4th Generation Toyota Century Thread [Officially Revealed]

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Very beautiful minimalist yet luxurious interior door panels.

First time is see opaque side windows.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The hammered door scuff plates require 7000 strikes each to finish. That's 28000 strikes per car and probably takes a full day of work per plate. Considering the salary these people are earning a $5000 charge sounds like a bargain.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The hammered door scuff plates require 7000 strikes each to finish. That's 28000 strikes per car and probably takes a full day of work per plate. Considering the salary these people are earning a $5000 charge sounds like a bargain.
This is what i am saying.
Some of this stuff is genuine art.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
if they offered the same level of luxury and more bespoke program for existing land cruiser LC300 or LX 600 with upgraded engines over what is currently offered, that for many people around the world outside of Japan, will be viewed as more of a status symbol flagship than the Century SUV.

Just imagine a body on frame ''century'd out'' LX / LC300. That thing would be beautiful. Think of it like the SV Range Rover offerings..

I know they make the VIP LX but let's be real, that leaves a lot to be desired on the inside and outside. They could do much better.

Last edited:

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
upgraded engines over what is currently offered
V35A hybrid is on the way. There's also the electrified TTV8 in the LFR but I'm not sure if it'll be shared with other models.

IMO the LX is a refresh (esp interior) away from absolute flagship level.
will be viewed as more of a status symbol flagship than the Century SUV
I disagree. They are completely different beasts. The design of the Century alone puts it in a different bracket, let alone the craftsmanship that went into it. The only thing that holds it back is the platform its built on. Lexus should've brought the LF-1 Limitless to market. It would've allowed them to move upmarket in terms of luxury and performance to better compete with the likes of the Bentayga, Cayenne, Range Rover, etc... The LF-1 would've complemented the LX as the unibody & body on frame SUV flagships. It actually would've brought in new customers as the LX will always have its customers. I know it would've been an absolute hit in the GCC for people that didn't need the offroad capability of the LX.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
V35A hybrid is on the way. There's also the electrified TTV8 in the LFR but I'm not sure if it'll be shared with other models.

IMO the LX is a refresh (esp interior) away from absolute flagship level.

I disagree. They are completely different beasts. The design of the Century alone puts it in a different bracket, let alone the craftsmanship that went into it. The only thing that holds it back is the platform its built on. Lexus should've brought the LF-1 Limitless to market. It would've allowed them to move upmarket in terms of luxury and performance to better compete with the likes of the Bentayga, Cayenne, Range Rover, etc... The LF-1 would've complemented the LX as the unibody & body on frame SUV flagships. It actually would've brought in new customers as the LX will always have its customers. I know it would've been an absolute hit in the GCC for people that didn't need the offroad capability of the LX.
They are different but only one of them is truly a beast.

LF-1...enough said. Now that I can get behind. I didn't mention it because I figured that was history.

It's a shame that isn't happening but maybe something else might evolve in that direction?..

It is just a shame that so many things seem one facelift away from this or that.
Would have been nice to have it dialed in as close to absolute flagship level from day 1.

To me personally, the platform of the century suv is enough to turn me away from it regardless of the level of external craftsmanship. Especially for the pricepoint.

I just wish we could get a bespoke order only LX that is of a higher caliber than what we get now with the same attention to detail as that Century.

Anyone remember the L select program?

Last edited:

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
It's a shame that isn't happening but maybe something else might evolve in that direction?..
Perhaps they could revive the LF-1 on the revised TNGA-L platform but that remains to be seen. What we do know is that Lexus is building a flagship BEV on the new platform in 2026.
It is just a shame that so many things seem one facelift away from this or that.
Would have been nice to have it dialed in as close to absolute flagship level from day 1.
I couldnā€™t agree more. I hate playing the waiting game waiting for them to fix what shouldnā€™t have been a problem in the first place. Something like the LX shouldā€™ve had the hybrid powertrain + some features and an interior that doesnā€™t look like an afterthought at launch.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The VIP LX you are talking about needs at least 20 cm wheelbase stretch to match the cabin space of the Century SUV, which is not that spacious either. At that point you just get a Sequoia. Lexus has always been caught in this dilemma that to have enough space the LX should better be based on Sequoia, but it doesn't have the ultimate QDR and offroad capability that LX customers demand.

BOF platforms are just not ideal for chauffeured limousine applications. The Americans just brute forced the problem by making their flagship SUVs impractically big. Over 3.3m in wheelbase and 5.5m in overall length is not only unusable off road but also extremely hard to maneuver on road.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
The VIP LX you are talking about needs at least 20 cm wheelbase stretch to match the cabin space of the Century SUV, which is not that spacious either. At that point you just get a Sequoia. Lexus has always been caught in this dilemma that to have enough space the LX should better be based on Sequoia, but it doesn't have the ultimate QDR and offroad capability that LX customers demand.

BOF platforms are just not ideal for chauffeured limousine applications. The Americans just brute forced the problem by making their flagship SUVs impractically big. Over 3.3m in wheelbase and 5.5m in overall length is not only unusable off road but also extremely hard to maneuver on road.
I wasn't talking limousine application. In fact my main issue with the VIP LX is I feel it's a wasted opportunity as they only focused on the rear.
Most people who buy the LX do not used it to be chauffeured around ( I am referring here to the Middle East - which is the LX biggest market ).
That might be different in some countries in Africa/Asia but that is not an issue because Lexus has already provided a version focused on rear luxury for them, so how about focusing on the front now?
Not necessarily sports luxury, but tier 1 flagship levels of craftsmanship, something that is befitting of a flagship Lexus.

Maybe my wording wasn't good, when I said century like LC300/LX600 I didn't mean in the aspect of rear luxury, more in the aspect of just over all craftsmanship. People would pay for an expensive LX, it just has to be worth it.

We may be a facelift away from that and I don't want to go off topic here since this is about the Century, but we all know Toyota/Lexus can come out with excellent products that hit the mark on so many different levels so it is frustrating when that isn't the case sometimes.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Young people couldn't afford a Century. The few that can buy Teslas Rivians and Lucids.

Reactions
Young people couldn't afford a Century. The few that can buy Teslas Rivians and Lucids.

Teslas? Sure.

Rivians and Lucids? Hell no. Young people nowadays like to buy fun stuff from established brands. Everyone who buys a Rivian or a Lucid are well into their adulthood.