LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
I think it doesn’t matter what many of us think. We know large SUVs no matter the shape color or brand sell. While I might not agree with all the decisions and choices here, I’m also not the target, LX is fine 99% of the time for me. For the mom to dad who wants a Lexus and wants 7 seats and needs more room and wants a car driving experience this will do very well. And the PHEV MPG is impressive. The F Sport Performance will drive circles around the LX on road.

I do agree what bugs me the most is the body colored grill as I would have liked to see a more traditional spindle grill.

Body colored grill is beyond atrocious.

Also, the current LX and new/current GX are only acceptable for families of 4 if all occupants are 5'8" or less. Tiny interior, no front leg room.

Brickhead

Fan
Reactions
Body colored grill is beyond atrocious.

Also, the current LX and new/current GX are only acceptable for families of 4 if all occupants are 5'8" or less. Tiny interior, no front leg room.
Agreed. The grill looks hideous and the whole thing looks cheap. I thought we were done with hideous spindle grills with Akio’s departure. This half-azzed effort is a major disappointment.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 7450
I can't believe the TX renders ended up looking so much better than the real thing 😔

Lol it's not much different from the real thing either. Just one is less bad but still far from acceptable.

This TX design is so f***ing lame even creases and door panels are largely shared. Whoever approved this should feel f***ing ashamed.

20230609_02_05.jpg
2024_Toyota_GrandHighlander_StormCloud_005.jpg

Just noticed even image sizes are identical. Overlap them to see how "unchanged" they are. :poop::poop:

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
They need to, perhaps, include interior colors other than black during their vehicle launches because the all-black does feel a bit sterile, cold, and unwelcoming.
Agreed! There is such a big, positive difference a lighter colour -- and a contrast in colour -- makes. A lighter-coloured interior, especially in a dark warehouse-like introduction space, can really show off little details in interior body panels.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Say all you want, the 8GR PHEV makes the TX the best non-special in the Lexus lineup, it just destroyed the RX 500h, LS 500h and GX 550 in terms of powertrains. The same Grand Highlander does not have V6, so the Lexus IS worth it just for this.

I think the 8GR hybrid is also better than the T24A hybrid.

The fact Lexus new model has a GR engine in the new platform makes it technically possible to have in any other on this platform, from Camry to Crown Sport.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Say all you want, the 8GR PHEV makes the TX the best non-special in the Lexus lineup, it just destroyed the RX 500h, LS 500h and GX 550 in terms of powertrains. The same Grand Highlander does not have V6, so the Lexus IS worth it just for this.

I think the 8GR hybrid is also better than the T24A hybrid.

The fact Lexus new model has a GR engine in the new platform makes it technically possible to have in any other on this platform, from Camry to Crown Sport.
Agreed. Until I saw the 8GR as an option, I wasn’t sure if there was any incentive to buy the TX over the Grand Highlander, but that alone makes it worth it. 3.5 hybrid is the engine to have, and it’s a plug-in to boot. The TX is a practical family hauler, and I think it’ll sell really well. I’d have a serious look at one if I had a family and were in the market for a SUV.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yes I think the TX is one more legacy of the "Toyota First" strategy of the Akio era, and hopefully the last one.
Akio Toyoda was highly reluctant about establishing the TX model, yet he was pressured to create/build it, so it was obvious that the TX was going to be somewhat disappointing.

Not sure where you are getting this. This is a USA demanded product they sorely need and got. A bof sequoia and lx won’t work here. While I agree it’s not perfect at all it was needed badly. And toyota got GH too which they needed

Reactions
Not sure where you are getting this. This is a USA demanded product they sorely need and got. A bof sequoia and lx won’t work here. While I agree it’s not perfect at all it was needed badly. And toyota got GH too which they needed

I think it was 100% the right move to have a crossover three row vs only BOF SUVs. However, the execution feels rushed including the interior. I still think this will be a massive hit for Lexus though, but that's kind of why I myself am a bit disappointed. The RX, TX, and the interior of the GX just don't look competitive because Lexus doesn't feel the need to put in the effort like they used to. Add in all the cost cutting everyone is doing...

