5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I really do not have a problem with the nose. I have a problem that once again non F looks too pedestrian so you have to go with F-Sport but that is to be given right? What's still not given to us, most likely, are luxury package interior trims (ornament as Lexus calls them) inside F-Sport package. I feel bad for people that can only choose between all black or red on black interior while both choices come only with some aluminum inserts. Really wish Lexus would consider other colors of both seats and ornaments inside F-Sport trim.

EDIT: Lexus Europe has a 3D configurator up. It will not help you much with colors due to poor rendering (copper looks like powder pink) but with interior you can get a accurate glimpse as what to expect.

Last edited:
Reactions
For Q1 2022, 98% of sold Lexus in Western Europe are hybrid...

Once you drive one of the latest generation HSD (Lexus/Toyota) in a day-to-day basis, you will fall in love for it, specially when you're running in BEV mode and you start to want more of it.
But the strangest thing is that you will only notice when you go back into a traffic jam while driving a "normal" ICE car, or when you look at current fuel prices.

Because at the end of the day your daily commute will be so much easier and less stressful in a proper Hybrid/PHEV/BEV.

This being said I do love driving RWD cars with manual gearboxes, but at the weekend or after dinner when I can really enjoy them... Sitting in traffic or running daily errands I prefer to be in a electrified car.
Notice how I didn't mention HEVs in my argument. ;^)

I am fine with hybrids. In fact, I have one too. It's absolutely fantastic. What I was trying to say is that I'm someone who advocates for V8's/V6's/I6's/H6's if they were hybridized too. The V8 and six-cylinder engines are still popular to the buyer base.

Last edited:

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
I really do not have a problem with the nose. I have a problem that once again non F looks too pedestrian so you have to go with F-Sport but that is to be given right? What's still not given to us, most likely, are luxury package interior trims (ornament as Lexus calls them) inside F-Sport package. I feel bad for people that can only choose between all black or red on black interior while both choices come only with some aluminum inserts. Really wish Lexus would consider other colors of both seats and ornaments inside F-Sport trim.

EDIT: Lexus Europe has a 3D configurator up. It will not help you much with colors due to poor rendering (copper looks like powder pink) but with interior you can get a accurate glimpse as what to expect.
Thank you for posting this, that configurator is actually really smooth.

Last edited:

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Last point is engines. I am disappointed that they are basically the exact same as the NX for a larger and more expensive vehicle, outside of the 500h. NX 350 has been called "adequate" in most reviews and while I don't think the RX buyer is one to be stomping on the gas between stoplights, a $65-70k vehicle with the same engine lineup as a $42k one would give me pause. I think the 350 and 350h are probably fine for standard, premium and premium+ grades, but if you start moving up to F SPORT handling and Luxury packages with more weight (more equipment), we are still talking about 4k lbs vehicle with 275 horsepower. Granted, NX is also about 4k lbs now, so I guess performance between them should be quite comparable. The fact that 2.4T RX 350 only picks up 1MPG over the V6 RX 350 (which also weighs more) is a testament to how good the GR V6 really is.

RX 500h is so impressive - I'm glad they did it. I would like to see an RX 500h with the Luxury package as an option too, or maybe an ultra luxury package if Lexus sees fit.
My thoughts exactly Gecko, I feel like 500h aside, the powertrains are a bit underwhelming for the new RX, just NX carryovers. As for the 500h, at least on paper I don't feel it gets anywhere near the precedent that the IS 500 set for the F Sport Performance brand. If we're just considering torque and power, I feel like the 500h should have just been a standard powertrain option, and maybe only been branded as an F Sport Performance model on lets say the NX.
That's another thing, why was the NX not given the 500h powertrain? I feel like it would be completely doable, and to be fair Lexus still has time to make it happen, but it seems to me that it was not done so the RX could at least have one exclusive powertrain.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
My thoughts exactly Gecko, I feel like 500h aside, the powertrains are a bit underwhelming for the new RX, just NX carryovers. As for the 500h, at least on paper I don't feel it gets anywhere near the precedent that the IS 500 set for the F Sport Performance brand. If we're just considering torque and power, I feel like the 500h should have just been a standard powertrain option, and maybe only been branded as an F Sport Performance model on lets say the NX.
That's another thing, why was the NX not given the 500h powertrain? I feel like it would be completely doable, and to be fair Lexus still has time to make it happen, but it seems to me that it was not done so the RX could at least have one exclusive powertrain.

My sentiments exactly. For the amount of performance it gains, it's definitely more than enough for most RX buyers, heck I wouldn't even mind it being 500h without FSP. But if Lexus is dead serious upping their performance game, this isn't going to do it. I expect it to be 5 sec dead as bare minimum to warrant the "FSP" badge. If it's going to end up being on par with GS450h or LS500h acceleration wise, a B58 engine is going to smoke this thing easily, let alone V8 TTs options.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I agree with that. A 300kW RX550h+ would be more appropriate for FSP badge. But availability will be so poor it might as well be vaporware. The supply of PHV battery must be a nightmare for them since it's shared by RAV4/Harrier/NX450h+/RX450h+/UX300e and even some for Suzuki.

I think they figured it's better to launch a readily-available product instead of waiting battery supply to catch up. Today we live in a market with more vaporware than actual products.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
New hybrid Volvo XC90 T8 combined just upgraded from 390 to 455 Hp, 0-100 5,4 sec

Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid combined 460 Hp, 0-100 5 sec

New 2023 RX 500h 367 Hp

Sh-t, never thought I would think about a chinese car (Volvo) as an alternative to Lexus… a german e-hybrid or SE-hybrid, yes maybe…

The RX 450h+ plug-in hybrid, please!?

Nights

Fan
Reactions
I agree with that. A 300kW RX550h+ would be more appropriate for FSP badge. But availability will be so poor it might as well be vaporware. The supply of PHV battery must be a nightmare for them since it's shared by RAV4/Harrier/NX450h+/RX450h+/UX300e and even some for Suzuki.

I think they figured it's better to launch a readily-available product instead of waiting battery supply to catch up. Today we live in a market with more vaporware than actual products.

I agree. It seems many posting here in this thread haven’t tried to purchase any of the newest models recently, particularly the PHEV or even the HEV models. NX450h+ wait times are already 12+ months around most parts of the world and in some cases, the even more popular NX350h models are even longer. There are Lexus buyers in Australia being quoted 18+ month waits for popular 350h specs.

With the likelihood of intermittent ongoing lockdowns in China, it’s not a situation that’s going to improve any time soon. I suspect (hope) they might introduce a RX550h+ down the line once supply stabilises and I don’t expect them to add additional battery cells to the RX450h+ compared with the NX450h+ for the same reason unless there’s some miraculous development with the whole battery and semi conductor situation. They might even add a NX500h FSP as well (again hopefully).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The 500H will be plenty. If FSP is about the experience of driving, with direct four and this new hybrid power plant I’m looking forward to it.

That is my thought as well. I think F SPORT Performance gives Lexus some gray area where the performance expectations can be relative to model/buyer-specific tastes rather than a spec sheet. Lexus has stated they want F to be the all-out performance halo model, which is a far more specific product and unrealistic for a FWD-biased drivetrain.

IS 500 FSP is really quite similar to this RX 500h: It is not the fastest, sportiest or most wild offering in it's class, but it is a halo model for the IS line and gives buyers looking for performance a reason to stay in-house. It is the perfect product for the IS buyer moving up the range just like the RX 500h is in this case.

The RX buyer is probably Lexus' most conservative outside of the LM, so they know 94% will be happy with the 2.4T but wanted to create a "halo RX" for those wanting more, just like the IS 500. The best way to think about this is Lexus wants to give current RX owners who are eyeing an SQ5 or GLE 450 a reason to stick around, and they have probably done that. No doubt this powertrain will also go into ES, TX, GX, 4Runner and Tacoma to share development costs, so it was a no-brainer.

I do agree the 2.4T hybrid should also be in "NX 500h FSP," but if they did that, every engine would be shared between the two models and the RX would have no media-making powertrain at launch. They need that for their most important model. Maybe NX will get it later...

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
THIS.When I first saw RX500H FSP I cringed a bit because RX and performance don't go together. I agree it should've just been RX500H and have the NX500H FSP, which I think we will get eventually.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
We know whats best for you, and you will like what we give you.
-Probably some lexus product planner

Jokes aside, I dont think the majority of the powertrains are lackluster when comparing the RX to the vehicles its going to go after. MDX, QX60, XC90, XT5 are the targets here. And the RX has enough to out power them and/or showcase its efficiency.