3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
At first I was shocked the Tundra TRD Pro wasn't faster than the LX considering the extra hybrid power, but it's also ~500lbs heavier than the LX 600.

LX was noticeably quicker, and had a more savage launch.
I assume they are launching the Tundra in 2WD where the LX is (I think) full time 4WD.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
At first I was shocked the Tundra TRD Pro wasn't faster than the LX considering the extra hybrid power, but it's also ~500lbs heavier than the LX 600.

LX was noticeably quicker, and had a more savage launch.
Note the "Max" gauge. The hybrid system cuts out completely multiple times during the acceleration despite being near full SOC and was at full hybrid boost for very brief periods. The iForce Max seems to have a very conservative tuning that disallows full hybrid boost for long time "for reliability". They are not like some other manufacturers that allow "overboost" i.e. discharging the battery at unsafe C-rate to get better acceleration time.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Note the "Max" gauge. The hybrid system cuts out completely multiple times during the acceleration despite being near full SOC and was at full hybrid boost for very brief periods. The iForce Max seems to have a very conservative tuning that disallows full hybrid boost for long time "for reliability". They are not like some other manufacturers that allow "overboost" i.e. discharging the battery at unsafe C-rate to get better acceleration time.
What benefit does the hybrid Tundra bring, if performance is not significantly better, and fuel consumption not significantly lower, yet the vehicles weighs more?

IMO 350h and 500h are the best hybrid powertrains, good fuel economy for satisfying performance.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Fuel consumption should be quite a bit lower in cities. Also makes acceleration when towing much easier. The Tundra's V35 tune hits peak torque at a relatively high 2400rpm (1600rpm for LS500 and 2000rpm for LX600), so below that the motor has to pick up the slack.

I did a lot of offroad driving before and having instantaneous power is the difference between making the dune and getting stuck halfway. That's the reason superchargers are so popular for engine modification: they create boost even off-throttle. You just can't afford to wait that 500ms for the turbo to spool, so we always use manual mode and left-foot braking when driving turbocharged cars to not lose boost. Having that hybrid assist could be very helpful for inexperienced drivers.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
390C7FF8-FDC0-4FEA-9E60-2DA03E757415.jpeg

I have LIMITED TRD for awhile and my first time really on road with it and what a leap. It drives amazingly smooth and comfy for a huge truck. Massive on the inside, much larger than the LX . 14” screen is just perfect. Tons of cubby space and charging ports. Engine pulls with authority even without the hybrid. Turbo lag seems more noticeable than in the LX.

Driving around it just feels huge. I now really don’t understand all these trucks popularity. Feels way too big in many parking lots, roads and around town. As a work truck I totally get it.

More to come, super impressive overall.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

1667325458336.jpeg

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd write this post.

Traded in our previous generation Tundra 1794 for a minimally used gorgeous black 2022 Ford F-150 Platinum with the camel colored interior about a week ago.

Waiting to write this post because, well, I'm embarrassed to so far to be so wrong in my preconceived notions. Sad.

Wow. What a truck.

2022 F-150 Platinum is light years ahead of any new Tundra, Capstone included.

Sandwiched test drive between TWO different 2023 Tundra Platinums AND a Capstone because I was sure that what I was feeling and seeing with the F-150 was wrong. Nope.

F-150 superior to all, minimally used but in mint condition it was still $30k less than the Capstone. Capstone lacks numerous key features (no massaging seats at $85K???). F-150 Platinum interior IMHO better than Tundra, even the Capstone.

Wow. What a truck.

Tundra back seat seems cramped in comparison. Less headroom. Front seats less comfortable as well. Disappointing.

Great visibility in the F-150. Definitely superior to Tundra.

Heated/Cooled everything works far more seamlessly than both the prior Tundra and current LX 570.

Massaging seats are pretty good, not the best massaging seats I've experienced, but pretty good and make a difference to the point that both I and wife enjoy putting them on periodically over past week on many drives. Truly a difference maker.

Wife no longer wants to drive/ride in the LX 570. I LOVE the LX 570, it truly was a bucket list vehicle, but it now feels like an ancient dinosaur and we're contemplating straight up getting rid of it even though we've had it for maybe a year or so.

B & O unleashed sound system is great. Again, better than the 2023 highest trim levels.

Wow. What a truck.

Tundra grille is too massive. Looks like a drunk catfish. Sequoia grille the best of the Tundra trucks.

Love Lexus. Really like Toyota. The newest Tundra already seems behind, Toyota needs to step it up.

Wow. What a truck.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats!

F-150 is a very impressive truck and without a doubt, Ford's best product, so you can tell they put a lot into it. I have friends with King Ranches and Platinums*, and they almost feel like the S Class of trucks behind the wheel and as a passenger. The EcoBoost motors are pretty great for power and especially torque.

I hope it holds up for you and gives you many great miles ahead.

*All end up traded in around 50-60k miles due to transmission failures, turbo issues, expensive HVAC repairs or ongoing problems with SYNC and infotainment. Not saying this gen Tundra has been a gem either - it certainly hasn't.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
My dad had an order in for a platinum Tundra last year. He then investigated the Raptors and ended up with a 2023…..and loves it! Leaps and bounds above the tundra in features and interior quality. He came from a platinum F150 prior too.

