5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
There’s no way we don’t see modellista kits and other stuff for this thing.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I'm not feeling the front. More specifically the section where the grille meets the hood. It looks a little odd imo.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Anyone knows when can we expect to see reviewers test drive the new RX?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

dudes in tucked in polos and brown leather sneakers educating us on style and design.

I’m not saying car reviewers need to be icons of taste but at least have some self awareness. When we are in a world of soap bar cars I’ll take designs like this.

This thing looks great. What you could do with it is great too. This is only going to get better from here

mikeavelli

Reactions
Anyone knows when can we expect to see reviewers test drive the new RX?

Like all things today depends on production/supply. Considering the NX was launched this time last year the press drives were in September with embargo lifted october

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
RX 500h is the first Lexus hybrid to have HSD in combination with AUT instead of CVT. While I don't hate CVT, on the contrary I like it, the AUT in the RX may attract new buyers that were detered only by CVT.

I like what the Volvo's look like, but reliability they are terribly bad, at least from internet hearsay. And the Cayenne hybrid is joke, better off with a proper V8 turbo at this point or the coming electric Macan.
Why is the Cayenne hybrid a joke, 6 cyl turbo, even 8 cyl on the SE and turbo, compared with the engine options on the new RX?
Putting my hope to the RX 450h+ but if Lexus dumps the v6 on that... and there is no sure F or F-sport performance, there is no real performance…

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Why is the Cayenne hybrid a joke, 6 cyl turbo, even 8 cyl on the SE and turbo, compared with the engine options on the new RX?
Putting my hope to the RX 450h+ but if Lexus dumps the v6 on that... and there is no sure F or F-sport performance, there is no real performance…
Because it is heavier than ICE and does not have the fuel consumption gains as TMC HEVs have over their ICEVs version.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Because you get 13mi of electric range, no fuel economy gains, no hybrid assist and worse fuel economy with empty battery, and carrying a bunch of dead weight most of the time.

It's just better to get an ICE model of Cayenne. That's why the hybrid is a joke.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Because you get 13mi of electric range, no fuel economy gains, no hybrid assist and worse fuel economy with empty battery, and carrying a bunch of dead weight most of the time.

It's just better to get an ICE model of Cayenne. That's why the hybrid is a joke.
Yet, on the taycanforum (just perusing again, today), I noted people were cross shopping the Audi etron and the Cayenne hybrid. I guess people here are more informed.

Also checked some reviews on the etron S and googled etron forums and lo and behold, lots of electrical problems with the etrons too!

For this reason, I told my wife I may really stick with Toyota, Honda, possible BMW (i3 from 2017 and beyond seem bulletproof) for BEVs. Bumper to bumper warranty is three or four years and with VAG, it seems they haven't really got their game right with the electronics on BEVs. Any money saved on fuel will be paid to the dealership for these costly and incessant repairs. I doubt may independent shops can work on BEV electronics.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions

Ok, hybrids are heavier than ICEs. But you get the extra performance. And the stupid thing is that the malus taxes on ICEs and even normal, for example Lexus hybrids, is a huge incitament to buy a chargeable hybrid as the Cayenne with more combined hp and faster 0-100. People don´t care about the electric range or that there are no real fule economy gain.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Ok, hybrids are heavier than ICEs. But you get the extra performance. And the stupid thing is that the malus taxes on ICEs and even normal, for example Lexus hybrids, is a huge incitament to buy a chargeable hybrid as the Cayenne with more combined hp and faster 0-100. People don´t care about the electric range or that there are no real fule economy gain.
Hybrids from other automakers probably have the same advantages -- regen braking, no alternator, starter, smoother start stop. Brake pad replacement on a Porsche at the dealership will probably cost $2,000 for a pair haha.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I guess people here are more informed.
The scam in Europe again, and why Toyota's honesty is so respectable as opposed to liars, is that most do not know the difference between MHEV, HEV and PHEV. Someone that thinks about hybrid will get sold a PHEV, whitout knowing anything about the tech, other that it can drive a certain distance on electric. European car makers can't make good hybrids, that is why their PHEVs are crap. They tried and failed, but thanks to BEV transition, they can scam some buyers in the meantime due to deceptive marketing.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Hybrids from other automakers probably have the same advantages -- regen braking, no alternator, starter, smoother start stop. Brake pad replacement on a Porsche at the dealership will probably cost $2,000 for a pair haha.
No they don't have the same advantage. In the industry, it is claimed BMW and Porsche make the best automatic gearboxes. The hardware is not that different from other carmakers, the difference is in the programing, and that is something no one can do or catch up to. The same goes for TMC hybrids, no one can do the programing as them, and the same probably applies to Tesla BEVs.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Whatever the argument is, that is not the path TMC is pursuing. If you don't like it buy a Cayenne hybrid, which by the way starts at $87k.

Just because something is politically convenient and is marketable to uninformed people doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Whatever the argument is, that is not the path TMC is pursuing. If you don't like it buy a Cayenne hybrid, which by the way starts at $87k.

Just because something is politically convenient and is marketable to uninformed people doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.
So, the best would be RX 500h f-performance, just pay the malus taxes and be fine with it. 😀

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So, the best would be RX 500h f-performance, just pay the malus taxes and be fine with it. 😀
Are you in France, taking about malus taxes? That is one huge scam. No way around that. Get a BEV or register the car in a foreign country on another name (until same law as Italian comes here).