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Akio Toyoda was highly reluctant about establishing the TX model, yet he was pressured to create/build it, so it was obvious that the TX was going to be somewhat disappointing.

I'm "getting this" directly from the de facto head honcho himself, Akio Toyoda.

Can Lexus Do ‘Emotional And Cool’ On Future Models?

As Justin Timberlake would say, Lexus wants to get its ‘sexy back’

BY HANS GREIMEL AND AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
PUBLISHED: NOV 2, 2015

lexus-lf-fc-concept-004-51f8f127634ec7b6c85b670a77759dfc3f9cd0ba-0.jpg

"Anxious to boost Lexus' sex appeal, Akio Toyoda is making clear which categories of vehicles will work for the luxury brand and which simply aren't seductive enough.

So what about a Lexus sporty coupe? Yes, that'll work. A premium station wagon? Nope. A stylish sedan? Most definitely.

A seven-seat SUV? Hmm. Mr. Toyoda will have to get back to you."

Lack of sexiness is one reason Lexus won't chase European rivals in offering station wagons, Toyoda says. And it's also a reason to not rush out a family-hauling, seven-seat SUV.

The car guy CEO, whose grandfather founded Lexus' parent company, Toyota, says it is time for the brand to err on the side of emotion, rather than utility.

Interviewed at the Tokyo Motor Show last week, Toyoda said Lexus is entering a new phase symbolized by the LF-FC concept that debuted here, an elegant fuel cell sedan, and the RC coupe launched last year.

"If your focus is selling more cars, as many as possible, a station wagon would be of interest. ... When you say 'emotional and cool,' it's not a station wagon."

The same goes for big, seven-seat SUVs/crossovers that U.S. dealers have been clamoring for, Toyoda said.

"Dealers are telling me that all the time," Toyoda said of requests for a seven-seat crossover. "My answer is: 'That's the Toyota brand.'"

Lexus dealers say they want a three-row crossover to go up against the Infiniti QX70 and Audi Q7."

"Toyoda did not rule out a new seven-seater. But when asked whether he was putting the brakes on the project, he said: "At the moment, yes."

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1879906/lexus-seeks-emotional-and-cool-styling-future-models/

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm "getting this" directly from the de facto head honcho himself, Akio Toyoda.

Can Lexus Do ‘Emotional And Cool’ On Future Models?

As Justin Timberlake would say, Lexus wants to get its ‘sexy back’

BY HANS GREIMEL AND AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
PUBLISHED: NOV 2, 2015

lexus-lf-fc-concept-004-51f8f127634ec7b6c85b670a77759dfc3f9cd0ba-0.jpg

"Anxious to boost Lexus' sex appeal, Akio Toyoda is making clear which categories of vehicles will work for the luxury brand and which simply aren't seductive enough.

So what about a Lexus sporty coupe? Yes, that'll work. A premium station wagon? Nope. A stylish sedan? Most definitely.

A seven-seat SUV? Hmm. Mr. Toyoda will have to get back to you."

Lack of sexiness is one reason Lexus won't chase European rivals in offering station wagons, Toyoda says. And it's also a reason to not rush out a family-hauling, seven-seat SUV.

The car guy CEO, whose grandfather founded Lexus' parent company, Toyota, says it is time for the brand to err on the side of emotion, rather than utility.

Interviewed at the Tokyo Motor Show last week, Toyoda said Lexus is entering a new phase symbolized by the LF-FC concept that debuted here, an elegant fuel cell sedan, and the RC coupe launched last year.

"If your focus is selling more cars, as many as possible, a station wagon would be of interest. ... When you say 'emotional and cool,' it's not a station wagon."

The same goes for big, seven-seat SUVs/crossovers that U.S. dealers have been clamoring for, Toyoda said.

"Dealers are telling me that all the time," Toyoda said of requests for a seven-seat crossover. "My answer is: 'That's the Toyota brand.'"

Lexus dealers say they want a three-row crossover to go up against the Infiniti QX70 and Audi Q7."

