, but, in general, red stitching, especially with black interiors, is associated with sport-orientation and driver-centered vehicles. It's supposed to at least give the image that the average Grandpa and Grandma (unless they were an elderly person like Carroll Shelby, Denise McCluggage, Paul Newman, etc...., who were involved in many years of racing), probably wouldn't be interested in the vehicle.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I know this is not a terribly definitive answer, but, in general, red stitching, especially with black interiors, is associated with sport-orientation and driver-centered vehicles. It's supposed to at least give the image that the average Grandpa and Grandma (unless they were an elderly person like Carroll Shelby, Denise McCluggage, Paul Newman, etc...., who were involved in many years of racing), probably wouldn't be interested in the vehicle.

You might be on to something (without "average" grandpa/ma assumption, I'm old enough to resemble that), so does anybody know what Sports cars started red stitching? I'm thinking something British like Jag or MG roadster w/leather, somebody here might know......

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not a fan of those ads, but the whole situation is quite funny :D.

Agreed, companies that need to dwell on naming the competitors needed to do better (often in more ways than one including product)...

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
By the way mmcartalk, that Levi's Gremlin is hilarious, but unique. A model variant with quite a lot of character. Definitely a very 70s sort of thing to do :).

Such unique model variants are a lot less common now (The Japanese market though still retains a lot of unique variants and options).