3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
Completely agree. Personally, Toyota/Lexus seems to be regressing towards the mean and Genesis is becoming the "new" Lexus offering really great vehicles at truly value proposition prices.

GX was my first Lexus and holds a special place in my heart (though the front seat legroom and comfort was close to terrible). I'm waiting on Mikeavelli's jock strap for any hints of news about the next GX because if they hit it out of the park I'll trade all 3 of our vehicles for 3 GXs lol.
I drive a 2022 GX currently and love it! Hoping they don't mess it up at this years new model reveal!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It’s really sad… we both love Toyotas. I can just see exactly what goes on. Toyota execs shoot down the US engineers ideas and budgets only to limit the tundra’s features, abilities, and overall capability. Then a few years later they sit at a conference table and say” I told ya so, it’s not selling very well so why dump too much money into a new update or new generation.”

A vicious circle. Unreal.

Yup. Exactly that. 🥺

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Thanks Gecko. Because I'm a biased flawed human, I still hope Tundra comes back with an epic mid-cycle refresh that changes the game, but.....

I feel so humbled because I've been very open about ragging on Ford quality, etc. amongst my friends and family. Like a dumb broken record.

This Platinum interior is spectacular. Great high-end materials. Leather all the way up to the windows and windshield. Real wood pieces. Every stitch and panel fits. The sound system is incredible. The hands free driving features are somewhat useful and at times only mildly annoying haha. Put about 100 miles on the test drives of the F-150 trying to take it through various terrains with all sounds off looking for the inevitable creaks and faults that never came.

I obviously can't speak to reliability yet, but we purchased the max bumper to bumper 150K mile warranty that covers EVERYTHING and again the purchase price all-in was still $30K+ less than the Capstone WITHOUT any additions, warranties, taxes. I could still be proven wrong and be back on this forum in mea culpa mode in a few months/years but with the warranty coverage we have, it'll be tough for this vehicle to disappoint now given how well it does everything else. Because it does everything else so so well.

Time will tell. Eye-opening and humbling experience. Cars are a lot like life. You think you know and then you kinda get smacked in the face and realize there is soooooo much that you don't know. Fun.

Just want to say, this is no means a post trashing the Tundra. I wanted to love the Tundra so so bad. My wife even green-lit buying the Capstone. Just couldn't do it. The Tundra is still nice, interior is vastly improved, but I think it has almost taken a step back in certain areas (front seats, space, back seat, visibility, head room). Good truck, just no longer a great truck IMHO. But I'm just one confused consumer now so take it with a grain of salt.

Still love this forum and its members. A daily addiction for sure. Realizing I am way further from being anything close to a knowledgeable expert than I thought. C'est la vie.

I completely agree with ALL of your sentiments! If someone hasn't been in an F-150 lately, they'll be shocked by how nice the interior is - design, details and even quality. If I was to go buy a full-size truck, F-150 would probably be on the top of my list just because it's so good.

When the new Tundra came out, I had extremely high hopes for it after so many years without a redesign, GA-F hype, turbo hybrid motor, 450 lb weight loss, etc. The first time I saw one in person, I was quickly disappointed. What looks like nice detailing on the doors and dash in pictures is sort of cheaply stamped details on flimsy plastic in person. A lot of creaks in the interior when you start pressing on panels and trim.

... and those were only first impressions on a parked vehicle. Fast forward to what we know now that they've been on the road for a year and a half: a few rounds of different turbo problems and a number of bought back trucks, misaligned exterior panels, huge panel gaps, wind noise problems, electronic gremlins, interior trim pieces that crack and break, the list goes on. Those are the types of things we laughed at GM and Ford for, and I would say the Tundra now seems to have more problems and concerns than all of them right now.

To @Brandon B's point, TMNA has to fight and scrap for every dollar of budget that goes into these BOF products and it becomes abundantly clear that the folks in Japan don't value them the same way that the decision makers at Ford or GM do. Toyota has the Camry and RAV4 (GA-K) and Ford has the F-150. Priorities.

It's my expectation that Toyota will remedy some of these issues (hopefully quickly) over the next few months and years, but the un-Toyotaness of the Tundra is pretty disheartening (It's also why I'm buying a current gen Tacoma and not waiting for the new one). While the semi-aniline leather is nice, I would never spend "Capstone" money on a car with worse plastics and panel gaps than a Corolla. All that to say... I think you made a great choice 😀

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Matches my experience riding in my relative's King Ranch. I'm not a pickup person but that F-150 feels like a German luxury car.

