5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah, I do think gear ratios and ECU tuning have a lot to do with it.

And if no cops are reading this, I can now confirm that the LS500 is a lot of fun (and the chassis is even more sorted than the 3rd and 4th generations) at 3-digit MPH ;-)

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
Yeah, I do think gear ratios and ECU tuning have a lot to do with it.

And if no cops are reading this, I can now confirm that the LS500 is a lot of fun (and the chassis is even more sorted than the 3rd and 4th generations) at 3-digit MPH ;-)
Gotcha Ian. I'll be looking out for a speedy LS500 in your area. ;)

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I did some research this weekend and from what I read and looked at the 1UZ-FSE was a good motor but it was extremely sluggish and weak in the lower power band so it basically couldn't get out it own way.. The power band with the new TTV6 is much higher and it comes in at a low 1600 and goes all the way to 6000. It's a way better motor than the old 4LS...

R,

Markus

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Berto: and the claim is that those numbers are false, even though it matches what my butt feels every day. I'd love to see someone arrange a 3rd party dyno run with a 460 and a 500.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Ian!! Autoweek already tested 0-60 in 4.6 seconds so it all holds up. The 460 would not be able to run with the 500 and yes sir.. I would like to see that dyno also. the TTV6 is far superior that the old 4.6 on every level and the v8 would have been a horrible choice. I did some research this weekend and the new v6 destroys the v8...

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Need to mention @Ian Schmidt that the Benz 4.0 TTV8 only has 463 at 516 torque the TTV6 is Just short on both but close so... cough cough. I think it could with it.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Autoweek was just regurgitating manufactuer-claimed numbers. Scroll to the bottom of that article.

I have yet to see a media outlet, a legitimate one, reach the Lexus-claimed times for the LS or LC.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I did some research this weekend and from what I read and looked at the 1UZ-FSE was a good motor but it was extremely sluggish and weak in the lower power band so it basically couldn't get out it own way.. The power band with the new TTV6 is much higher and it comes in at a low 1600 and goes all the way to 6000. It's a way better motor than the old 4LS...

The UZ V8 was much older, spanning the LS 400 and LS430. Are you sure you are looking at the right info? The 4.3L V8 is a great engine and very quick on its feet, even to this day. I would never say it "couldn't get out of it's own way."

Autoweek was just regurgitating manufactuer-claimed numbers. Scroll to the bottom of that article.

I have yet to see a media outlet, a legitimate one, reach the Lexus-claimed times for the LS or LC.

^Bingo. I have yet to see a number better than 5.3 seconds 0-60 for the LS500 - the Autoweek article was just restating the inaccurate Lexus-provided numbers.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Was the 3UZ-FE underrated because of the Gentlemen's agreement? It was advertised as a 280hp engine but I think in USA they claimed 290hp. Anyway cars equipped with the 3UZ seem faster than what you would expect from the power-to-weight ratio. The GS460 got 50hp more compared to the GS430 but did not get much quicker in a straight line.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Morning @Ian Schmidt since you have the new TTV6 and you have had the old 4LS please give us your assessment. you think that old motor is better than the V35A-FTS? :0)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Morning @Ian Schmidt since you have the new TTV6 and you have had the old 4LS please give us your assessment. you think that old motor is better than the V35A-FTS? :0)

The problem is you're asking about the motor that powered the 1LS, 2LS and 3LS but referring to the 4LS, so are you asking about the UZ V8, as mentioned above, (LS 400, LS 430) or the UR V8 (LS 460)?

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
What we need to do here to be fair.. is to compare the LS460 motor to that of the LS500 motor. I'm not interested in anything else but the last motor in the LS460 and the new one in the 5LS.

R,

Markus

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
HAHA lets have the debate.. I honestly don't think we can compare what I would us to compare because I drove the new TTV6 and it blew me away. The technology alone in this new motor by far surpassed the 460.. 4.6. The problem with that motor from what I read is that it was very sluggish and you really didn't start seeing the torque come in until later on the power band. With the new LS500 it comes in quick and hard and carrys out to the redline...… I took a FSPORT out and I was on rt 50 in Maryland like going to the beach and I put it in sport + and I gunned it and it took off.... 0 turbo lag and its just flat quick.... long stroke v6 and I think it is at 100mm... I think the new motor and power train destroys the old model or models altogether.

R,

Markus

lets debate it

Levi

Expert
Reactions
@Berto3818

Did you drive any of the rivals with turbo 6, especially the smooth I6? There is a lot of wrong with with the later car, but the usual arguments aside, it is a very good if not the best powertrain.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Was the 3UZ-FE underrated because of the Gentlemen's agreement? It was advertised as a 280hp engine but I think in USA they claimed 290hp. Anyway cars equipped with the 3UZ seem faster than what you would expect from the power-to-weight ratio. The GS460 got 50hp more compared to the GS430 but did not get much quicker in a straight line.

I thought at the time of the switchover that the LS430 was faster than the LS460, even though that shouldn't be the case. It's one of the reasons the 3LS is still the best plushmobile anyone's ever sold.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
No Sir. if I do which ones. I'm focused on the 5LS which is what I will be ordering at the end of the year.