Brickhead

Fan
Reactions
More teasers from Lexus. Scroll to the bottom. Looks like the ladder grille is real.

Will1991

Reactions
@Gecko following your comment on the LBX topic this also show how the evolution of the spindle grill is going to be - differentiation per model.

We're getting several types of it, maybe to have further model differentiation? I love it, it's a different approach than the competition that basically get's the same design everywhere, inside and out, only with different sizes.

Lexus isn't perfect but it does tries to give each segment different things.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really don’t like the newer grills man. Am I the only one?

No - I was thinking about this before myself. It's too early to be sure with the TX, but I don't really care much for how it's looking so far.

The front end is Forrester shaped, I think the open space above the lower grill (same as LBX) looks stupid, the horizontal grill bars look worse than they do on the LX, and the design of the sides just looks like it would have come out 10 years ago. I hope the headlight has 2-3 projectors clustered together (like the LC), because it's now clear that it doesn't have the 3 horizontal projectors we've become accustomed to (LS, GX, LX, RX), and I think just one projector -- or a single circular projector housing? -- is going to look very downmarket.

Front end overall is giving Mortal Kombat Sub Zero:

717VPfSGEeL._AC_SY879_.jpg

For the grilles themselves, I don't like the RX, LBX or TX as much as what they "could" have looked like with traditional spindles. At the same time, I realize Lexus has research and feedback that some folks didn't like the spindle, so maybe I'm in the minority here. The spindle grill cars were a nice mix of hard lines and curves but the cars with the new front ends look sort of bulbous and soft in the wrong places to me.

At the same time, I do give Lexus credit and praise for trying new things with their grilles - shapes, textures, sizes, etc. It's definitely keeping things interesting and "new" where with some of the competition, you have to squint to figure out if it's a new model or one that's 5 years old.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I would've liked to see what they come up with the production version of the "Big Architecture Spindle" introduced by the LF-1/LS+ concepts.. but honestly not sure if that would've been better than the split/deconstructed spindle they're going for.

I do like this a lot more on the TX/LBX than the RX though.. the RX's upper grille treatment just feels very questionable and half-assed given it's a separate piece but body colour.. feels like a last minute change they had made to keep the spindle looking up to date.