2022 Honda Civic

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The new Civic hybrid pairs a newly developed 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle engine with two compact electric motors. The combined output is 181 horsepower (135 kilowatts) and 232 pound-feet (315 Newton-meters) of torque. The Civic also carries the company's new 72-cell lithium-ion battery pack. Honda says that the improvements it made to the engine help the car achieve "one of the highest" thermal efficiency figures for a production car.
Cant tell how this stacks up to the corolla hybrid. I'm assuming this is more of the same like the CRV hybrid which doesnt do honda any favors.

Reactions

Cant tell how this stacks up to the corolla hybrid. I'm assuming this is more of the same like the CRV hybrid which doesnt do honda any favors.

That's great performance. 232 lb-ft of torque? That's insane.

We know that Toyota will put in the 2.0L with the 5th generation hybrid system in the Corolla in the future, with over 190 (closer to 200) horsepower but the torque being unknown.

I'd actually be so excited to see these two duke it out. I can't believe I'm excited over compact hybrid sedan battles but here we go.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

It does look like it holds its line very well through the corners, for this gen CTR they're using 265 mm wide Michelin PS4S tires. I don't know if it's just me, but it sounds like the tires are skipping off the road surface when going over the bumpy sections of the track, I hope it isn't like the CTR LE where the suspension setup(mainly the dampers) is so stiff that tires can't even grip the properly when roads are bumpy.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Probably just me being an a-hole, but everytime I see a car manufacturer boasts about their " FWD lap record", it makes me laugh.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Impressive in its own right, but what did the outgoing type R do on this track?

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Always deeply impressed with what Honda does with their Front-Drive performance cars. Out of the current crop of hot-hatches and the like, I'm sure this new one with feel just quite special, and as capable against even some RWD competition as evidenced by this neat metric.
Current Suzuka FWD lap record is just 0.1 slower than 997 GT3 RS

mikeavelli

Reactions
Dude this slander is getting a bit too much don't you think? It's a freakin' 911 for crying out loud. And the 997 was one of the best 911's ever.

That's like getting angry at the GR Supra for being quicker than a Ferrari F430.
Notice Toyota doesn’t say things like “the GR Supra laps faster than a F40” showing a camouflaged supra.

Reactions
Notice Toyota doesn’t say things like “the GR Supra laps faster than a F40” showing a camouflaged supra.

But Honda didn't say that... @mediumhot did...

Also, do you know how impressive it would be if the GR Supra lapped something like a Ferrari Enzo given its very attainable price point?

Point is, the 997 GT3 RS was an absolute masterpiece. Honda having the fastest FWD time on numerous tracks and is also right up there with a 997 GT3 RS? Damn dude that's good.

I get you really dislike Honda, I'm also not the biggest Honda fan either, but I give credit where credit is due, because Honda is capable of making some amazing cars as well.

And objectively this new Type R will be amazing. The GR Corolla stole its thunder with the reveal, and also because it's a damn GR product that's balls to the wall insane, but don't expect Honda to not pull back any punches. They'll punch hard because they've been huge in this part of the market.

mikeavelli

Reactions
But Honda didn't say that... @mediumhot did...

Also, do you know how impressive it would be if the GR Supra lapped something like a Ferrari Enzo given its very attainable price point?

Point is, the 997 GT3 RS was an absolute masterpiece. Honda having the fastest FWD time on numerous tracks and is also right up there with a 997 GT3 RS? Damn dude that's good.

I get you really dislike Honda, I'm also not the biggest Honda fan either, but I give credit where credit is due, because Honda is capable of making some amazing cars as well.

And objectively this new Type R will be amazing. The GR Corolla stole its thunder with the reveal, and also because it's a damn GR product that's balls to the wall insane, but don't expect Honda to not pull back any punches. They'll punch hard because they've been huge in this part of the market.

Ah thanks for the clarification. I’m a Civic Type-R fan tbh and I think i’ve stated that here. That said it’s still hard to get that excited about fwd.

I mean with the improvements in just tire technology, a new Altima probably laps faster than a F40 haha

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I mean, Yaris GRMN laps Tsukuba faster than a 992 GT3 and stock GT-R.

CTR lapping faster than a 997 GT3 on a track with high speed sections is pretty impressive. Tsukuba is naturally biased towards small nimble cars with short gears and low top speed.

Reactions
Ah thanks for the clarification. I’m a Civic Type-R fan tbh and I think i’ve stated that here. That said it’s still hard to get that excited about fwd.

I mean with the improvements in just tire technology, a new Altima probably laps faster than a F40 haha
Oh no it won't be. I'll bet my kidneys on that.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'm just glad that the upcoming CTR won't look like a rice rocket, the FK8 looks just a bit too ridiculous IMO, while the new CTR looks more like a modern Touring Car that got toned down to be street legal and suitable for mass production. With how serious Honda of Japan is with the CTR, I bet it can outgun the Z on the racetrack will little fuss.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm just glad that the upcoming CTR won't look like a rice rocket, the FK8 looks just a bit too ridiculous IMO, while the new CTR looks more like a modern Touring Car that got toned down to be street legal and suitable for mass production. With how serious Honda of Japan is with the CTR, I bet it can outgun the Z on the racetrack will little fuss.
I honestly love the crazy look lol. It really appeals to me. Roomy too.

Ironically the sportiest Honda was made in the UK and this new one Ohio. Meanwhile the GR Corolla is made in a dedicated GR factory.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I honestly love the crazy look lol. It really appeals to me. Roomy too.

Ironically the sportiest Honda was made in the UK and this new one Ohio. Meanwhile the GR Corolla is made in a dedicated GR factory.
Honda's situation in Japan is really weird, people there are viewing them as more of a Suzuki competitor than a Toyota and Nissan competitor, like they put so much of their effort into their K-cars that they end up overshadowing their normal sized cars, and then the sales of some their normal cars that are manufactured in Japan drop down to a point where have to cancel those models, without other vehicles to take up the production capacity in some their factories, their only option left is to just shut off those factories so they won't keep losing money, right now they've pretty much no longer have a suitable factory in Japan to produce high performance cars without needing costly and time-consuming retooling.