Reactions
What's the best hunch as to: (a) when we'll get a torque figure on the plug-in hybrid TX; and (b) why Lexus initially declined to identify that torque figure? Is it possible that the plug-in TX will have a torque figure greater than the V6 GX?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Because torque figure for power split eCVT systems is not comparable to that of a traditional ICE power train. The maximum torque is not achieved at a certain ICE rpm, but certain combinations of ICE, MG1 and MG2 rpm and load.

Lexus only recently began to publish torque figures for its PS hybrids but didn't provide a context on what conditions these figures are achieved, so these numbers don't actually make sense.

Anyway, engine torque as an advertised figure should have been abolished decades ago. It is the most misunderstood specification. Engine torque is actually not a torque, but a measurement of useful mechanical work per revolution of crankshaft. What really matters is wheel torque (a true torque) not engine torque.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Wait...isn't the 500h supposed to be FSP only? How come it has the luxury wheel?

Reactions: RAL

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
If I were looking for an all round SUV (not off-road) and could afford it, I’d get a TX 550h+ over a German turbo V8 SUV, so hands down over their PHEVs.
Agreed, plus the reliability/dependability and love that it has a soul with the V6 NA motor (2GR-FXS) which is a big F**k You! also the plug-in hybrid factor which increases mpg's and no need to worry about range anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^Agreed. I'm noticing some of you with the same political jabs -- keep it to yourselves.

Reactions: RAL

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Too bad the TX550h+ is gonna be really limited though. Hope there's more demand for it when it goes on sale

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota filed four applications, including for a Lexus TZ450e and premium TZ550e trim.

Must be this one?

lexus-2-1644423832.jpg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if miniaturization of components and improved packaging of EVs would allow a single, mid-sized SUV to offer what multiple current models do, but in a single offering and across a wider range of price points.

Will1991

Reactions
I wonder if miniaturization of components and improved packaging of EVs would allow a single, mid-sized SUV to offer what multiple current models do, but in a single offering and across a wider range of price points.

TMC should be able to it with 3rd gen eAxle.

Reactions
On paper, with the 550h+ power train, the TX is everything I'm looking for. I currently drive a Sorento PHEV and need to size up, so the TX 550h+ is at the top of the list on paper since I want to either stay PHEV or go EV.

That said, I'm fairly disappointed in some of Lexus' design choices.

No caramel/saddle interior option, no wood trim option, only semi-aniline trimmed seats vs interior option, significantly fewer interior color options than every other Lexus SUV except the RZ, no cool box option, no wood trimmed steering wheel option, no massaging seats option, no acoustic glass option, and no triple beam headlight option.

Not all of those matter to me, but they're glaring omissions from the options list, especially the interior colors and lack of wood.

Real wood is a Lexus tradition--the legacy models all offered wood trim as an option and for the current models, the NX, RX, current GX, LX, IS, ES, and LS all offer real wood trims. The only vehicles that do not are the UX, RZ, TX and the new GX. Given what they are, I wouldn't expect the UX or RZ to have wood. Given that multiple models both below and above the TX and GX have real wood trim, that's a pretty glaring omission.

Same kinda thing with the lack of a caramel interior for the TX--it has the fewest interior color options by far of any vehicle in Lexus' lineup except for the RZ.

I would posit that the lack of real wood is 100% fine in a mass market brand like Toyota. In a luxury brand like Lexus, on the other hand, it's a bewildering choice given how prevalent it is throughout the rest of the model lineup above and below the TX and GX.

Reactions
Does anyone know if the 550h PHEV will be optioned with rear wheel steering? I am a potentially waitlisted buyer of the 550h Plug in hybrid variant and the dealer is unable to confirm or advise on specs as of yet.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
On paper, with the 550h+ power train, the TX is everything I'm looking for. I currently drive a Sorento PHEV and need to size up, so the TX 550h+ is at the top of the list on paper since I want to either stay PHEV or go EV.

That said, I'm fairly disappointed in some of Lexus' design choices.

No caramel/saddle interior option, no wood trim option, only semi-aniline trimmed seats vs interior option, significantly fewer interior color options than every other Lexus SUV except the RZ, no cool box option, no wood trimmed steering wheel option, no massaging seats option, no acoustic glass option, and no triple beam headlight option.

Not all of those matter to me, but they're glaring omissions from the options list, especially the interior colors and lack of wood.

Real wood is a Lexus tradition--the legacy models all offered wood trim as an option and for the current models, the NX, RX, current GX, LX, IS, ES, and LS all offer real wood trims. The only vehicles that do not are the UX, RZ, TX and the new GX. Given what they are, I wouldn't expect the UX or RZ to have wood. Given that multiple models both below and above the TX and GX have real wood trim, that's a pretty glaring omission.

Same kinda thing with the lack of a caramel interior for the TX--it has the fewest interior color options by far of any vehicle in Lexus' lineup except for the RZ.

I would posit that the lack of real wood is 100% fine in a mass market brand like Toyota. In a luxury brand like Lexus, on the other hand, it's a bewildering choice given how prevalent it is throughout the rest of the model lineup above and below the TX and GX.
I agree with you habu987. Also, the hybrid and PHEV version does not get a second-row bench (3 person) seat, just the 2 seat captain chairs.

I assume since this is the first-generation TX, maybe on the second year production or even later the second-generation TX would have the option for wood trim, more choice with interior options and exterior colors, etc., leather options, wood trimmed steering wheel option, massaging seats, acoustic glass, triple beam headlights, etc. I want to put down a deposit for the TX 550h+ but as you mentioned the TX is missing many options, choices, etc...

Last edited: