Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota missed an opportunity by not making the Sequoia a global model ("Land Cruiser Max") to compete against Armada/QX80.

They were too obsessed with the 2850mm golden wheelbase when Nissan has that LWB SUV market to itself outside of NA. I don think GCC/SEA/Africa customers are that strict with not going up in size.

And now they are in a situation where LC300 is almost same size as LC250 and Lexus lacks a true flagship.

Last week I tested a Sequoia Capstone and it makes me feel Lexus really missed an opportunity here.

The Sequoia has no more usable cargo space than the LX/Land Cruiser 300 due to the packaging and placement of the batteries, so I'm not sure it's really better suited to battle the Armada/Patrol in that area than the LC 300.

Toyota really placed their bets on GH and TX being the draw for those seeking cargo space while not offering the full size BOF SUV a lot of folks were hoping for.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Sequoia has no more usable cargo space than the LX/Land Cruiser 300 due to the packaging and placement of the batteries, so I'm not sure it's really better suited to battle the Armada/Patrol in that area than the LC 300.

Toyota really placed their bets on GH and TX being the draw for those seeking cargo space while not offering the full size BOF SUV a lot of folks were hoping for.
The 300 series doesn't have a hybrid version. And if it does it won't have 3 rows.

Toyota decided to go back to solid rear axle for the Sequoia. It is a mistake. The target demographics don't do hardcore offroading because it's too big. With IRS the Sequoia can have a low enough floor for usable 3rd row and cargo.

Toyota knows most people won't be using the full capacity of the vehicle. But right now if someone needs to carry a full family, luggage AND tow a lot of loads they are forced to shop from another brand. The GH/TX can carry people and luggage, the LC300 can carry people and tow, the Tundra can carry cargo and tow, the Sequoia can do all three but poorly.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I see the SRA on the Sequoia as a cost reduction measure, and no IRS on the LC300 the same way. IRS has proven itself.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
Toyota missed an opportunity by not making the Sequoia a global model
They did export the Sequoia to the GCC back in 2009 till 2016 then discontinued it for some reason. Choosing not to export the Tundra is a bigger mistake IMO. Full size pickup trucks are popular in the region (namely the GMC Sierra) and the Tundra would be an immediate sales success given how deeply rooted the brand is here. In fact there are quite a few imported Tundra's around so there's no excuse for Toyota. It's even more mind numbing when you find out they're sending the Tundra over to Australia and converting it to RHD there.
The 300 series doesn't have a hybrid version. And if it does it won't have 3 rows.
Yet, and it'll keep the third row when it comes out.
and no IRS on the LC300 the same way
They're not cost cutting on the LC300. They simply opted for a solid axle over independent suspension for the rear even though I agree it should've moved to independent suspension, or at least made one to use in the LX for example.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
They're not cost cutting on the LC300. They simply opted for a solid axle over independent suspension for the rear even though I agree it should've moved to independent suspension, or at least made one to use in the LX for example.
I am not saying they put a “cheap” SRA, just that is it cheaper/easier than finally making an IRS.

As for general cost cutting, I see no other reason for going from split-gate that has been done on the Landcruuser Wagon for 4 generations and give it a lift-gate. BMW X5 kept it, and Cullinan got the same.

Reactions
I have decided not to get the Lexus TX Plug-In. It is just too compromised and expensive for what it offers. We are now looking at the Lucid Gravity—440 miles of range and basically the same space inside. It is also cheaper to run and more comfy/luxurious.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I don't know much about the difference between longitudinal FF/AWD and transverse FF/AWD maybe @ssun30 can provide us insights on that. But one thing I'm certain though is that one is based off of premium brand platform (Q8), and the other one is derived from its mass-produced sibiling (grand highlander). That's a massive difference to anyone's eyes. Not to mention the lack of V8 let alone W12 engine options.

How about lets put it this way. Supposedly someone had the money to purchase you either of the above, which one would you pick? I think it's a no brainer.
Volkswagen and Toyota are very similar automakers. They are both successful automakers in large part because they have learned how to share powertrains and platforms across many different models, both mass market and premium models and brands, and how to hide the fact that their more expensive, premium brands share platforms with less-expensive, mass market brands.

Yes, the Century SUV shares a platform with a Highlander (and a Camry and a RAV4) but I have no doubt that if you drove the Century -- without knowing that it shares a platform with the RAV4 -- you would not be able to say that "it drives just like a RAV4".

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Pros: Relatively quiet, good body control (for its price), space
Cons: "rattly @ss 4 cyl that sounded something out of a 30K car" and no better MPG than German 6s :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions

Pros: Relatively quiet, good body control (for its price), space
Cons: "rattly @ss 4 cyl that sounded something out of a 30K car" and no better MPG than German 6s :ROFLMAO:

This is not good journalism. They need to put 350 in the title. They drove the 350. They are making it seem it’s just one engine. The 500h and 550 drive substantially different.

They are not mentioning 350, they are just saying TX.

Also you don’t like the TX and if you are going to just beat a dead horse that other site is likely better for you.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
This is not good journalism. They need to put 350 in the title. They drove the 350. They are making it seem it’s just one engine. The 500h and 550 drive substantially different.