It’s really sad… we both love Toyotas. I can just see exactly what goes on. Toyota execs shoot down the US engineers ideas and budgets only to limit the tundra’s features, abilities, and overall capability. Then a few years later they sit at a conference table and say” I told ya so, it’s not selling very well so why dump too much money into a new update or new generation.”

A vicious circle. Unreal. Same goes for the new Sequoia. I sure hope the upcoming 4Runner and GX don’t get the same treatment otherwise I’m going elsewhere. We already replaced my wife’s Lexus IS350 with a new BMW M340. Lexus just had nothing close in terms of performance and features in one package. Don’t tell me the IS500 either, you can’t get them. Unicorns.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Congrats!

F-150 is a very impressive truck and without a doubt, Ford's best product, so you can tell they put a lot into it. I have friends with King Ranches and Platinums*, and they almost feel like the S Class of trucks behind the wheel and as a passenger. The EcoBoost motors are pretty great for power and especially torque.

I hope it holds up for you and gives you many great miles ahead.

*All end up traded in around 50-60k miles due to transmission failures, turbo issues, expensive HVAC repairs or ongoing problems with SYNC and infotainment. Not saying this gen Tundra has been a gem either - it certainly hasn't.

Thanks Gecko. Because I'm a biased flawed human, I still hope Tundra comes back with an epic mid-cycle refresh that changes the game, but.....

I feel so humbled because I've been very open about ragging on Ford quality, etc. amongst my friends and family. Like a dumb broken record.

This Platinum interior is spectacular. Great high-end materials. Leather all the way up to the windows and windshield. Real wood pieces. Every stitch and panel fits. The sound system is incredible. The hands free driving features are somewhat useful and at times only mildly annoying haha. Put about 100 miles on the test drives of the F-150 trying to take it through various terrains with all sounds off looking for the inevitable creaks and faults that never came.

I obviously can't speak to reliability yet, but we purchased the max bumper to bumper 150K mile warranty that covers EVERYTHING and again the purchase price all-in was still $30K+ less than the Capstone WITHOUT any additions, warranties, taxes. I could still be proven wrong and be back on this forum in mea culpa mode in a few months/years but with the warranty coverage we have, it'll be tough for this vehicle to disappoint now given how well it does everything else. Because it does everything else so so well.

Time will tell. Eye-opening and humbling experience. Cars are a lot like life. You think you know and then you kinda get smacked in the face and realize there is soooooo much that you don't know. Fun.

Just want to say, this is no means a post trashing the Tundra. I wanted to love the Tundra so so bad. My wife even green-lit buying the Capstone. Just couldn't do it. The Tundra is still nice, interior is vastly improved, but I think it has almost taken a step back in certain areas (front seats, space, back seat, visibility, head room). Good truck, just no longer a great truck IMHO. But I'm just one confused consumer now so take it with a grain of salt.

Still love this forum and its members. A daily addiction for sure. Realizing I am way further from being anything close to a knowledgeable expert than I thought. C'est la vie.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
My dad had an order in for a platinum Tundra last year. He then investigated the Raptors and ended up with a 2023…..and loves it! Leaps and bounds above the tundra in features and interior quality. He came from a platinum F150 prior too.

It’s really sad… we both love Toyotas. I can just see exactly what goes on. Toyota execs shoot down the US engineers ideas and budgets only to limit the tundra’s features, abilities, and overall capability. Then a few years later they sit at a conference table and say” I told ya so, it’s not selling very well so why dump too much money into a new update or new generation.”

A vicious circle. Unreal. Same goes for the new Sequoia. I sure hope the upcoming 4Runner and GX don’t get the same treatment otherwise I’m going elsewhere. We already replaced my wife’s Lexus IS350 with a new BMW M340. Lexus just had nothing close in terms of performance and features in one package. Don’t tell me the IS500 either, you can’t get them. Unicorns.

Completely agree. Personally, Toyota/Lexus seems to be regressing towards the mean and Genesis is becoming the "new" Lexus offering really great vehicles at truly value proposition prices.

GX was my first Lexus and holds a special place in my heart (though the front seat legroom and comfort was close to terrible). I'm waiting on Mikeavelli's jock strap for any hints of news about the next GX because if they hit it out of the park I'll trade all 3 of our vehicles for 3 GXs lol.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Completely agree. Personally, Toyota/Lexus seems to be regressing towards the mean and Genesis is becoming the "new" Lexus offering really great vehicles at truly value proposition prices.

GX was my first Lexus and holds a special place in my heart (though the front seat legroom and comfort was close to terrible). I'm waiting on Mikeavelli's jock strap for any hints of news about the next GX because if they hit it out of the park I'll trade all 3 of our vehicles for 3 GXs lol.

hahah…first congrats and i think your summary is similar to the reviews i’ve read. As Gecko stated the F-150 is Ford’s bread and butter. Seeing Brandon B’s post also shows they need to offer some true GR model. Amaizng to think a factory supercharger use to be offered.

I just feel the Tundra/LX etc should have a ttv-8 option on top the V-6. Make it the capstone engine, GR and LX whatever is coming next. Too much compromise.

I agree massaging seats should be offered way more not just on what feels like the LS.

The thing is when you wait 10-12 years to redesign, the goal posts have moved like 3 times by the time the product comes out.

I do feel the TRD Tundra is a looker, I have a hard time telling F-150s apart.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The Tundra absolutely has the style aspect down imo. The interior looks awesome, and the exterior looks amazing too with those muscled fenders.