3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Reactions
Apparently dealers got new info about the Tundra this week (so they say, the source is a little different). Seems like they are very excited about it, rightfully so lol. Info should come soon? Really hope the reveal isn't at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Well I hate to be that guy but my patients is wearing thin. First the Tundra was going to be shown at the Chicago Auto Show, then because of COVID and a leaked teaser video it was assumed we’d see it at the Super Bowl. Then we thought we’d hear something from the virtual NADA conference. Well with March almost here my question is directed towards Toyota. Where is the next gen Tundra?!?

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Apparently the reveal has been pushed back. I’m disappointed to an extent and am trying to be patient but it’s certainly been tough.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm getting sick of waiting for this thing. I hope it's the killer that rumors are making it out to be, because the anticipation grows almost every month, it seems.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I'm getting sick of waiting for this thing. I hope it's the killer that rumors are making it out to be, because the anticipation grows almost every month, it seems.
You and me both. I hate waiting for it, my bank account does not however. The waiting allows me to keep saving which is good because this thing will be pricey, no doubt. I was set on a Camry Hybrid but I just keep holding out for this new Tundra. Hopefully it comes soon.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The last vehicle that was this hyped up after a long delay was the fifth gen LS, so I am hoping the Tundra comes out of the gate as a stronger execution after some lessons learned with other TNGA rollouts.

For example, the rumors of a Tundra hybrid have been swirling for 5-7 years now... and yet Ford beat them to it, and with very strong specs. Also, the EcoBoost engines aren't perfect, but at this point, Ford has the "turbo V6" thing nailed down pretty well, whereas the V35A-FTS has only been out for 3 years, and it's been "meh" in the LS.

A lot of things about the Tundra and LS are very different, but a lot of things are also very similar. If the Tundra rolls out with some sort of "Oh we did all the things and we did them our way (in a vacuum)," thinking like they did with the LS, it will be a problem. I am hoping Toyota gets it right - and more.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Being in Europe I personally am looking forward to the new Hilux and Fortuner, so as Landcruiser which isn't on sale since the third facelift. I think sales stopped even before, when my boss said he bought the last year because they would be discontinued. He still has it now. I am sure he'll get the new one.

IMO the Landcruiser has bigger shoes to fill than the Tundra, which is a NA model only, while LC is global.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

I could say so many things about the state of Toyota in the last few years, but I'll keep that to myself. In the immediate context, Toyota needs to be very careful to listen to and meet the needs of North American customers and not alienate them. For body-on-frame trucks and SUVs, in North America people love powerful engines, and especially engines with lots of torque. The American competition in the last few years has gone into overdrive offering so many large engines. Ford, GM, Dodge, Jeep all have a variety of very powerful V8s available, especially in many of their off-road models. FCA has done a tremendous job offering V8s almost everywhere. They've taken a financial penalty due to CAFE or EPA rules I've heard, but if that's what it takes to satisfy the wants and needs of North American customers at this time, so be it. I'm not advocating Toyota do exactly this, but Toyota needs to just be very aware. The Wrangler has a huge V8 available, the Ram TRX is an extreme off-road machine, then you have the extremely competitive Bronco (with evidence that Ford will unveil even more extreme Bronco variants including possibly turbo V6 or V8 engines) and you have the new Ford Raptor which will also get even more extreme with the future Raptor R variant. So my question to Toyota, where are you in terms of competing? Where are the big, strong engines for your body-on-frame trucks and SUVs?

To keep this short, whatever engine and transmission combinations the new Tundra, Sequoia, 4Runner, Tacoma, etc. will have...they need be engines with lots of torque paired with responsive transmissions. Also the pedal and throttle response needs to be great, and not dull or laggy. Aside from being fast and powerful, the new generation vehicles need to also feel fast and powerful. The current Tacoma feels slow, and the current 4Runner is slow.

In Covid times here, Toyota could have easily virtually premiered the Tundra by now. What's the hold up? Even if the Tundra only reaches showrooms in December or early next year, doesn't matter, just premiere it now already. It's even more mind-boggling considering the exterior has already leaked out.

The last vehicle that was this hyped up after a long delay was the fifth gen LS, so I am hoping the Tundra comes out of the gate as a stronger execution after some lessons learned with other TNGA rollouts.

For example, the rumors of a Tundra hybrid have been swirling for 5-7 years now... and yet Ford beat them to it, and with very strong specs. Also, the EcoBoost engines aren't perfect, but at this point, Ford has the "turbo V6" thing nailed down pretty well, whereas the V35A-FTS has only been out for 3 years, and it's been "meh" in the LS.

A lot of things about the Tundra and LS are very different, but a lot of things are also very similar. If the Tundra rolls out with some sort of "Oh we did all the things and we did them our way (in a vacuum)," thinking like they did with the LS, it will be a problem. I am hoping Toyota gets it right - and more.

On the consumer side, a heavy-duty hybrid system from Toyota has been rumored for over 10 years now. On the commercial Hino side, Toyota has had a heavy-duty hybrid system available for over 20 years now.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And the SRT brand was just disbanded by Stellantis. The fact a brand with such a high carbon footprint could last so long and have so much popularity is a shame to the American auto industry. Ford and GM are transforming their image to be more eco-conscious while FCA had close to zero investment on more efficient ICE and electrification technology, and it will bite them in the very near future. The RAM TRX and Wranger 392 are very irresponsible products released to irresponsible consumers; at some point people need to change their consumption habits. What FCA has been doing before should not be encouraged.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
And the SRT brand was just disbanded by Stellantis. The fact a brand with such a high carbon footprint could last so long and have so much popularity is a shame to the American auto industry. Ford and GM are transforming their image to be more eco-conscious while FCA had close to zero investment on more efficient ICE and electrification technology, and it will bite them in the very near future. The RAM TRX and Wranger 392 are very irresponsible products released to irresponsible consumers; at some point people need to change their consumption habits. What FCA has been doing before should not be encouraged.

Crying laughing from this hand wringing over nothing