5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Reactions

First Place: Lexus RX500h F Sport Performance

Pros
  • Quick, refined powertrain
  • Settled ride
  • Superb fuel economy
Cons
  • Bland steering feel
  • No third row
  • Noisy tires
Second Place: Acura MDX Type S

Pros
  • Well-equipped cabin
  • Great safety technologies
  • Fits up to seven passengers
Cons
  • Unrefined ride
  • Needs more Type S punch
  • Hard-to-use tech

Holy hell. Color me shocked. Still doesn't change the fact that it needs a great six-cylinder engine.

I can imagine a person with the name sounding similar to Bike Morsythe being very happy right now.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
so who is this for?
I've talked to a few managers in my area and the answer is not what you and I would expect: most people who ordered the RX500h FSP are previous F car owners (IS-F, GS-F, RC-F). At some point in life, people just have different priorities and owning a sports sedan/coupe isn't the right life choice any more. In an ideal world we would own different cars for different purposes (for example I want a 4 car fleet of Mazda MX-5, GX550, GS-F and NX450h+) but that's just not possible. The RX500h FSP is a consolation prize for the sacrifices you have to make.

It's sad, but I saw a person trade in his A91 Supra for the GX460 because he recently got two children. I'm sure he would be more than happy enough with a TX500h instead.

This is hard to believe but Lexus has the data and created the right product that we love to hate. The RX500h FSP will outsell all F and FSP products combined.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This is hard to believe but Lexus has the data and created the right product that we love to hate. The RX500h FSP will outsell all F and FSP products combined.
I believe it, but car forums and reviews are a magical wonderland where CUV buyers want to go 150 MPH with their kids in the car. The RX defines the segment and Lexus always executes well on it.

Reactions

First Place: Lexus RX500h F Sport Performance

Pros
  • Quick, refined powertrain
  • Settled ride
  • Superb fuel economy
Cons
  • Bland steering feel
  • No third row
  • Noisy tires
Second Place: Acura MDX Type S

Pros
  • Well-equipped cabin
  • Great safety technologies
  • Fits up to seven passengers
Cons
  • Unrefined ride
  • Needs more Type S punch
  • Hard-to-use tech

Forgot to mention MDX has superior body structure for safety. 5RX is pretty good but compared to the MDX- it comes up short. The TNGA platform needs a bit of re-work to match its higher performing peers. Particularly in side safety and interior padding resulting in elevated pelvis readings if most if not all of the tnga family. Also: My guess it like rest of tnga has subpar rear restraints too (to be seen)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Holy hell. Color me shocked. Still doesn't change the fact that it needs a great six-cylinder engine.

I can imagine a person with the name sounding similar to Bike Morsythe being very happy right now.

I’m not surprised. I’ve driven the mdx type slow and it’s impressive if you owned hondas but that’s about it. Looks good I give it that.

I’ve been preaching for almost a year the RX 500h is a revelation and like the old GS F sport with handling and playfulness. Glad to see MT agrees.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Forgot to mention MDX has superior body structure for safety. 5RX is pretty good but compared to the MDX- it comes up short. The TNGA platform needs a bit of re-work to match its higher performing peers. Particularly in side safety and interior padding resulting in elevated pelvis readings if most if not all of the tnga family. Also: My guess it like rest of tnga has subpar rear restraints too (to be seen)
If you are looking at Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) side-impact crash tests of the 2023 Lexus RX and the 2023 Acura MDX, yes the RX has a Marginal (M) rating for driver pelvis, whereas the MDX has a better Good (G) rating for driver pelvis/leg.

But, in fact, the tests are different. The RX was tested using the updated side-impact crash methodology, whereas the MDX was tested using the original side-impact crash methodology.

The difference is that the updated methodology uses a 4,200-pound barrier hitting the driver side of the vehicle at 31 mph, whereas the original methodology used a 3,300-pound barrier hitting the driver side of the vehicle at 37 mph. The new test uses a heavier barrier at a higher impact speed, imparting 82 percent more energy than the original test, so it is not surprising that there is a greater severity of injury.

2023 Lexus RX side-impact test:

2022/2023 Acura MDX side-impact test:

About the test methodologies:

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions

mikeavelli

Reactions
NX 450n+ could be had as an F Sport Handling. Not the RX. I wish it was.

RX base starts at 50k. RXh premium 55k. Loaded it’s about 64k. This 450h+ comes pretty loaded at 71k. Same price as a loaded 500h. Loaded RZ is right at 70k.

I am not sure if it will it be eligible for any tax credits. So I assume you math the EV usage vs hybrid only usage. Or you just want the ability to use EV mode only in your short trips

I think for someone like me it would work since ai drive like than the 35 miles or so most days. You just have to ensure you charge it every night.

Great option IMO for someone who doesn’t want a full EV. we all know prices are rising and 70k is the new 60k….

Reactions
NX 450n+ could be had as an F Sport Handling. Not the RX. I wish it was.

RX base starts at 50k. RXh premium 55k. Loaded it’s about 64k. This 450h+ comes pretty loaded at 71k. Same price as a loaded 500h. Loaded RZ is right at 70k.

I am not sure if it will it be eligible for any tax credits. So I assume you math the EV usage vs hybrid only usage. Or you just want the ability to use EV mode only in your short trips

I think for someone like me it would work since ai drive like than the 35 miles or so most days. You just have to ensure you charge it every night.

Great option IMO for someone who doesn’t want a full EV. we all know prices are rising and 70k is the new 60k….

BMW is looking more like a value here......

mikeavelli

Reactions
BMW is looking more like a value here......

After renting a brand new one for almost a week it was well out together but didn’t drive any sportier than the new one. Felt more cramped and i drive was bad again. Loved the clamshell rear door and usc c ports in the rear seats.