4th Generation Toyota Century Thread [Officially Revealed]

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Toyota Says The New Century Is Not An SUV​

The automaker describes the vehicle as a “new concept for chauffeur-driven mobility."​

“We arrived at this profile by focusing on the backseat passenger, pursuing a car that inherits the unique Century character while catering to the diversifying values of the times. From that perspective too, we never set out to build an SUV. I would describe this car as a “new concept for chauffeur-driven mobility,” Tanaka explains.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is indeed not a SUV since it has a three-box structure. The passenger and cargo compartments are divided. So it is a sedan with a high cargo ceiling. This is also why they get neither good passenger space nor good cargo space...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It is indeed not a SUV since it has a three-box structure. The passenger and cargo compartments are divided. So it is a sedan with a high cargo ceiling. This is also why they get neither good passenger space nor good cargo space...
Same as Rolls Royce Cullinan, Bentley Bentayga, Range Rover and Volvo XC90 when optioned with cargo wall.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Oh god they arent gonna bring it here are they
negative-man-mother-3-1627313622.jpg

Edit:

Screenshot_20240112_204834_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I have never been so politely and thoroughly flexed upon

Motor

Expert
Reactions

But if the truth be known, the executive only revealed the facts when I suggested that the super-luxurious Century should have been called ‘Lexus Century’ to highlight its stately Rolls Royce Cullinan-style airs, instead of the more mundane ‘Toyota Century,’ especially given the fact that Toyota plans to export the model now and Lexus has a much higher status internationally. That’s when our source commented, “Ah no, the Century will actually be positioned above the Lexus brand as an extra luxurious brand.” Now it all makes sense. Just how successful it will be is debatable.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Are there any examples of that working? Mercedes demoted Maybach from a brand to a special trim level and if they couldn't make that work I doubt Toyota can.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think that has always been the case in JDM, but if Century goes beyond - especially into European and North American markets - not so sure that strategy is going to stick.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Retool this into becoming next LX

I've been calling this for a while. The century sedan is already developed in parallel with the LS, why shouldn't the LX be the century SUV's contemporary at Lexus?

Once the GX positions itself as the true, dedicated fullsize luxury offroader, the LX can shift to becoming a more luxury oriented offering.