5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My preference for the V8 has a lot more to do with NVH and refinement than raw power :)

Levi

Expert
Reactions
My preference for the V8 has a lot more to do with NVH and refinement than raw power :)

In that case an I6 would be even better. Both BMW and Mercedes have that now. It would also have been cheaper for Lexus to make an I6 instead of a new V6.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
The New TTV6 is no joke. it has a lot of power and 0 turbo lag..... I'm trying to tell you guys lol its a very good motor...

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Yes Sir!!! and it is one hell of a motor!! please go drive it and it will change your mind. it has no turbo lag and the power band goes all the way from 1600-6000.. I'm telling you the TTV6 is a beast!!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Yes Sir!!! and it is one hell of a motor!! please go drive it and it will change your mind. it has no turbo lag and the power band goes all the way from 1600-6000.. I'm telling you the TTV6 is a beast!!

Interesting. I have about an hour of seat time in the car and feel very differently. Glad you had a great experience though :)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I just got out of mine again and I still think it's both a superb motor for US traffic and an upgrade over the 4.6.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Thanks Gecko!! it destorys the 4.6.... V8 and i also feel it would destroy the 5.0.. i just have a feeling sir.. major upgrade over the 4.6

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I see the issue of Lexus being inconsistent. But I think a power-to-weight ratio of 5 PS/kg is fairly enough, and by no means slow.

I am not talking about slow
I am talking about " look I have a full size flagship "
This flashy promotion that the German always succeeded in making it
Business case: the LS 500 will sell even more if there's LS 560 with the LC's V8

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I agree but they would have to detune they 5.0 however to make it more quiet because as soon it stands now it would ruin the cabin. I have no issues with that TTV6. It has V8 level power and tons of torque.

R,

Markus

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Berto3818
The Engine is amazing and can be quite, I drove the LC in comfort mode and I already have GS-F with the same engine
+
Even if the V6 LS 500 accounted for 90%+ from LS sales the V8 LS will be the looker

You can see and find that all the 3 German flagships have even 4 cylinder engines but there's also 8 and in the near past even 12

Whatever the percentage of the 8 & 12 to the whole S / 7 / A8 sales, they keep it as a prestige

We can say Lexus maybe destroying the LS presence with this move if they didn't give it a V8 soon

take a look at the previous generation GS sales look with the assist of the GS460 and then take a look at the first years of the current generation GS before the GS-F appears

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Whereas every past and present generation A8/7/S has a 12 cylinder, the LS never had, not did the Quattroporte, not the later generation XJ. So even then they were one below.

I understand that all this prestige staff is a waste of resources. And flagship V12 and such is now of the past, BEVs are the new flagships.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Keep in mind that the previous LS had a hybrid V8 which is marked as 12 alternative and a regular 8
So I can say, they was in the same place as the Germans which unfortunately not the case any more
No more 8 cylinder
No more Hybrid 8

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Keep in mind that the previous LS had a hybrid V8 which is marked as 12 alternative and a regular 8
So I can say, they was in the same place as the Germans which unfortunately not the case any more
No more 8 cylinder
No more Hybrid 8

Hybrid 8 would be more interesting, because after all Lexus is first and foremost a hybrid car brand in Europe, and Porsche's flagship Panamera is now a hybrid. A shame for Lexus to be 'beaten' at their own game.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yup good point match what I am talking about, LS must have a V8 variety, let it be NA or turbo or charger or TT or hybrid whatever the firm but the LS will not be taken as serious German competitor with out one

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Morning Sir,

Alright the question is simple then.. Why did they just put the 5.0 in there then? instead of the TTV6. The 4.6 was horrible. The 3.5TTV6 is better than that V8 would ever be and i have a friend who has IS F and his 5.0 only has 416 HP... I think we are really underestimating the power that this engine packs... Good debate but maybe they will drop a 8 in their. Now when the LS F comes out it will have the new TTV8 which will probably replace the 8 you are talking about.. Maybe they are updating it.. who knows but I do know a TTV8 is coming.

R,

Markus

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The 4.6 was horrible.

It was no worse, if not better, than BMW N62 and Mercedes M273 at that time, yet nobody complained about those. People have just gotten spoiled by turbocharged gasoline engines. Where were they when TMC was building 3S-GTE and 7M-GTE, and later the 2JZ-GTE? TMC needed to build a 1UZ-GTE and a 1GZ-GTE. But I am sure TMG built those.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
This is lexus's first ever twin turbo though... and they did a very good job with this motor. I don't see another V6 even coming close and this can run with the 8's I'm just sorry to say the days of big v8s are just gone... you got to get used to it.

R,

Markus