5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The RX500h is terrifyingly fast for 90% of RX buyers I guess. Any faster and they will be too afraid to buy one.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
People critizing the RXs performance arent living in reality.

I have rarely seen an AMG SUV that wasnt some doddling old wealth hoarder going 10 under.

Its more than enough for 99% of purchasers.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
That's the point. Fast enough for RX buyers, but not enough for it to warrant an FSP badge.
Competitors' base model outperformed the "performance" version of yours.
TO BE FAIR, the what exactly warrants an FSP badge? The IS500 has shown that it's too soft to be a true F product hence it's FSP, what makes the RX500h FSP any different?

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
TO BE FAIR, the what exactly warrants an FSP badge? The IS500 has shown that it's too soft to be a true F product hence it's FSP, what makes the RX500h FSP any different?

IS500 was much closer to m340i in all performance metrics, despite its outdated tech and interior.
RX500h FSP was in no way, shape or form, came close to competitors' base model, let alone their performance versions.

RX500h >> L4 + hybrid, 0-60 in 5.9
IS500 >> V8, 0-60 in 4.4

Can you make sense of both belonging to the same "FSP tier"? Clearly I can't 😁.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

It’s not the sportiest of things - even the faster RX500h is more an athletic take on the RX formula than a genuinely fast vehicle - but the RX is calm, serene, efficient and priced well in context of the rest of the segment. If cruising is a priority then the RX is worth a look.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Here's a random and totally unnecessary thing:

1685384371118.png
1685384785130.png

The RX500H FSP has a faster 0-60 time than 31% of Ferraris released to date.
It's 0-60 performance puts you around Ferrari in the 1980s.
The IS500 FSP is faster than 50% of all ferrari models, and gives you comparable acceleration to a later 90's, early 2000's Ferrari.

No, they're not straight line rockets. You're talking about the RX here.

The 500FSP, if all it cared about was becoming some rocket, wouldn't have had the V8 and a basic interior so people who want to modify it won't be paying out the nose for OEM equipment they're going to toss or liquidate.

It would've been some massively expensive thing that only a handful of people would appreciate or dish out for.

What's the 0-60 of a car sitting in a lot?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
IS500 was much closer to m340i in all performance metrics, despite its outdated tech and interior.
RX500h FSP was in no way, shape or form, came close to competitors' base model, let alone their performance versions.

RX500h >> L4 + hybrid, 0-60 in 5.9
IS500 >> V8, 0-60 in 4.4

Can you make sense of both belonging to the same "FSP tier"? Clearly I can't 😁.
Lol you have missed the point of what the RX is. That is why you are making this argument. If Lexus wanted the RX to compete with the cars you have mentioned the base version will not be FWD. The RX and the ES has a secret that other car manufacturers are yet to have figured out it's why they are always best selling in their category most of the time. That secret is that they exist in within a category but don't directly compete, they are in their own special category. Expecting the same level of performance in the RX500 and the IS500 makes zero sense. The FSP badge is for increased performance when compared to regular F sport but not to F level of performance. Does the RX500 achieve that goal yes.

If you were making this argument for the LS or IS then you will have a point. For the ES and RX those are two vehicles just doing their own thing within the midsized luxury space.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The RX and the ES has a secret that other car manufacturers are yet to have figured out it's why they are always best selling in their category most of the time. That secret is that they exist in within a category but don't directly compete, they are in their own special category.
Right. The RX invented its category and has done quite well with it for 25 years now. It's not a street racer, and it arguably shouldn't be.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Wishing future Lexus vehicles will handle more dynamically. Would moving to RWD-bias help significantly or is it just the way suspension tuning is done over at Lexus that keeps it comfy but not as engaging?

Tested: 2023 Lexus RX500h F Sport Performance Is Speedy, Not Sporty
The fifth-generation RX gets the F Sport Performance treatment, but its dynamic performance is largely one-dimensional.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Wishing future Lexus vehicles will handle more dynamically. Would moving to RWD-bias help significantly or is it just the way suspension tuning is done over at Lexus that keeps it comfy but not as engaging?

Tested: 2023 Lexus RX500h F Sport Performance Is Speedy, Not Sporty
The fifth-generation RX gets the F Sport Performance treatment, but its dynamic performance is largely one-dimensional.

Just get the base model, since that's what most buyers are interested in. RX (in traditional sense) is all about stress-free driving, low-running costs, and relatively good ride comfort. For its asking price (FSP), I'd rather get rear-biased German trio. Don't get me wrong - it's still a very decent car if you can look past the fact that it's at "FSP tier", but with that price to performance - it's certainly a no go.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Just get the base model, since that's what most buyers are interested in. RX (in traditional sense) is all about stress-free driving, low-running costs, and relatively good ride comfort. For its asking price (FSP), I'd rather get rear-biased German trio. Don't get me wrong - it's still a very decent car if you can look past the fact that it's at "FSP tier", but with that price to performance - it's certainly a no go.
What is FSP?

My wife wants a SUV/CUV eventually and I'd like for it to be a BEV though I do read with interest all these tests on Lexus vehicles to keep informed of any improvements in handling dynamics. I guess 4DIRECT is a step in the right direction but still leaves me wanting more.

The below article talks about traction control improvements over the years, it doesn't even talk about torque vectoring, which is at least one level up.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
What is FSP?

My wife wants a SUV/CUV eventually and I'd like for it to be a BEV though I do read with interest all these tests on Lexus vehicles to keep informed of any improvements in handling dynamics. I guess 4DIRECT is a step in the right direction but still leaves me wanting more.

The below article talks about traction control improvements over the years, it doesn't even talk about torque vectoring, which is at least one level up.

F Sport Performance.

There's only so much you can do to improve handling with software (Direct4). That's why most competitors are using rear-drive platform (for ICE at least). Less understeer, grips better, better weight distribution.
For BEV, perhaps wait for Macan EV?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
F Sport Performance.

There's only so much you can do to improve handling with software (Direct4). That's why most competitors are using rear-drive platform (for ICE at least). Less understeer, grips better, better weight distribution.
For BEV, perhaps wait for Macan EV?
With all the issues with the Taycan, a hard pass on VAG BEVs lol. Not worth the entry price and experience haha.

Maybe once all those software issues are resolved down the road, then the Macan EV comes back to my blank shortlist.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions

First Place: Lexus RX500h F Sport Performance

Pros
  • Quick, refined powertrain
  • Settled ride
  • Superb fuel economy
Cons
  • Bland steering feel
  • No third row
  • Noisy tires
Second Place: Acura MDX Type S

Pros
  • Well-equipped cabin
  • Great safety technologies
  • Fits up to seven passengers
Cons
  • Unrefined ride
  • Needs more Type S punch
  • Hard-to-use tech

Reactions
not to beat a dead horse, but 6.2 and 5.9 for 0-60 at >$70k is an interesting sell. It's still new, but I wonder how this will hold up as the market normalizes. I don't think I've ever even seen a Type S out anywhere. Like many have said, most Lexus buyers won't even need the speed, so who is this for?