Reactions
I think some of the issue here is while say Acura will only show and advertise a mdx type s racing in the desert drifting and on track, Lexus doesn’t show that approach with the TX. The ads are more revolved about family. The thing is I have driven them all and in particular the 500h is a blast for a vehicle that size and weight. The 550h+ is right behind it.

It drives smaller than it is, the engine pulls hard, the rear steer is great the direct 4 is a blast. It drives just like the RX 500h which is a blast but another Lexus getting lost in the fun and performance shuttle.

Note I didn’t say 350 because it drives like a traditional Lexus from the past. Comfy but not sporty.
Does the TX500h get the mpg advertised? Apparently most ppl only get like 25 on the rx fsp

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
For those like me who was looking for a upscale luxurious SUV, the TX is definitely not that. This is more for the richer soccer-moms! I am hoping that Lexus will eventually come out with a flagship SUV (equivalent to the LS) that is NOT focused for the off-road audience. I believe there is a market for a reliable luxurious upscale SUVs for families not interested in off-roading and hope Lexus eventually brings a SUV for that section of the market.

that's the LF1 that we've all been waiting but alas they are just too busy milking these soccer moms' mobile

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
This might be shocking or new to you, but every single brand is milking soccer mom mobiles. Not just Lexus. The TX is late to the party as a matter of fact.

yea sure but the fact that every top luxury brand has a Bentayga fighter besides volume seller (eg. GLS Maybach, XM and RS Q8 in some sense) and Lexus' decision missing out on this huge market is potentially hurting their brand reputation in the long run.

mikeavelli

Reactions
yea sure but the fact that every top luxury brand has a Bentayga fighter besides volume seller (eg. GLS Maybach, XM and RS Q8 in some sense) and Lexus' decision missing out on this huge market is potentially hurting their brand reputation in the long run.

Not discounting that. The TX is finally here and looking at intial data it’s flying off lots and it seems the majority of buyers are conquest sales. Maybe in the future a TNGA-L SUV.

To which people will complain Lexus is making another soccer mom mobile lol.

Reactions
Just took the TX350 (Executive package) for a test-drive at my local Lexus dealership in Canada. Drive is pretty smooth and power is more than sufficient for average users. Screen is wonderful and truly one of the highlights. Finishes are pretty nice, but the monochrome interior colour scheme is a bit of a let-down. Space is pretty overrated. I am 5 foot 10 and while I could fit into the third row, I am pretty sure I could not survive more than an hour there. Second row space was ok but not great. My wife is 5 foot 9 and I had her sit in the third row and myself in second row. We both fit in, but cannot say we were super comfortable. With third row up, one can fit in one suitcase in the back. With third row down, you can put in a ton of stuff (3 suitcases or more), but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a 3-row SUV. Overall my feeling was Lexus cut some corners to make the TX affordable and make this appeal to the masses. I believe for the price, the TX is definitely worth as you get a decent SUV with a smooth drive and the Lexus reliability. TX is definitely a better deal than the RX. For those like me who was looking for a upscale luxurious SUV, the TX is definitely not that. This is more for the richer soccer-moms! I am hoping that Lexus will eventually come out with a flagship SUV (equivalent to the LS) that is NOT focused for the off-road audience. I believe there is a market for reliable luxurious upscale SUVs for families not interested in off-roading and hope Lexus eventually brings a SUV for that section of the market.
I completely agree. I really want an escalade competitor that runs on Lexus Solid State! It would get killer range, be insanely luxurious without compromising on space, and be reliable as well.

Reactions
Not discounting that. The TX is finally here and looking at intial data it’s flying off lots and it seems the majority of buyers are conquest sales. Maybe in the future a TNGA-L SUV.

To which people will complain Lexus is making another soccer mom mobile lol.
I wouldn't be too sure about a TNGA L SUV considering their electrification goals. I would hope for a solid-state escalade iq rivaling hypermiler.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Toyota now has a competitor to the Bentayga -- the Century SUV.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Bentayga is also riding on the same platform as a FWD A7 and the plug-in hybrid variant is also a V6.

I don't know much about the difference between longitudinal FF/AWD and transverse FF/AWD maybe @ssun30 can provide us insights on that. But one thing I'm certain though is that one is based off of premium brand platform (Q8), and the other one is derived from its mass-produced sibiling (grand highlander). That's a massive difference to anyone's eyes. Not to mention the lack of V8 let alone W12 engine options.

How about lets put it this way. Supposedly someone had the money to purchase you either of the above, which one would you pick? I think it's a no brainer.

Reactions
I think doing an even bigger TX would be a great idea. If I remember correctly, the TX kind of sits in between sizes of the X5/X7. The X7/GLS are quit a bit smaller than the Yukon/Escalade/Navigator, so lexus has another opportunity there.

Reactions
I think doing an even bigger TX would be a great idea. If I remember correctly, the TX kind of sits in between sizes of the X5/X7. The X7/GLS are quit a bit smaller than the Yukon/Escalade/Navigator, so lexus has another opportunity there.
Yeah something bigger but much more luxurious. At this stage they should just gun for the Escalade IQ as an electric flagship. Maybe an LX could be based on that same platform, but it should be BOF.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
I don't know much about the difference between longitudinal FF/AWD and transverse FF/AWD
Not relevant enough for the topic at hand. How the engine is mounted wouldn't change it from FWD to RWD. Subaru for example mounts their boxer engines longitudinally in their FWD based cars.
one is based off of premium brand platform (Q8), and the other one is derived from its mass-produced sibiling (grand highlander)
Nice of you to completely gloss over the Touareg but specifically mention the GH over the TX. Not so massive now huh? Besides, there's a bigger difference between the Century and the vehicle it's based on than the Bentayga. Not only is it hand-built and completely bespoke, the cargo area is separated by laminated glass from the cabin. The only other vehicle that I can think of that does this is the Cullinan.
Not to mention the lack of V8 let alone W12 engine options
I concur here, but in plug-in hybrid format they both share V6's and the Century is going BEV anyways.
which one would you pick
toyota-century-suv-convertible-teaser.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota missed an opportunity by not making the Sequoia a global model ("Land Cruiser Max") to compete against Armada/QX80.

They were too obsessed with the 2850mm golden wheelbase when Nissan has that LWB SUV market to itself outside of NA. I don think GCC/SEA/Africa customers are that strict with not going up in size.

And now they are in a situation where LC300 is almost same size as LC250 and Lexus lacks a true flagship.

Last week I tested a Sequoia Capstone and it makes me feel Lexus really missed an opportunity here.