I haven't tried a Tundra/Sequoia yet but recent TMC products do feel very stingy when it comes to interior features, from the bottom all the way up to the most expensive Lexus.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
I completely agree with ALL of your sentiments! If someone hasn't been in an F-150 lately, they'll be shocked by how nice the interior is - design, details and even quality. If I was to go buy a full-size truck, F-150 would probably be on the top of my list just because it's so good.

When the new Tundra came out, I had extremely high hopes for it after so many years without a redesign, GA-F hype, turbo hybrid motor, 450 lb weight loss, etc. The first time I saw one in person, I was quickly disappointed. What looks like nice detailing on the doors and dash in pictures is sort of cheaply stamped details on flimsy plastic in person. A lot of creaks in the interior when you start pressing on panels and trim.

... and those were only first impressions on a parked vehicle. Fast forward to what we know now that they've been on the road for a year and a half: a few rounds of different turbo problems and a number of bought back trucks, misaligned exterior panels, huge panel gaps, wind noise problems, electronic gremlins, interior trim pieces that crack and break, the list goes on. Those are the types of things we laughed at GM and Ford for, and I would say the Tundra now seems to have more problems and concerns than all of them right now.

To @Brandon B's point, TMNA has to fight and scrap for every dollar of budget that goes into these BOF products and it becomes abundantly clear that the folks in Japan don't value them the same way that the decision makers at Ford or GM do. Toyota has the Camry and RAV4 (GA-K) and Ford has the F-150. Priorities.

It's my expectation that Toyota will remedy some of these issues (hopefully quickly) over the next few months and years, but the un-Toyotaness of the Tundra is pretty disheartening (It's also why I'm buying a current gen Tacoma and not waiting for the new one). While the semi-aniline leather is nice, I would never spend "Capstone" money on a car with worse plastics and panel gaps than a Corolla. All that to say... I think you made a great choice 😀

Gecko. Thanks again. I enjoy reading your takes on the various vehicles discussed on this forum. Hope that someday I have similar brand/vehicle knowledge and wisdom.

The quality of this F-150 is just shocking, but probably because I've been in a silo for too long. Gremlins will probably appear, but they are also showing up on newer Tundras.

For instance, my wife traded her Mercedes GLE for our Sienna when we went from two to three little rascals. She agrees with your comments, the overall luxuriousness of this F-150 platinum rivals her GLE and she likes riding shotgun far more in the F-150 because of the space, sight-lines and ride height. She also thinks the new 12 inch center screen plus physical dials is better than the newer German luxury vehicles (she has driven them all btw) for usability.

Still pull for Toyota/Lexus because I'm a total homer and always hope that the next GX will be that niche (or mainstream) vehicle the LX used to be marrying comfort & capability (with just a tad more comfortable seats, leg room and some good tech pretty please). Though as stated previously, as more Lexus vehicles are built in US, I have concerns about the QDR that has previously been untouchable compared to vehicles built in Japan. Just a much better culture that can't really be replicated as it is entirely organic.

Learn a lot from others on this forum. Probably still need to learn to shut up and listen more, but its a process. Sorry.

GX.....Please be amazing

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I’ve flirted a few times with canceling my Tacoma order and trading in my GX for a Tundra 1794 iForce Max…

… and then I do research on Tundra forums and Facebook groups 😔

The quality issues with this truck are so disappointing.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko , try it yourself

I admit the first batch had it's own problems, lot of it to be honest, but non of it was related to the Engine

Now a lot of things are better

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
I’ve flirted a few times with canceling my Tacoma order and trading in my GX for a Tundra 1794 iForce Max…

this would be a logical and better financial way to go. A top-end Tundra would be as luxury or more than the GX and can do as much or more than the Taco. It would also be much cheaper and saves you a parking space

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions

I hear you but feel quality is much improved. The Platinum I looked at last year had me feeling disappointed but I just looked at a new limited last week and it felt much better than I remembered.

Let’s hope this next gen Tacoma roll out is better than that of the Tundra.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That place is called the "Brave Men's Slope" and it requires really good driving skill to manage and a good weight distribution to put down the power. It's a very dangerous place where misplaced weight could easily cause the truck to roll over. Someone carried an entire family of 5 while challenging it with tragic consequences.

I've challenged that place before in my 3.6L JK Wrangler 5 door but failed just 3 meters from the top, that is after I tried taking off all the unnecessary weight (including the license plate). On that day there were 30-40 cars and only a 3 door Wrangler JK, a supercharged XJ Cherokee, a stripped-out LC80, and a crazy driver in a Jimny managed it. No 5 door Wranglers and no 200 and 150 series Land Cruisers made it (however, I've seen other 200 series stopping 5 meters before the top and CRAWLed its way to the top).

