Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I might be in the minority here, but I think TX is extremely disappointing. I am not in the buyer demographic for this vehicle and they'll print money as soon as it goes on sale, but a few things:
  • Front end is bad - no way around it. Single projector LED? Lexus has been doing triple projectors on top models for fifteen years. Triple LEDs would have really changed the face and they're not even an option? Looks cheap.
    • Horizontal grille slats looks horrible here. The integration and design are both bad.
  • The rest of the exterior design is also pretty bad or bland depending on the angle IMO, outside of the rear end. Side profile and detailing looks very 2010-2012 to me... not sharp or purposeful like Lexus designs have become in the last 5 years. What happened?
  • Interior I think looks shockingly downmarket - it looks like a Toyota to me from pics. I've been noticing this lately and I feel the same way about the GX interior, but I'm seeing the "luxury" disappear from Lexus interiors and that's disappointing.
    • I don't see any wood trim anywhere? Even if you're not into wood, the detailing is quite basic and bland.
    • Door panels are very flat and basic like a mainstream product - no "luxury" detailing or design here.
    • Second row seats even look very flat and not bolstered at all - what gives?
    • I would venture to say that the Grand Highlander Platinum has a much nicer interior that looks more luxurious than the TX.
  • 275hp and 317lb-ft in everything from the NX to the Tacoma to now their flagship crossover? Would it have killed them to go to 300hp? Just underwhelming.
  • "500h" only available as FSP like the RX? There are going to be a lot of people who don't want a straight up turbo 4 but do want a Premium or Luxury model for the price and for the power. What is the plan here...?
  • I like the F SPORT wheels... pulled right off the December 2021 EV concepts which is pretty cool.

Overall, I was expecting a lot of platform engineering and parts bin sharing for the TX, but this kind of looks like worst-case scenario all the way around when it could have been a lot more than that. I was thinking this might be a big problem for Acura but... I'd rather have an MDX for many reasons. X7 and GLS have nothing to worry about.

Which one of these looks like the Toyota and which one looks like the Lexus?

2024-toyota-grandhighlander-platinum-portobello-002-647652159706c.jpg

1686269550394-png.7362

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota must be feeding insider information to them or some high level person is leaking information on the down low. The number of times I've thought BestCar info was a bit outlandish but turned out to be true is more than I can count (granted they have been wrong about a few things here and there).
The Crown lineup being expanded into 4 models took me by insane surprise when BestCar reported on it over a year before it happened.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm ashamed of myself for thinking it was a T24A-FTS Plug-In.
The only logical thing I can think of is the TX won't be sold in any market with displacement taxes. But I still wonder where would they source the engine now that their plants in USA are fully converted to T24. Will they import the entire powertrain from Japan?

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
I might be in the minority here, but I think TX is extremely disappointing. I am not in the buyer demographic for this vehicle and they'll print money as soon as it goes on sale, but a few things:
  • Front end is bad - no way around it. Single projector LED? Lexus has been doing triple projectors on top models for fifteen years. Triple LEDs would have really changed the face and they're not even an option? Looks cheap.
    • Horizontal grille slats looks horrible here. The integration and design are both bad.
  • The rest of the exterior design is also pretty bad or bland depending on the angle IMO, outside of the rear end. Side profile and detailing looks very 2010-2012 to me... not sharp or purposeful like Lexus designs have become in the last 5 years. What happened?
  • Interior I think looks shockingly downmarket - it looks like a Toyota to me from pics. I've been noticing this lately and I feel the same way about the GX interior, but I'm seeing the "luxury" disappear from Lexus interiors and that's disappointing.
    • I don't see any wood trim anywhere? Even if you're not into wood, the detailing is quite basic and bland.
    • Door panels are very flat and basic like a mainstream product - no "luxury" detailing or design here.
    • I would venture to say that the Grand Highlander Platinum has a much nicer interior that looks more luxurious than the TX.
  • 275hp and 317lb-ft in everything from the NX to the Tacoma to now their flagship crossover? Would it have killed them to go to 300hp? Just underwhelming.
  • "500h" only available as FSP like the RX? There are going to be a lot of people who don't want a straight up turbo 4 but do want a Premium or Luxury model for the price and for the power. What is the plan here...?
  • I like the F SPORT wheels... pulled right off the December 2021 EV concepts which is pretty cool.

Overall, I was expecting a lot of platform engineering and parts bin sharing for the TX, but this kind of looks like worst-case scenario all the way around when it could have been a lot more than that. I was thinking this might be a big problem for Acura but... I'd rather have an MDX for many reasons. X7 and GLS have nothing to worry about.

1686269550394-png.7362

Agree. Doesn't seem special at all. They should've just given the USA the Lexus Minivan and scrapped this. Front end looks like it was from an early 90's Lexus. Interior is meh, but definitely seems downmarket.

GX, exterior wise, is an absolute home run in every single way. Have to wait to see it live, but interior also seems kinda meh and like Lexus just phoned it in.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
GX is a billion times better than this cost-cutting piece of ____.
This thing screams Toyota from every angle lmao.

Tyronne M

Fan
Reactions

1686269550394-png.7362

Absolutely agree with everything you said ... terribly disappointing as I was definitely planning to buy this immediately it became available. Both the exterior and interior looks extraordinarily bland and meh! As you pointed out, the Toyota GH looks far more luxurious. Truly hoping this thing looks a lot better in person than in the pics/video released so far.

