7th Generation (2019+) Lexus ES (250, 260, 300h, 350) Megathread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Even for the Germans, some buyers don't even know it's RWD... BMW came to this realization with the 1 series ( https://www.automobilemag.com/news/...dont-know-they-have-rearwheeldrive-cars-3558/ ).

Let’s be honest, and this isn’t such a big "issue" for NA, but does it really need to be RWD on a 2L diesel engine? What difference does it makes being FWD or RWD with engines producing around 200hp (or even less sometimes) on a big sedan?

ES300h is a pretty decent well priced car, with an excellent build quality, standard equipment and pretty good fuel economy.
But I was expecting a bit more from this facelift to be honest, at least a hybrid AWD like what’s offered in the UX250h.

PS: Thankfully Lexus is also bringing Enthusiasm back so we’re getting a bit of both worlds 😎

A6 is very popular vehicle in Europe, and most are FWD these days with very boring 2.0 TDI.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
In real world conditions I would be amazed if a M3P could keep up with a Taycan 4S. Probably end up in limp mode before long.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In real world conditions I would be amazed if a M3P could keep up with a Taycan 4S. Probably end up in limp mode before long.

in real world conditions, it is faster, handles well and has longer range. Porsche is more luxurious by far, and probably overall has nicer drive but M3P drives really tight and its technology is at much higher end than 2x more expensive Porsche.

In any case, back to ES. Large, luxurious, comfortable and fast enough. That is why most people buy ES.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I am pretty sure how it drives since i drove it... several times. And that is the whole idea, i understand what M3P is and what it is not - it is vehicle faster than Taycan 4S but less luxurious, at half the price (here). It is more technologically advanced, by far and less luxurious.

Same as ES, people are not dumb, they know what they are buying. If you cant understand why people buy ES instead of Camry, you are missing the whole ball game. But that is fine too.

Taycan 4S starts at $120k CAD here. Going for CT4S for same price includes bigger battery, PASM and a few others as standard.

The TM3P is $75k here. Surprised the Porsche is pricier in Europe, where it is made and where residents may get some form of rebate.

I think any Tesla is great for acceleration but reviews of handling /nimbleness even on the TM3P are mixed from my recollection when it first debuted. Of course they are comparing it to lighter sport sedans, some of which have torque vectoring differentials. Maybe tweaks have made it significantly better.

It has a spartan interior to save cost and weight to extend driving range. To be honest, to me the interior really looks ugly but even the 918 interior isn't something I dig, and a lot has to do with the shape of the air vents. Good Tesla went with double wishbone suspensions upfront.

It think by the time solid state batteries / next gen batteries are a thing, electric torque vectoring on a $85k CAD car like the A6 etron ($65k here for the A6 AWD) will be more ubiquitous. It's already on the Taycan and etron RS GT and likely will be available to the Macan EV. Then I will flip the buy switch. I really don't think these Li-ion batteries will go over 12 years. Each cell has about 1500 full charge cycles to them.

I don't change cars often (nothing to me is that compelling and if there's a few that I dig, they are too expensive for my budget, cost a lot to fill up and the potential maintenance nightmare down the road...) and we don't have the autobahn here (did get to drive on some segments when I visited Germany in 2019 driving a Ford Mondeo wagon lol) and I sure have no time to track a car so I prefer nimbleness over 0-100 below 4 seconds. TV also helps when the two sides of the car are travelling on very different mu/coefficient of friction so it's also a safety component for me.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
LOL, that's a touchy subject
View attachment 4807

This question was started why back in 2014
The answer for me is simple, and can make some of my fellow Americans sad

Yes TRUCKS invented by Americans, but mastered by the Japanese

Honestly the payload of the Hilux with this ancient chassis can match or exceeds some of the new fullsize american trucks but in a somehow compact size compared with the full size trucks

That's with absolutely zero issue to work 24/7 with maximum payload in extreme weather situations from snow in winter to near 55 degree celsius in summer