mikeavelli

Reactions
Still really like it (exterior mostly) after pouring through the videos, photos, posts, etc.

The $16 to $10,000 watch analogy makes no sense. Nobody is comparing this vehicle to something that costs 600 times less.

Interior is very lackluster. Just is. You can be "refined" and "execute" and even be very offroad/outdoor friendly with a far nicer interior. Lazy interior focused on profitability imho.

17 mpg is unacceptable at launch. TMC/Lexus has far too much experience with hybrids for this to be acceptable for an aspirational vehicle with a 2024 launch.

Kills my soul pointing out faults of a vehicle of which in the past I've never felt a closer emotional connection to. That being said, have to be honest and this forum can't all be fanboys lauding a vehicle and brand that frankly does not punch above it's weight class the way the brand I first fell in love with did.

TX is incredibly ugly. Ick.

It’s perspective. If someone sees the GX as a bargain G Wagon then it punches way above its class. Instantly a waiting list ballooned after its release. There isn’t really anything in this segment like a GX unless you jump to Jeep.

The TX seems to be the less liked car here and I get it. But most of us also are not the target and people clamoring for a 7 seat larger Lexus will be fine.

They did sell the RX L lol

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@mikeavelli , I think it's not about someone thinking

I think it's about what TMC is thinking
To enlarge Prado/GX dimensions

GX specifically, it has now nearly the same dimensions as the G wagon with even the same boxy design

mikeavelli

Reactions
@mikeavelli , I think it's not about someone thinking

I think it's about what TMC is thinking
To enlarge Prado/GX dimensions

GX specifically, it has now nearly the same dimensions as the G wagon with even the same boxy design

Yup. Same 112.2 “golden wheelbase”
as the LX but 3” shorter. It made zero sense to just make another traditional looking SUV here. And let’s be honest, took some balls to make a Lexus look like this. And to their credit the LX interior looks totally different than this. Good or bad. The GX interior looks more like the rest of the lineup.

For people complaining have you ever driven a G Wagon? Acceleration is mad crazy but rides super rough and the gorgeous interior is rather small. No 7 seat option. And the G63 has waiting lists to this day. A used 2019 goes for what a new one does.

Logic doesn’t matter, people want what they want.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Yup. Same 112.2 “golden wheelbase”
as the LX but 3” shorter. It made zero sense to just make another traditional looking SUV here. And let’s be honest, took some balls to make a Lexus look like this. And to their credit the LX interior looks totally different than this. Good or bad. The GX interior looks more like the rest of the lineup.

For people complaining have you ever driven a G Wagon? Acceleration is mad crazy but rides super rough and the gorgeous interior is rather small. No 7 seat option. And the G63 has waiting lists to this day. A used 2019 goes for what a new one does.

Logic doesn’t matter, people want what they want.

Also g wagons only recently got a decent interior. I wasnt a fan of the old ones.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think TMC wants to fill any missing space by the new generation GX and Prado

GX goes for G wagon and defender 110/130

Prado goes for Wrangler, Bronco and defender 90 for 2 doors Prado

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
The more I think about it, the more I reject that MPG estimate lol. It's almost impossible to only achieve 17mpg when the LX is 19mpg combined in a larger, heavier body. Ditto for a 4WD Tundra. Wonder what the curb weight on this thing is?

Edit: never noticed, but the Mercedes G550 is 18 mpg combined. Thoroughly convinced Lexus is trolling lol. Under-promise and over-deliver.

Last edited:
Reactions
The more I think about it, the more I reject that MPG estimate lol. It's almost impossible to only achieve 17mpg when the LX is 19mpg combined in a larger, heavier body. Ditto for a 4WD Tundra. Wonder what the curb weight on this thing is?

I know! The only thing I can think of is possibly aerodynamics and how boxy it is. But still, it is quite disappointing.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Nice idea, now already the RX is only sporty 5 seater CUV,

The true RX in near future Lexus lineup will be the TX

That leaves the RX name as a free sporty candidate

Reactions

Edit: never noticed, but the Mercedes G550 is 18 mpg combined. Thoroughly convinced Lexus is trolling lol. Under-promise and over-deliver.

I hope they are underpromising, that would be fantastic. Do car manufacturers do these things on purpose?

Reactions
Nice idea, now already the RX is only sporty 5 seater CUV,

The true RX in near future Lexus lineup will be the TX

That leaves the RX name as a free sporty candidate

I’m sorry, but RX and sporty really aren’t what Lexus is doing with the RX. Even the 500h according to recent reviews is not up to the sportiness of the Germans

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This (INEOS Grenadier) starts at like $70k US
1686411580929.png

There's a 12-month+ wait list.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I’m sorry, but RX and sporty really aren’t what Lexus is doing with the RX. Even the 500h according to recent reviews is not up to the sportiness of the Germans
And it won't

No comparison between FWD and RWD based

The current RX500h F sport is the most agile RX ever made but the previous X6 is more agile and dynamic than it

That's why I hope the next RX or any other new model can take on the LF-1 limitless to production

That's exactly the only missing space

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I hope they are underpromising, that would be fantastic. Do car manufacturers do these things on purpose?
Few instances
-I recall the the Crown Hybrid MAX powerplant being announced as 28MG combined and when it went on sale 6 months later it was 30MPG.
-Corolla Cross hybrid initially rated 37 MPG and went on sale at a whopping 42 MPG.
-When the Highlander debuted the 2.4 engine, it was initially the same MPG as the outgoing V-6, but eventually got rated at a 1 MPG increase.
Its not common but has happened recently with Toyota for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions
Few instrances
-I recall the the Crown Hybrid MAX powerplant being announced as 28MG combined and when it went on sale 6 months later it was 30MPG.
-Corolla Cross hybrid initially rated 37 MPG and went on sale at a whopping 42 MPG.
-When the Highlander debuted the 2.4 engine, it was initially the same MPG as the outgoing V-6, but eventually got rated at a 1 MPG increase.
Its not common but has happened recently with Toyota for sure.

Thanks!! There is some hope. You’re absolutely right. I actually checked and Lexus did something similar with the new RX for some of its trims. The largest variations seem to be with hybrids though.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
So, I’m a bit perplexed with the TNGA-F platform now that we have the GX. My understanding was that there is two versions of the TNGA-F, one for heavier duty applications, like the Tundra, LC300, Sequoia, and LX; then a lighter duty TNGA-F for the Tacoma, and presumably, the Prado and 4Runner. Does the GX still ride on the lighter duty chassis even though it has the V35 and 10 speed? Is the rear axle the same as the Tacoma, or is it something from a LC300? What does all this mean for the Prado and 4Runner? Will the 4Runner also increase in size? The GX has me wondering so many things about the 4Runner and Prado.

Now all we need is a long wheelbase LX and Sequoia to really fill out the Toyota/Lexus lineup. They can move to IRS while they’re at it.