5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Benito

Fan
Reactions
This new RX looks really well planted from the rear. I think the new spindle body styling of the front end will take some getting used to though. The interior is incredibly well done.

MrT

Reactions
Japanese media reports RDS (rear wheel dynamic steer up to 4 degrees), or it only for JDM?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I'm shocked that they even went to tune the t24 even further, on top of that they got 340lbft out of the t24 which I would never guess they would be able to get that much torque out of it. Imagine what it would be for a truck tune like for a taco/4runner, easily 350lbft but they may not tune it that far.

I wonder why they used a 6AT for the 500H, makes me wonder why not the 8 speed. Well we now know what the TX500H is packing.

Reactions
I am so in-love with the overall shape and design outside and especially on the inside.

I know that this route is going to be a good one for Lexus, I'm just a huge sucker for cars driven by the rear wheels or have an AWD system that has a rear-wheel bias. That's why I'm a huge fan of the GR products, or the BOF products.

Also I'm missing the V6. Seeing Lexus turn into Volvo and become a 4-cylinder company is honestly depressing.

While manufacturers are moving away from bigger engines (even turbocharged ones), there are some that are sticking to it because that's what customers want. I believe Lexus should've stuck to it but they could have developed a brand-new single-turbo ~3.0L V6 that could have gone in every single vehicle bar the UX. Use the 4.0L twin-turbocharged V8 in all of the flagship products and some F cars. There is still plenty of room for efficiency that Lexus has not explored yet. While the power is excellent, the feel of a V6/I6 or a V8 is desired by customers.

And the reason why I am a huge stickler for this, is that I do not believe for a second that Lexus will go all electric by 2030 or 2035. No way. I could see a time say, 15 years from now where 20-25% of their sales are HEVs or BEVs.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I am so in-love with the overall shape and design outside and especially on the inside.

I know that this route is going to be a good one for Lexus, I'm just a huge sucker for cars driven by the rear wheels or have an AWD system that has a rear-wheel bias. That's why I'm a huge fan of the GR products, or the BOF products.

Also I'm missing the V6. Seeing Lexus turn into Volvo and become a 4-cylinder company is honestly depressing.

While manufacturers are moving away from bigger engines (even turbocharged ones), there are some that are sticking to it because that's what customers want. I believe Lexus should've stuck to it but they could have developed a brand-new single-turbo ~3.0L V6 that could have gone in every single vehicle bar the UX. Use the 4.0L twin-turbocharged V8 in all of the flagship products and some F cars. There is still plenty of room for efficiency that Lexus has not explored yet. While the power is excellent, the feel of a V6/I6 or a V8 is desired by customers.

And the reason why I am a huge stickler for this, is that I do not believe for a second that Lexus will go all electric by 2030 or 2035. No way. I could see a time say, 15 years from now where 20-25% of their sales are HEVs or BEVs.
true. along with the 2.4L we could've gotten something like a 2.7 v6 turbo for their bigger vehicles, but with emissions why not just add an electric motor to get that same power but with better mpgs. Lexus wouldn't be doing this w/o emission requirements.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
265 width tires, blacked out chrome, black/grey exterior, red/pearl interior, light tint film on the headlights and give the keys to the wife. I'm no fan of SUV but I wont buy a car I cannot drive every once in a while for the wife.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I know the front is odd but I remember the same memes when the IS F debuted. What is pathetic is people completely ignoring the specs on the 500h.

Instead of people applauding the RX ditching boring i’m seeing just a meme about the front.

lol

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wonder why they used a 6AT for the 500H, makes me wonder why not the 8 speed. Well we now know what the TX500H is packing.
It doesn't need a starting gear because it starts in EV mode. ICEVs need it to prevent ICE from stalling on hill starts.
High torque electrified hybrids also need fewer drive gears than ICEVs. Usually when the driver requests more wheel torque the transmission downshifts to increase multiplication, but in a hybrid it can stay in gear and use the motor for torque filling.

Most importantly because of the extra length of MG1 the transmission needs to be shorter in order to fit transversely.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
I know the front is odd but I remember the same memes when the IS F debuted. What is pathetic is people completely ignoring the specs on the 500h.

