2022 Acura Integra

mikeavelli

Reactions
Honda knows the media will likely defend it no matter what junk they make so they can get away on the PR side. It has always worked before so why would they think otherwise?

Honda trend. Super street. R&T etc all trying their best to not call it out. Then you read the comments and 90% of them absolutely hate the car. It’s obvious they are throwing softballs and fluff to protect it.

I don’t want to hear the “coupes don’t sell” crap when even Lexus has two coupes. Toyota has two. Nissan has two. Germans many. Stop making excuses for Honda being lame. WITH NO ACCORD OE CIVIC COUPE THIS WAS THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE THE INTEGRA AN ADVANTAGE. Instead we got a crosstour. Another Sedan.

I was the biggest Honda and Acura fan in the 90’s. Loved the integra. RSX not so much then it dies.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Let me also remind everyone, bringing back the Integra shows tremendous failure on Acura’s part. Remember they told us they were dropping names for letters (that make no sense) to move upmarket. They dropped the Integra/ RSX saying it was too young and not where the brand was headed.

Obviously 20 years later the brand went absolutely nowhere and bringing the Integra back shows this. They didn’t even try to mask it being a civic. And with no double wishbone suspension and with a CVT and more weight it will drive less fun. Yea it has a manual option which is good. Still will get smoked by anything on the road not Prius or Insight.

The NSX is gone next year. They won’t have a single coupe. They will sell you a cut off nose and butt Pilot called a passport. Oh how GM.

Reactions
Let me also remind everyone, bringing back the Integra shows tremendous failure on Acura’s part. Remember they told us they were dropping names for letters (that make no sense) to move upmarket. They dropped the Integra/ RSX saying it was too young and not where the brand was headed.
So they will find a way to bring back Legend...and perhaps ZDX and Crossturd lol

mikeavelli

Reactions
So they will find a way to bring back Legend...and perhaps ZDX and Crossturd lol

The RLX was called Honda Legend in Japan and Europe. Sold like crap there too. They should have never dropped the names in retrospect since they never took luxury serious and moved upmarket. You just don’t drop good names. Which partially saddens me with the loss of SC and GS. Those are fabulous names.

mikeavelli

Reactions
So I just looked. Didn’t realize the accord Sport has a base model with 192hp and CVT. The optional engine has 252hp and the 10 speed.

Also the Accord sport starts at 28k.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Uh yeah, I know the CT was a Honda but something like it will sell better in today's market
Frankly, I think the Crosstour would have sold a lot better had it had a conventional square-wagon rear end like the Outback.

1648173153128.png

Acura DID market a nice 5-door squareback Sportwagon in the U.S. (I'm sure you remember it), but it did not include a raised-suspension or AWD like the Outback.....it was essentially a FWD wagon.

1648173275622.png

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Politically incorrect hot take: Honda and Acura only ever had good vehicles in the 1980s and 1990s that were small cars. Larger Honda and Acura vehicles were never that good. Since the late 1990s/start of the 2000s, Honda and Acura vehicles have had shaky and inconsistent quality and reliability, with the small car models generally having the least problems. Since the 1990s, Honda and Acura have been coasting ever since on that old reputation. Reliability and quality briefly picked up in the early 2010s, but for the last few years Honda and Acura quality and reliability has been average to below average at best. Honda (including Acura) has never been a truly full line automaker, and never will be. Honda's expertise is rooted in making motorcycles. That doesn't translate very well to the automobile industry.

I've owned a couple of Hondas, and have driven many other Honda and Acura models over many years. The Hondas I owned gave me a lot of headaches. Many of the other Honda and Acura models I've driven have never really appealed to me either. None of this surprises me, yet it's both funny and sad. Honda (including Acura) has become a very mediocre automobile company. We now have an automotive company in Honda that makes mediocre vehicles in quality and reliability, that a lot of people don't find good looking, that are not that fun to drive, that don't have great performance or supreme comfort, or that really don't excel in any way. The only thing Honda excels at now is being very mediocre. I saw this coming many years ago and have talked about it ever since both online and in person. I've received hate for this view both online and in person over the years from all sorts of people but I stuck to my convictions. Now things are being laid very bare as it relates to Honda. So much so that the mediocrity can no longer be dismissed and ignored. Even a lot of Honda fans can no longer ignore the mediocrity. Only the biggest, most biased Honda cheerleaders are still supporting this mediocrity. Personally I'll never own another Honda (or Acura) ever again. You couldn't pay me to own a Honda or Acura ever again in my lifetime.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Another thing that's absolutely over-rated about Honda is VTEC. People think of it as some wonder technology when in reality Honda has been behind in valvetrain technology because of VTEC. The packaging and extra complexity of VTEC prevented them from using DOHC on their mainstream engines. They stayed with staged-VVL and never mass produced engines with continuous VVL. Meanwhile Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Hyundai, FCA all managed to develop continuous VVL systems based on DOHC with little impact to packaging and cost, and nobody talked about them! Part of the reason is continuous VVL systems are unnoticeable without that stupid personality changing mechanism. VTEC is not unique, it's primitive.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
If your in the market for an MDX you better be happy with a type S or A spec. Honda is producing very few MDXs that are not those two specific trim levels due to shortages. They're going to be loosing sales if they're forced to pull this with other models like the integra.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Another thing that's absolutely over-rated about Honda is VTEC. People think of it as some wonder technology when in reality Honda has been behind in valvetrain technology because of VTEC. The packaging and extra complexity of VTEC prevented them from using DOHC on their mainstream engines. They stayed with staged-VVL and never mass produced engines with continuous VVL. Meanwhile Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Hyundai, FCA all managed to develop continuous VVL systems based on DOHC with little impact to packaging and cost, and nobody talked about them! Part of the reason is continuous VVL systems are unnoticeable without that stupid personality changing mechanism. VTEC is not unique, it's primitive.