This Tundra made it look easy, even with momentum to spare for a flyiing finish. Impressive driving and truck. They also maintained a banked turn for so long. My Wrangler couldn't do even half the distance.

BTW a GLS450 got stuck before even reaching the bottom. And a Range Rover failed half way with an engine warning light :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
That place is called the "Brave Men's Slope" and it requires really good driving skill to manage and a good weight distribution to put down the power. It's a very dangerous place where misplaced weight could easily cause the truck to roll over. Someone carried an entire family of 5 while challenging it with tragic consequences.

I've challenged that place before in my 3.6L JK Wrangler 5 door but failed just 3 meters from the top, that is after I tried taking off all the unnecessary weight (including the license plate). On that day there were 30-40 cars and only a 3 door Wrangler JK, a supercharged XJ Cherokee, a stripped-out LC80, and a crazy driver in a Jimny managed it. No 5 door Wranglers and no 200 and 150 series Land Cruisers made it (however, I've seen other 200 series stopping 5 meters before the top and CRAWLed its way to the top).

This Tundra made it look easy, even with momentum to spare for a flyiing finish. Impressive driving and truck. They also maintained a banked turn for so long. My Wrangler couldn't do even half the distance.

BTW a GLS450 got stuck before even reaching the bottom. And a Range Rover failed half way with an engine warning light :ROFLMAO:
The Suzuki Jimny is really underrated, people seem to like to write it off or make fun of it just because it's smol.

The new Tundra might look a bit derpy with its not quite big enough tires but it sure can fly lol. Eager to see how the new Tacoma is like to drive and its off-roading capabilities.

Not surprised that Mercedes' pavement queen got stuck before even reaching the starting point for the climb. The Range Rover breaking down half way through the climb is icing on the “unreliable crap pile” cake. Seems like certain things are still in perfect balance in this crazy world 😂.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Suzuki Jimny is really underrated, people seem to like to write it off or make fun of it just because it's smol.
It's just very unsafe to drive both on road and off road. But in the hands of a competent and courageous driver it never fails to embarrass some of the biggest and most expensive trucks and SUVs. It's closer to an ATV than to a Jeep.

A lot of people driving Euro SUVs over-estimate their capabilities and don't learn the basic driving and safety skills for off-roading. They go in with road tires, never deflate them, use the wrong driving modes, don't carry rescue equipment, don't obey traffic rules and carry too many passengers they want to impress.

Last edited:

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
Hydrogen Tundra, I don't think they will ever put these into the market but always interesting to see one running.

Would be nice to have more technical info but the article is nothing more than just a piece of marketing/public awareness. I remember back in 2017 or 18 there was this hydrogen tundra 'hydra' concept/testing car but don't know what happened to the program.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
It's just very unsafe to drive both on road and off road. But in the hands of a competent and courageous driver it never fails to embarrass some of the biggest and most expensive trucks and SUVs. It's closer to an ATV than to a Jeep.

A lot of people driving Euro SUVs over-estimate their capabilities and don't learn the basic driving and safety skills for off-roading. They go in with road tires, never deflate them, use the wrong driving modes, don't carry rescue equipment, don't obey traffic rules and carry too many passengers they want to impress.
Seeing the Jimny jump and hop around when off roading is always an amusing sight 😂.

The stock tires on most of the luxury European SUVs have barely any real off road capabilities, basically just heavy duty/higher load versions of tires for regular cars. I swear so many people that buy those Euro SUVs tend to be jumped-up a-holes lol.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That was half the fun of the YouTube videos of the fords in the UK (a place where a stream runs over a road and sometimes gets up to 3 feet (not quite 1 meter) deep). Land Rovers and Wranglers did OK but a Fiat 500 someone tried to drive through it actually started floating downstream (LOL). The local authorities eventually closed the road completely because people in Land Rovers kept doing victory laps around dead BMWs.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
TRD Jon just posted a video of the 2024 changes.
-Army Green color dropped from lineup
-Lunar Rock available on upper trim models
-Solar Octane available on SR5 and a couple other trims
-over $1000 price increase on all models, with SR5 and Limited getting more than a $3000 price increase
-Limited trim with TRD packages get chrome delete and color matched grill and blacked out trim
-Nightshade available on some models.

A limited with the TRD Offroad package is probably the model I’d buy, and it’s nice to see the chrome is going away.

The price increases are getting ridiculous.