5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Will1991

Reactions
Here it is, the 1-motor HV transmission found in the RX500h (and new Crown):

image.png

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I thought I saw something that the RX 500h's battery was slightly more powerful, making up for the 27hp difference?

Will1991

Reactions
It was talked about in the Crown thread:

Post in thread 'Next gen Toyota Crown discussion'
https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/next-gen-toyota-crown-discussion.6477/post-75107

They seem to be using the bipolar NiMH battery that was first shown in the JDM Aqua.
Since this new battery type uses stacked layers, a higher battery pack should mean more layers.
Also, the RX battery have 2 cooling fans while the Crown only has 1… Another indication that Lexus is using more powerful batteries.

Will1991

Reactions
RX to get a BEV variant?

image.png

This picture can be seen of Discover Lexus website, on the "Future" tab.

Is this a typo or is a BEV variant coming?

For the NX PHEV they put it on the "Hybrid Electric" section, "Battery Electric" is for the RZ.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
RX to get a BEV variant?

image.png

For the NX PHEV they put it on the "Hybrid Electric" section, "Battery Electric" is for the RZ.
Well that's weird. I always thought the RZ was basically an electric RX. And why make a beverage on an ICE platform.

Will1991

Reactions
The more I look into it, the more I think of the RZ as a “NX coupe”, R from RC and not from RX… Even pricing suggests that.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The more I look into it, the more I think of the RZ as a “NX coupe”, R from RC and not from RX… Even pricing suggests that.
Well RX and RZ both have the same wheelbase and RX us about 3 inches longer. RZ is more mid sized than compact.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
RX to get a BEV variant?

image.png

Given the expected lifespan of the 5RX, I don’t think anyone would be surprised if there were a full EV version somewhere during the latter half of its cycle.

Will1991

Reactions
Well RX and RZ both have the same wheelbase and RX us about 3 inches longer. RZ is more mid sized than compact.

I don’t think it has a longer wheelbase because they wanted to, I think it was a financial decision to share as much as possible with the bz4X.
Also, due to a higher floor because of all those batteries, you need to improve legroom to avoid any big impact on rear seating ergonomics (you have less space to place your feet under the front seat).

Reactions: RAL

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Ok this is like unrelated to the current convo at hand but.
I finally got to drive a Lexus! An Luxury RX 450h. For a first time actually getting to drive em', I'm actually, really friggin impressed! I've heard great things about this generation but being able to feel it myself it was phenomenal beyond belief. Smooth power, and downright perfect cruising suspension and an interior that's freakishly quiet. It's almost all the comfort I felt in the 7 series I managed to sneak a quick drive in, just without the extra chassis dynamics. Though, they didn't make a difference to me out on the road. I thought I really really liked the brand, but this short experience has made it a favorite for sure. Makes me all the more excited for this upcoming RX. More and more vids I see of it has me enamored with the new interior setup and powertrains.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I've been binge watching and reading dozens of reviews on GAC GS8 and its unique 2.0T+P810 THS powertrain. Apparently Toyota engineers were so impressed by the ICE and overall integration, they want something similar. That powertrain would be a much better fit to the RX.

I wish RX350h would get a similar upgrade based on S20+P810. Unfortunately I don't think RX will get another generation or major facelift before Lexus goes full electric.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I've been binge watching and reading dozens of reviews on GAC GS8 and its unique 2.0T+P810 THS powertrain. Apparently Toyota engineers were so impressed by the ICE and overall integration, they want something similar. That powertrain would be a much better fit to the RX.

I wish RX350h would get a similar upgrade based on S20+P810. Unfortunately I don't think RX will get another generation or major facelift before Lexus goes full electric.
My understanding is that the S20 and T24 are very closely related like M20 and A25. Are there confirmed no plans for a T24 and P810 THS powertrain? We've only seen the single motor 6AT version on the RX500h and the Crown, but the T24+P810 seems like a no brainer for Highlander, Grand Highlander, and TX in the 300hp / 32mpg ballpark.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^ Max ICE power allowed by P810 is 140kW (limited by MG1) so it cannot take the T24. An efficiency-tuned S20 with 140kW and 320N.m is the max it can get. Combined with the 57kW battery used by Crown hybrid the total output is 197kW/265hp, exactly the same as the T24A-FTS in Highlander.

Will1991

Reactions
How did they achieve long term reliability with a turbo engine with so many short off-on-off and getting it to maintain temperature high enough to avoid issues with turbo reliability due to lack of oil flow during fast on-high rev moments?

Does it have a bigger battery to allow some more time to the engine to get up to temperature/turbo pressure/oil flow?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
How did they achieve long term reliability with a turbo engine with so many short off-on-off and getting it to maintain temperature high enough to avoid issues with turbo reliability due to lack of oil flow during fast on-high rev moments?

Does it have a bigger battery to allow some more time to the engine to get up to temperature/turbo pressure/oil flow?
Indeed, the THS ECU is programmed to have very gentle rpm ramp up and deliberately long turbo lag to establish oil flow before reaching full boost, which takes over 1s according to reviews. But that's masked by torque-filling from the motors. A nice side effect of this strategy is very smooth acceleration (there is no jerkiness from both the turbo and motor suddenly hitting you with peak torque).

Like any other hybrid engine, its coolant loop deliberately runs at reduced coolant flow and low fan speed to keep the engine warm. Not just for reliability but also necessary for emissions tests.

The battery is actually slightly smaller than the Highlander's battery (222s1p vs. 240s1p).
Whats the hp/tq ratings with this GAC 2L turbo hybrid?
140kW/4500-5000rpm and 320N.m/1500-4000rpm.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
^^ Max ICE power allowed by P810 is 140kW (limited by MG1) so it cannot take the T24. An efficiency-tuned S20 with 140kW and 320N.m is the max it can get. Combined with the 57kW battery used by Crown hybrid the total output is 197kW/265hp, exactly the same as the T24A-FTS in Highlander.
The additional cost of the S20 over the A25 for the small performance and NVH gain probably doesn't make sense for the US market.

As an aside, I have a hard time making a case for the T24 8AT Highlander as it only makes 20 more hp, will probably be only $1000 cheaper, and gets so much worse gas mileage. The NVH and acceleration are better on the T24 when deep in the throttle, but that's it. Not really my concern in a Toyota crossover.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^ It's not a "small" gain in NVH but a very noticeable one according to the reviews. That's why I'm curious about real experiences with the GS8 vs. Highlander.