5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Interesting notes:
-A review note from a media/product manager interaction stated that the 500 was benchmarked against SQ5s? Is their a reason they went down and up segment/powertrain?

-SG had a slide up that I dont know if it was courtesy of Lexus Media, or his own work, but they are targeting 43% conquest buyers vs 33% RX loyalists? Bold to say the least.

-Will Lexus provide limited samples of these new colors waves to dealers as they have in the past, making them prime ADM targets, or will they actually produce enough so that White, Black, or some shade of grey/silver are not the most dominate colors to choose from on a dealer lot?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Extending upon the "conquest sales", can the RX stave off the Model Y from taking over the number 1 luxu CUV crown?

Reactions
-SG had a slide up that I dont know if it was courtesy of Lexus Media, or his own work, but they are targeting 43% conquest buyers vs 33% RX loyalists? Bold to say the least.
The conquests might come from offering those new PHEV powertrains and what not; the 500h plug-in would be the obvious main attraction for that crowd, while still offering to their loyal buyers the regular gas and hybrid p-trains.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Extending upon the "conquest sales", can the RX stave off the Model Y from taking over the number 1 luxu CUV crown?

Model Y isn’t lux just priced like it. How many did they sell? I know the model 3 is around 150k a year here I think. Kinda shocked the Y hasn’t passed it yet.

The conquests might come from offering those new PHEV powertrains and what not; the 500h plug-in would be the obvious main attraction for that crowd, while still offering to their loyal buyers the regular gas and hybrid p-trains.

Not just that but now that it’s sportier the old FX owner might jump, the Alfa owner tired of bad reliability etc….It worked for the IS so should work here.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Model Y isn’t lux just priced like it. How many did they sell? I know the model 3 is around 150k a year here I think. Kinda shocked the Y hasn’t passed it yet.
Havent checked the official reports, but some aggregators suggested they outsold them MY21 by 60k units. Mind you, you'd hear the fanbois of Tesla yell this triumph from the tree tops.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Havent checked the official reports, but some aggregators suggested they outsold them MY21 by 60k units. Mind you, you'd hear the fanbois of Tesla yell this triumph from the tree tops.

Wow if this is correct it was 160k last year. It blew by the RX. I don’t doubt it as every other car here is white model y lol.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Pardon my naivete, 43% of conquest buyers is a significant cap, especially on a limited availability model like the 500h buyer or any PHEV model. Even with rumored RXe or if we combine RZ numbers its a monumental task.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I know this line is blurry, but are we really calling the Model Y an SUV/CUV?

It's a Model 3 with a growth on the greenhouse.
i think the "conquest" sales figures that Tesla has been able to extract from the OEMs Luxury marques kind of confirms that its is indeed a midsize-CUV luxury contender. The opposite is quite frankly is in the single digits, and similarly pale numbers exist between the OEM luxury marques conquest programs. Lexus (again I have yet to confirm that slide was made by SG or LPR) is targeting a huge conquest metric.

Whether any Tesla product checks individual user definitions for luxury or a CUV is of course independent of that.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My dislike of the RX500h is not what their performance target is, but how they achieved that performance target.

The new P2 parallel hybrid system is worse than PS hybrid both in terms of performance and efficiency. They could've gone for a much simpler solution (scaled up 350h system) and accept a slightly slower acceleration figure but with 10-20% better fuel efficiency. This P2 system seems very poorly optimized. Personally, I don't like the idea of only ~1s faster acceleration but a 10MPG loss.

Maybe it's just me that have gone too obsessed with achievement ratio. But in the new world of electrification, it is arguably the most important performance metric every manufacturer is pursuing.

It is around 2s faster, one of the videos above tested 0-60 at 5.6s vs 7.5s for 350h.

That is a big difference.

But sure, next step is actually 450+ with direct4 and ever slightly bigger battery.

500h is for people who specifically dont like hybrids as they are today. And yes, next step up for 500h could be more power to motors, as you know.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I know this line is blurry, but are we really calling the Model Y an SUV/CUV?

It's a Model 3 with a growth on the greenhouse.

after my neighbor parking it next to my 3 every day, i do think it is a classic CUV. I actually thought differences are smaller before being able to compare it really really.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No one mentioned the X3 during the event. This is X5 competition and what was mentioned. The NX fights the X3.

forum people reviewing spec sheets point it out everywhere. I drove in X3 M 40i for few hrs and I thought it was X1 actually. Space was weird, felt like sitting on poorly made bench, and then car was just not a luxury car at all. So there was my surprise when I went to recheck the badge and saw it was X3 M40i.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
We don't know what conquest targets are. Maybe they won't attract a lot of BBA buyers and certainly zero Tesla buyers. But one thing we know for sure is, Acura and Infiniti are so screwed right now. The MDX and QX60 have no chance against new RX. Lexus can grow just by eating up market share from other Japanese brands.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
It's surprising that Lexus tuned the 2.4T in the 500h different vs the 350. 271hp 339lb-ft in 500h vs 275hp 317lb-ft in 350. Wonder why that is. Also, it's surprising how much torque they can get out of this 2.4T with basically 340lb-ft, those numbers will be healthy in a tacoma/4runner, could possibly get even more than 340lb-ft.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
We don't know what conquest targets are. Maybe they won't attract a lot of BBA buyers and certainly zero Tesla buyers. But one thing we know for sure is, Acura and Infiniti are so screwed right now. The MDX and QX60 have no chance against new RX. Lexus can grow just by eating up market share from other Japanese brands.

Honestly for Lexus in USA, it is maintaining the market share and then winning some with TX.
It is really in rest of the world that they want to grow it, hence all the hybrid options for Europe and Asia.