3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Reactions
Really enjoy SG video reviews, but disagree somewhat with this regarding "it's up to brand preference." I believe that over time, if one is to own this vehicle for 7-15 years, there will be HUGE cost savings vs. other brands. We have recent year 1794 Tundra that is is our "spare" vehicle and even despite it's very obvious outdated flaws, we still really like it. Very excited to test the capstone and TRD pro Tundras to see the difference and if worth buying.
Perhaps Mark is subtly saying that people who want the Tundra are mostly Toyota brand owners already. Loyalty runs deep especially for truck buyers in America (Even for Toyota), cost savings be damned. However, it is known that 'loyalty' may be slowly eroding.

Reactions

SVH-Tundar-2.jpg

SVH-Tundar-3.jpg

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I see lots of issues from 3rd gen Tundra owners, and I have to ask anyone know what the picture is with QC at the San Antonio Plant? The new flavor of problem involves transmission replacements.

Furthermore do LC/LX owners have to deal with the same issues since the Tundra shares a similar powertrain package?

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
I see lots of issues from 3rd gen Tundra owners, and I have to ask anyone know what the picture is with QC at the San Antonio Plant? The new flavor of problem involves transmission replacements.

Furthermore do LC/LX owners have to deal with the same issues since the Tundra shares a similar powertrain package?

This worries me. I generally prefer Lexus models built in Japan (my LX570). But we also own a several year old Tundra which has really been a great vehicle but just doesn't get used much anymore. I really like the new Tundras and we're looking to trade up for it. But I'm brand loyal to Lexus/Toyota pretty much solely for their reliability and build quality.

If reliability and quality isn't there anymore. Then neither is our loyalty.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
The quality is concerning for me too. I see loose headliner, seats cracking, just little stuff. Seems trivial but that would drive me nuts. I looked at a Tundra platinum earlier this year and thought it felt cheap. Makes me nervous for all future Toyota products. Especially since I have my sights set on the new Tacoma rather than the Tundra now.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting the LC300 and LX also get 370whp. I've always suspected that Tundra's V35 is actually identical to the LC300 tune, but Toyota USA only advertised its output on 87AKI fuel.

Oh I missed it's an iForce Max. Pretty high losses indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions

368 WHP stock
433 WHP with tune and intake

It is advertised as 437 horsepower though. That's pretty low even considering driveline losses.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Please stop comparing numbers from different dynos. Calibration, correction factors, methodology, etc can swing numbers wildly. Chassis dyno is a good way to confirm baseline versus modification or two different cars on the same dyno, but there are way too many variables when you are looking at different vehicles on different dynos.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Please stop comparing numbers from different dynos. Calibration, correction factors, methodology, etc can swing numbers wildly. Chassis dyno is a good way to confirm baseline versus modification or two different cars on the same dyno, but there are way too many variables when you are looking at different vehicles on different dynos.
The numbers were measured on the same dyno owned by the same company on the same YouTube channel.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The LC300 is on a 4WD dyno and the Tundra Pro is on a 2WD dyno. The LC300 should have bigger drivetrain losses because it is full time 4WD versus the Tundra that doesn't have the front prop shaft and diffs dragging on the system while the hybrid system is likely adding very little drag. JMO, but something else is going on.

Reactions
The quality is concerning for me too. I see loose headliner, seats cracking, just little stuff. Seems trivial but that would drive me nuts. I looked at a Tundra platinum earlier this year and thought it felt cheap. Makes me nervous for all future Toyota products. Especially since I have my sights set on the new Tacoma rather than the Tundra now.
I stopped to look at a Tundra Platinum the other day and I concur. I did not care for the ice blue stitching on the seats but beyond that, the whole thing just felt a bit cheaper than I had expected from photos and videos, as opposed to just a bit outdated on the previous generation. I walked away not liking the Tundra as much as I had hoped. I really wanted to shy away from the big 3 but now I feel like I should just drive every single one out there and see which one has the most positives for my use case.