I've owned one Honda with VTEC, and it was one of the many problem areas that gave me headaches. In normal daily driving, the system was annoying because you could feel when the VTEC phase shift occurred, which made for a driving experience that was not very smooth or very refined. When driving at the limit, it was even worse. When driven at the limit, VTEC activation was noticeably even less refined and more jerky, on top of there being noticeable lag when VTEC activated.

As you say, totally different experience than with continuous systems.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Politically incorrect hot take: Honda and Acura only ever had good vehicles in the 1980s and 1990s that were small cars. Larger Honda and Acura vehicles were never that good. Since the late 1990s/start of the 2000s, Honda and Acura vehicles have had shaky and inconsistent quality and reliability, with the small car models generally having the least problems. Since the 1990s, Honda and Acura have been coasting ever since on that old reputation. Reliability and quality briefly picked up in the early 2010s, but for the last few years Honda and Acura quality and reliability has been average to below average at best. Honda (including Acura) has never been a truly full line automaker, and never will be. Honda's expertise is rooted in making motorcycles. That doesn't translate very well to the automobile industry.

I've owned a couple of Hondas, and have driven many other Honda and Acura models over many years. The Hondas I owned gave me a lot of headaches. Many of the other Honda and Acura models I've driven have never really appealed to me either. None of this surprises me, yet it's both funny and sad. Honda (including Acura) has become a very mediocre automobile company. We now have an automotive company in Honda that makes mediocre vehicles in quality and reliability, that a lot of people don't find good looking, that are not that fun to drive, that don't have great performance or supreme comfort, or that really don't excel in any way. The only thing Honda excels at now is being very mediocre. I saw this coming many years ago and have talked about it ever since both online and in person. I've received hate for this view both online and in person over the years from all sorts of people but I stuck to my convictions. Now things are being laid very bare as it relates to Honda. So much so that the mediocrity can no longer be dismissed and ignored. Even a lot of Honda fans can no longer ignore the mediocrity. Only the biggest, most biased Honda cheerleaders are still supporting this mediocrity. Personally I'll never own another Honda (or Acura) ever again. You couldn't pay me to own a Honda or Acura ever again in my lifetime.
Yep, Honda was never good at making larger cars, after digging through some old reviews of Honda/Acura's larger cars, they all lagged behind the competition in many areas, namely their powertrains, chassis and interiors. Honda had plans to bring continuous VVL into production, but then they completely scrapped it and went with downsized turbocharged engines for some applications and continue to recycle outdated engines from over 20 year ago in other applications. Having worked at a Honda service centre for a while as a technician, I can confirm the quality and reliability of their cars are garbage, all sorts of very annoying problems, they can't even get the rubber seals around the doors and boot/trunk lid to seal up properly, causing water to leak into the car, slowly soaking up the carpet, most owners aren't going to realize it because they tend to be hard to spot seepage until it's too late, and the part where the main structure of the car is contact with the wet carpet ends up rusting prematurely, cars that are less 1 year old already becoming rust buckets because Honda can't even get simple stuff that has existed on cars for decades already to function properly.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Watching the Duke vs NC game, we are treated with another B.S Acura ad. This one shows the civic Integra somehow going 250mph while drifting fwd and flashing the words turbo and vtec when it makes a whopping 200hp. The 2002 RSX made 200hp. The 2004 TSX made 200hp. Here is the 2023 Integra with a whole 200hp. The fact is like 80% sold will be CVT base lease payment cars.

I can only assume this is aimed at people who know absolutely nothing about cars