Reactions
Agree. Doesn't seem special at all. They should've just given the USA the Lexus Minivan and scrapped this. Front end looks like it was from an early 90's Lexus. Interior is meh, but definitely seems downmarket.

GX, exterior wise, is an absolute home run in every single way. Have to wait to see it live, but interior also seems kinda meh and like Lexus just phoned it in.
They need to, perhaps, include interior colors other than black during their vehicle launches because the all-black does feel a bit sterile, cold, and unwelcoming.

Edit: And too bad the RX couldn’t get the V6 plug-in hybrid Powertrain. There’s a ton of discontinuity regarding the hybridization or lack thereof on the Lexus side and I feel it could be much more simple.
Lexus: 2.0L Hybrid, 2.5L Hybrid, 2.5L Plug-in, 2.4T Hybrid, 3.5L Plug-in Hybrid, 3.5L Multi-Stage Hybrid. Some with eCVTs, some with 6AT, some with 4AT+CVT. None with 10 or 8AT, like on the Toyota side.

Toyota: Most of the above (with the most-recent gen batteries and hybrid system), and the 3.5TT Hybrid.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’m extremely surprised by the 3.5 V6 being an option. I did not see that coming. I like that Lexus has the V6 as an option though.

I agree with the above comments regarding the interior. It looks very cheap. I actually like the Grand Highlander dash better. This seems to be the trend with all newer Lexus vehicles, and I’m not a fan at all. The LM shows that Toyota has the capability of making really nice interiors, and I wish that LM design philosophy would trickle down to the rest of the Lexus lineup.

I like the exterior much better than the Grand Highlander. I never liked the protruding RAV4esq taillights on the Grand Highlander, and the Lexus rear end is much more appealing to me.

I love that incognito color!

I feel like the TX is kinda a half-baked attempt by Lexus, but maybe they’re just testing the waters to see what sort of market there’s for a large unibody “luxury” SUV.

Reactions

1686269550394-png.7362

100% Lexus has been phoning it in lately and getting away with it because they've built up so much goodwill over the years.

All their new interiors seem to have taken a step back when everyone else seems to be maintaining or giving a little more in terms of design or material choices. take out the L badge on any of the current SUV lineup and most people would just say it's a toyota. Theyll still sell every single one they make though.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's exactly like I thought: the RX L done correctly. It nails the one thing it absolutely had to, the interior room. @mikeavelli being able to sit comfortably in the 3rd row (which reclines!) was pleasantly shocking, and kudos to him for doing it. It's not my favorite Lexus front end, but I like it better than the RX. I'm going to need to see the interior options when the configurator goes up to decide on how it looks, but how it functions is a home run. USB ports and cupholders everywhere, 110 volt outlet in the back, power moving/folding seats for getting into the third row, and the room in the third row is epic.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Some still don’t get it, 8GR is not 2GR. Crown sedan is definitely getting 8GR hybrid. Good to know K platform is engineered for GR V6. TX 550h+ is Lexus first iteration of plug-in V6.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I believe with the TX all Lexus vehicles have the new Lexus interface now? So it had to look like the rest. I assume any new interior design direction starts elsewhere.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I hate to brag about this all the time but why does current Lexus interior feel like a generation behind the competitor? (Not trying to sound like I'm a German sucker)
Isn't it what Lexus is best at? Not saying I liked every element (eg. tablet gauge...) but notice the use of different materials and lightings.

Apart from the LC I'm not satisfied the rest of Lexus' interior.

23C0129_020.jpg

P90506217-highRes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
I hate to brag about this all the time but why does current Lexus interior feel like a generation behind the competitor? Isn't it what Lexus is best at? Not saying I liked every element (eg. tablet gauge...) but notice the use of different materials and lightings.

View attachment 7404

View attachment 7405

The BMW looks similar to the best Lexus interiors. The Mercedes is a pile of sh*t though.

Reactions
yeah for a new generation or all-new in the case of the TX, I was hoping the RX interior was just because it's still a bit entry level. For the GX and TX to be in the $60k plus range, they really should be matching the newest from BMW and MB. Even if you compare the mid cycle X5/GLE, they still look more luxury than what Lexus is doing

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
yeah for a new generation or all-new in the case of the TX, I was hoping the RX interior was just because it's still a bit entry level. For the GX and TX to be in the $60k plus range, they really should be matching the newest from BMW and MB. Even if you compare the mid cycle X5/GLE, they still look more luxury than what Lexus is doing

No contest. Look at the coverage of wood and leather, aluminum speaker grills, alcantara suede headliner, modern iDrive UI.
TX is slightly cheaper I'll give it that. Because it has to be~

P90457315_highRes_the-new-bmw-x7-04-20.jpg

Reactions
I hate to brag about this all the time but why does current Lexus interior feel like a generation behind the competitor? (Not trying to sound like I'm a German sucker)
Isn't it what Lexus is best at? Not saying I liked every element (eg. tablet gauge...) but notice the use of different materials and lightings.

View attachment 7404

View attachment 7405
Hard disagree. Mercedes' 64-color LED lighting means you're stuck with the most jarring hue of any color and the BMW interior looks like it's LEED® Platinum certified