Instead of people applauding the RX ditching boring i’m seeing just a meme about the front.

lol
People like to always nitpick at the tiny things... The car has some pretty nice stats, a nice interior, and a nice change I think everyone will start to like more once some more time passes.

mikeavelli

Reactions
People like to always nitpick at the tiny things... The car has some pretty nice stats, a nice interior, and a nice change I think everyone will start to like more once some more time passes.

I’m just saying like I get it but people don’t read. The RX specs and updates are pretty good. Way better than any all new RX in the last.

Alas we will order black or a dark grey 🤣

Will1991

Reactions

For Q1 2022, 98% of sold Lexus in Western Europe are hybrid...

Once you drive one of the latest generation HSD (Lexus/Toyota) in a day-to-day basis, you will fall in love for it, specially when you're running in BEV mode and you start to want more of it.
But the strangest thing is that you will only notice when you go back into a traffic jam while driving a "normal" ICE car, or when you look at current fuel prices.

Because at the end of the day your daily commute will be so much easier and less stressful in a proper Hybrid/PHEV/BEV.

This being said I do love driving RWD cars with manual gearboxes, but at the weekend or after dinner when I can really enjoy them... Sitting in traffic or running daily errands I prefer to be in a electrified car.

Nights

Fan
Reactions

Lexus’s 2021 worldwide sales were already 35% HEV…

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Even BMW is keeping their V8 with their 7 series, with PHEV options to meet emission regulations. I don't expect the same for the RX except, provided acceleration and power figures just don't seem to match quite right especially the FSP configuration, according to press releases. 0-100 in 6 sec is certainly plenty fast for an RX yea sure, but I wouldn't also want it to the "FSP" that Lexus envisioned it to be. Unless they are being conservative with that number, I guess we will see how things go as it gets closer to media drives.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
If I may ...

New RX doesn't deviate from the formula of the most important Lexus model for the most important Lexus market. So in that sense it's another homerun that will sell as much if not surpass the predecessor. RX is really a unique Lexus in the way it's being engineered and designed, it's a tweaner between blatant Toyota derivatives such as ES, NX, GX and dedicated RW Lexus such as LS, LC and other now defunct RWD products. It's so heavily modified to call it a rebadge like you could call NX. Anyway this one is going to be another fan favorite in US no doubt.

But since this is enthusiast forum where wishes and expectations are set real high so a lot of what ifs are being discussed I would like to comment on RX500h F-SPORT Performance. I applaud Toyota for finally redesigning the hybrid drivetrain pretty much from ground up. I applaud Toyota for finally getting their butts back into hybrid performance game after they abandoned it when 3GS 450h ran it's course. I boo Toyota for sitting on their butts since 2005 with the same ol' FWD hybrid drivetrain and not doing whole a lot with it for over 15 years except allowing competition to catch up in electrification game. I feel the drivetrain in RX500h is something that should have happened in current model so the upcoming could become 500h+ PHEV. Upcoming RX500h is going to be an expensive trim, don't know how it's going to stack up against 450h+ PHEV but I could guess that PHEV will be gimped in all around performance on purpose. I am not talking about straight line acceleration but if we do talk about it then NX450h+ apparently accelerates as hard as RX500h. At least 0-60. Same goes for Mazda CX-70 and probably will do for CX-90 as well, these PHEV drivetrains accelerate 0-60 in 6 seconds and yet offer EV autonomy. Direct4 will be the saving grace for RX500h I can tell you that. Right after I drove RLX SH-AWD SportHybird Blah Blah Blah (what a stupid naming scheme) I knew that will be the future for hybrid game and while the car was Honda boring plush it did push hard and somehow drove better than GS450h when pushed to the limits. Stupid Honda has abandoned the concept of course thinking gas only Type-S will somehow be able to replace it. Anyway I'm glad RX500h is here but by this time it should have been high performance PHEV compared to regular Joe 450h+ PHEV.

On a side not I finally had a chance to play with NX and it's nothing to write home about. Miles better than first gen but that's not saying much. You can still taste and smell Toyota in it and that's not my cup of tea. If I was in the market for a medium CUV I would skip NX and upgrade to RX right away no matter the price difference.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions

lol
I think people underestimate the design skills of Lexus. Their cars always look mediocre in photos but look amazing when seen in person and give you a feeling it looks better and better every time; even years later, when you look back, it still stands the test of time.