4th Generation Toyota Century Thread [Officially Revealed]

Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
IMO the proportions just don't look right. The wheels are too big and the length-to-height ratio makes it look very stubby. The rounded edges also lack the traditional angular look of the sedan. The wheelbase needs to be at least 150mm longer to look right (and make legroom comparable to LM).
1693976564777.png

The battery pack, eAxle, and rear-wheel steering makes a very tight package that raises the floor. The end result is a cabin that feels way more cramped than the LM.

I don't feel so impressedand I think they did a better job with the LM than this. Of course, the LM could need the 550h+ powertrian.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It still requires the front passenger seat to be pushed forward to fully recline. The LM could do that AND have a privacy wall with a 48-inch screen. These tiny screens couldn't be helpful for doing video conferences. Also lacks shoe and umbrella storage.
039.jpg

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
IMO the proportions just don't look right. The wheels are too big and the length-to-height ratio makes it look very stubby. The rounded edges also lack the traditional angular look of the sedan. The wheelbase needs to be at least 150mm longer to look right (and make legroom comparable to LM).
View attachment 7907

The battery pack, eAxle, and rear-wheel steering makes a very tight package that raises the floor. The end result is a cabin that feels way more cramped than the LM.

I don't feel so impressedand I think they did a better job with the LM than this. Of course, the LM could need the 550h+ powertrian.
Although I agree with you from the video, the car's proportion looks off. Perhaps an additional length might have fixed it. Also, I dislike the tail light looks like it was borrowed from Genesis.

I also think the LM already had an advantage over the Century just from the perspective of spaciousness of a Van VS SUV. There is more room for expression in a van than SUV.

Just from the design, it is clear the competition is the Cullinan and I think they did a decent job. The cullinan Length is around 210in while the century is around 204in the width is almost the same between both cars. Wheelbase is shorter on the Century also. If they kept the length and wheelbase of the sedan it would be almost identical to the cullinan.

Last edited:

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
Looks like a Genesis from the rear and the proportions are all over the place. A hard pass. Sedan for me.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Looks like this is the end of century sedan as it has been removed from the japanese site and that means it is the end of 2ur fxe

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
The new model of the Century will be fully customizable on a global basis by listening to the needs of each individual customer. The aim is to deliver "freedom in motion―the ultimate freedom of movement" to even more people.
Does this mean it'll be available outside Japan? And this Century has to have air suspension, right?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The proportions are perfect.
It's exactly what it needs to be.
It's not a people mover like that. It's shorter than the sedan, which is correct. It should have distinct proportions and character to what emotions a long wide low sedan elicits.
It's the LX VIP on steroids.
I could see a convergence in the future.
LS/LX pairing to the Century sedan and SUV.

Reactions: RAL

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think the proportions are thrown off by the lack of ground clearance for a CUV. If it was an extra 3-4” off the ground, I think it would look more proportional - however as a chauffeur vehicle, extra ground clearance is the opposite of what you want. Trade offs.

Anyway, I really like it. I think the exterior is a modern, even futuristic take on Century and I like the new SUV form. For the interior, I expected more wood or detailed trim, but I seem to feel that way about almost all new Toyota vehicles. ~400hp PHEV shared with TX seems like a solid powertrain for smoothness and the mission of this car.

I understand the natural comparison to the Alphard and Vellfire considering they are all used as chauffeur vehicles, but this is so much nicer looking and more classic IMO. The vans are just absolutely horrific looking even though their interiors are more spacious.

There were notes on increasing platform stiffness and rigidity, and a new “E Four Advanced” AWD system… Toyota is all in on GA-K for sure. Not sure what this might mean for Lexus going forward.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
extra ground clearance is the opposite of what you want
It could be mitigated with adjustable ride height?
For the interior, I expected more wood or detailed trim
You know, I thought the same exact thing about the new LX. To go from that huge wood slab to nothing across the dash was shocking to me.
Not sure what this might mean for Lexus going forward
Lexus is going all in on BEVs but in the meantime we're going to see more products on GA-K and GA-L.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It could be mitigated with adjustable ride height?

You know, I thought the same exact thing about the new LX. To go from that huge wood slab to nothing across the dash was shocking to me.

Lexus is going all in on BEVs but in the meantime we're going to see more products on GA-K and GA-L.

I wondered about that with ride height but didn't see any press pics with a higher ride height, even in motion.

I think people can make the case that wood is "out" but I also think that mostly applies to red/brown tones of wood with high gloss finishes. Darker stain or lighter stain, and open pore and matte woods are very in, and Lexus has kiriko glass on the LS, plus there are metal options as well. I agree with you that from the top down, I see less wood or trim in all Toyota/Lexus models. New TX barely has any. 2GX had a lot of wood trim, 3GX has none but just nondescript "trim" and very little of it on the center console. For LX, LS, ES and RX, Lexus went from full wood rim/leather steering wheels to full leather with awkward small wood inserts -- I think this looks terrible and is an awful implementation.

Premium trim options are one of the things that historically separated Lexus from Toyota interiors, so the reduction of trim applications and wood in Lexus makes their interiors feel less special and less luxurious to me. I consider Century and Crown to be similar to Lexus in luxury/price/spec, so here again...

(Older) Century sedan:
cen1806_05_s.jpg

cen1806_06_s.jpg

New Century SUV:
2024-Toyota-Century-SUV-debuts-64.jpg

toyota_century_73.jpg

I see a lot of leather and plastic, but no wood. The new Century dash could be anything - Sienna? Highlander?

A real shame, IMO.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
I wondered about that with ride height but didn't see any press pics with a higher ride height, even in motion.
It would be disappointing if it didn't have air suspension.
Lexus went from full wood rim/leather steering wheels to full leather with awkward small wood inserts
This might've been something customers asked for better grip on the steering wheel I heard.
The new Century dash could be anything
The trim on the dash is actually wood. And the one on the rear center console. Scroll down to last interior slide. There isn't much of it though unfortunately.