Also you don’t like the TX and if you are going to just beat a dead horse that other site is likely better for you.
That was my first thought (without watching the video): What powertrain are they testing? In my experience (not with the TX, mind you), the hybrid powertrain really smooths out the engine and fuel economy is excellent.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

I was just quoting their words exactly pls don't hate on me lol. They praised the ride and the quietness being the best for its competing class and they did say to always go with the hybrid for added refinement (from their past experience). That said a 4 cyl is still a 4 cyl doesn't matter if hybrid can smooth out the response it's still going to sound like @ss. Ofc I'm well aware the plug-in has that silky V6 everyone wants but pricing is still up in the air I have a feeling it will end up beyond 80k. At that point it no longer makes much sense when there are better offerings out there for just a little more but then again I may be totally wrong on that. There's no denying the 500 and 550 are better but this 350 is a lot more indicative of what the majority of buyers are buying.

mikeavelli

Reactions
That was my first thought (without watching the video): What powertrain are they testing? In my experience (not with the TX, mind you), the hybrid powertrain really smooths out the engine and fuel economy is excellent.

A few comments say the same thing. Then they brought up comparing a mdx type s while driving the 350. Someone mentioned it and said that was really odd.

They really should edit the title and image to TX 350. There are 3 distinctive grades which they fail to really emphasize.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
A few comments say the same thing. Then they brought up comparing a mdx type s while driving the 350. Someone mentioned it and said that was really odd.

They really should edit the title and image to TX 350. There are 3 distinctive grades which they fail to really emphasize.

They were comparing them only because the MDX was their long term test vehicle. If you watched it through they did say it's a smaller vehicle and it shouldn't be viewed as the same class but they did the comparison anyway just for interest.
They usually include engine grades for their videos they just forgot to do it on this one.

*edit: I read through the comments a bit it's no surprise that everyone hated the 4 popper so much lol. I feel like it would be somewhat justified if it sounded a lot closer to German or even Volvo's I4 with better MPGs. It really baffles me how they were able to make the best sounding V8 and V10 on the planet but not even remotely bothered with their 4s.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I thought their review was pretty positive overall - they say it's better than pretty much everything else in the class short of an X7, and I think most of us can agree X7 isn't exactly in the same class. High marks for the TX 350's space, luxury, features and handling/driving dynamics.

A base X7 with the B58 starts at $82k, almost $20k more than a loaded TX 350 Luxury.

I think it's a shame there is no 500h powertrain on the Luxury model because it seems like the powertrain is the only thing they didn't really like, and I don't blame them. I would never in my life pay over $50k for a turbo 4cyl anything with no hybrid/batteries... but I am not the target market for the TX, and I think those people don't really care. If they do, they're buying the 500h.

Watching Mark fling Lexus' largest CUV around 90 degree corners in the farmland of Illinois - and still give it high praise for driving dynamics - is not something I ever expected to see or hear.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I thought their review was pretty positive overall - they say it's better than pretty much everything else in the class short of an X7, and I think most of us can agree X7 isn't exactly in the same class. High marks for the TX 350's space, luxury, features and handling/driving dynamics.

A base X7 with the B58 starts at $82k, almost $20k more than a loaded TX 350 Luxury.

I think it's a shame there is no 500h powertrain on the Luxury model because it seems like the powertrain is the only thing they didn't really like, and I don't blame them. I would never in my life pay over $50k for a turbo 4cyl anything with no hybrid/batteries... but I am not the target market for the TX, and I think those people don't really care. If they do, they're buying the 500h.

Watching Mark fling Lexus' largest CUV around 90 degree corners in the farmland of Illinois - and still give it high praise for driving dynamics - is not something I ever expected to see or hear.

I think it just needs to say TX 350. That’s what they reviewed. I didn’t say it was a bad review. But it’s not an accurate full representation when there are 3 models with 3 different engines and 2 different AWD systems.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They were comparing them only because the MDX was their long term test vehicle. If you watched it through they did say it's a smaller vehicle and it shouldn't be viewed as the same class but they did the comparison anyway just for interest.
They usually include engine grades for their videos they just forgot to do it on this one.

*edit: I read through the comments a bit it's no surprise that everyone hated the 4 popper so much lol. I feel like it would be somewhat justified if it sounded a lot closer to German or even Volvo's I4 with better MPGs. It really baffles me how they were able to make the best sounding V8 and V10 on the planet but not even remotely bothered with their 4s.

I did watch it. I understand they have the long term type s but to even bring it up against driving a 350 is odd. Me thinks they didn’t really sit down and go through all the TX has to offer. Or maybe they couldn’t get a 500h for now. Not sure how the mdx isn’t in the same class it’s a 7 seater even if it’s smaller.

I just think the review should say 350 specially. That is all.

Reactions
Re SG video, @0:51 “a fully loaded 500h Fsport is pushing over $70k, a substantial price premium over the GH.” @5:40 “the next flavor is the 500h, .. iforceMax .. big difference is Fsport as standard.. Gets AVS and Rear steer. …Last flavor plug-in hybrid which is not out yet, not going to talk about it because we haven’t driven it.” @10:16 “this is best bought as a hybrid“. @13:58, “if you have the money and you don’t care that this is $20k more than the GH, this is better to live with, it’s just worth the extra money.”

Reactions

I like the 550h+ a lot. I really do. I am not sure if it is worth 80k. I am thinking if I spend that much am I better of getting a lucid gravity?

Reactions

They normally produce pretty good journalism in my opinion. I personally think that the TX is good but it left me desiring for more. It will sell like hotcakes and lexus knows that well. Since you have driven that do you think the f sport is befitting of the size?

Reactions

The TX Plug-In and the X7 Will be in the same league tho.