"Toyoda did not rule out a new seven-seater. But when asked whether he was putting the brakes on the project, he said: "At the moment, yes."

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1879906/lexus-seeks-emotional-and-cool-styling-future-models/

So to be clear Akio was never pressurized to do anything. He calls the shots. His name is on the door. This article is from 8 years ago. A lot can change. Before Akio Lexus wanted to make a RC convertible and we had a concept. Dealers in the USA begged for a car based suv which became the not planned RX-L.. I assume as sales and consumer tastes continue to change it was a no brainer.

So I won’t argue with an 8 year old article about initial thoughts. But anything that made production Akio personally had to approve and sign off on.

Things change.

MrT

Reactions
What's the difference between 8GR and 2GR. TMC website confirmes 2GR is going into TX?

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
So to be clear Akio was never pressurized to do anything. He calls the shots. His name is on the door.

I don't think you're grasping the actual meaning of "pressured."

pres·sure
verb
past tense: pressured; past participle: pressured
attempt to persuade or coerce (someone) into doing something.

"it might now be possible to pressure him into resigning"

Just because Akio Toyoda called the "shots" & had final say on Lexus models doesn't mean he wasn't" pressurized " by Lexus Dealers/Executives to create a viable luxury, mid-size 3 row SUV. 😆

Before Akio Lexus wanted to make a RC convertible and we had a concept.

So much for the "Akio was never pressurized to do anything" diatribe. 🤣

Report: Lexus Convertible Isn't Happening Because Of Pissed-Off Dealers
By Patrick George Published November 24, 2014

Bad news tonight for fans of angles and golden roofless things: the Lexus LF-C2 Concept, which looked like a boss from the first StarFox, will not enter production, according to a Motor Trend report.

Read more
Despite the fact that everyone (including us) assumed that concept would turn into a convertible version of the Lexus RC Coupe, sources within told Motor Trend that because Lexus' dealers clamored for a three-row crossover instead of a convertible — the former is a volume-seller and the latter just a niche — resources were put toward that instead.

If the LF-C2 looks close to production, it's because it was, the report says. Apparently the concept was planned years ago before the future plans were scuttled over dealer concerns.

In fact, dealers were in full-on "revolt" over the fact that they might get a convertible coupe over a three-row RX crossover.
I'd love to know what a Lexus dealer revolt looked like. Probably a lot of middle-aged guys in bad suits throwing bottles of white wine on the ground, I dunno. From the story:

The result of the revolt is that Lexus has just begun work on a three-row crossover based on the upcoming LS platform. As that's a rear-wheel-drive platform, this will make the upcoming Lexus vehicle competitive with the likes of the aforementioned Mercedes GL and Audi Q7, as well as the Infiniti QX80. Since it's a crossover (like the two mentioned), it will have superior packaging to vehicles like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. Factor in economies of scale, and building the new three-row CUV off the platform intended for the LS and the LF-LC (probably to be renamed the SC) coupe will decrease costs for all three vehicles.

https://jalopnik.com/report-lexus-convertible-isnt-happening-because-of-pis-1662924022

Things change.
And water is wet.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
What's the difference between 8GR and 2GR. TMC website confirmes 2GR is going into TX?
2GR-FXS in the RX450H produced 260hp/247lb-ft. 8GR-FXS in LS500H produces 295hp/260lb-ft. Not sure about the technicality but I can't say which engine they're using for the TX. Can anyone specify if they have any info?

Reactions: MrT

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
The worst part of TX is the front facial, too soft! Unibody family SUV can also look good, for example Kia Telluride, Grand Highlander, Ford Explorer.

The interior design has nothing wrong, but too plain.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The LC is one of the best looking cars, but I think a TTV8 LF-1 would have been more useful for Lexus.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
The LC is one of the best looking cars, but I think a TTV8 LF-1 would have been more useful for Lexus.

Well at least you can get the same 22 inch alloy wheel design from the LF-1 concept on the TX F Sport Performance model now. 🤣😂

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
At least we know "sexiness" and 3-row SUV are not mutually exclusive concepts. Mazda just demonstrated that. The TX doesn't have to be underwhelming and boring.