Reactions
Nah, just ignore those commenters, most of them drive Hyundais and Kias and think Toyotas are boring and overpriced junk just because they can get similar features in their H&K typically at a lower price than their competitors, but they totally ignore the fact that H&K cost cut the hell out of the chassis for most of their vehicles to keep their price tags down. No hate to H&K though(Genesis is nice), but they have attracted some really toxic fans, like almost Tesla fanboy level of toxic.
Fanboys will be fanboys, ask George Lucas...it wouldn't be good for H/K to trash Toyota as a company because it was because of them that Hyundai Motor emulated to improve their quality. The reason I've paid attention to the company wasn't just that their styling was improved, but because they hired the guy that made the BMW M brand to tune their driving dynamics.

Last edited:

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I respect Mark at SG highly however he seems to be more on the negative side/pessimistic. He's one to see the glass half empty whereas I see the glass half full, almost full, pretty much close to full (accountants tend to roundup if it's 50% or more) and as Mikeavelli stated sales are what counts in the end (where products live on or get discontinued). One has to truly understand what the AWD IS 300 is and isn't and most youtubers live in a fantasy land where everything is supposed to beyond perfect in an unperfect world.

"Freedom isn't free, it is a responsibility"

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I respect Mark at SG highly however he seems to be more on the negative side/pessimistic. He's one to see the glass half empty whereas I see the glass half full, almost full, pretty much close to full (accountants tend to roundup if it's 50% or more) and as Mikeavelli stated sales are what counts in the end (where products live on or get discontinued). One has to truly understand what the AWD IS 300 is and isn't and most youtubers live in a fantasy land where everything is supposed to beyond perfect in an unperfect world.

"Freedom isn't free, it is a responsibility"

I get what you mean. I think Mark and Jack are both pretty good and fair, but I think the general automotive media model is not always kind to Lexus because Lexus doesn't really build numbers cars, or cars that thrive in a "point in time" setting. Think about it: If you jump from reviewing a BRZ to Grand Wagoneer to TLX Type S to M4 Competition to Tucson hybrid in the span of a week... the reality of an ownership experience is gone. You naturally start to focus on the headline points (usually performance figures) and you keep moving. It's pretty similar to the cycle of regular news that generally focuses on doom-and-gloom and not much else.

People who REALLY buy and own cars often think about different things than 0-60, 1/4 mile, brake feel or handling margins. Toyota and Lexus owners especially value reliability, durability and long term quality. Three things that literally do not show up in a "first impressions" press drive review, at all. That means the very top thing on most Toyota/Lexus buyer's lists does not even register at the bottom of the automotive media's review priorities.

For so many years of my time as a Lexus enthusiast, I was wanting RWD everything, new turbos, new V8s, manual transmissions, ditch the RX, retire the ES... and it's really been the last 3-4 years that I've realized that beyond what the media thinks, reviewers say and the internet drags, Toyota and Lexus build the cars people want to buy. The person who buys an RX is different from the one who goes home with a Cayenne. The IS 350 buyer is different from the 330i leaser. The person buying an LX 570 is going to keep it for 200,000 miles and then hand it down to their grandson, so they didn't even bother to compare it to a GLS 580 and don't know or care that it has 100 less horsepower.

It's not to say that Toyota or Lexus shouldn't care about the automotive media or try to build fun, exciting cars, but I've learned to separate viral-worthy headlines from real ownership and reliability data. And for all of the YouTube videos, press reviews and forum flaming about Toyota and Lexus... somehow, they're still doing better than everyone else, by a long shot. Perfect? No. But they know their audience and they protect their interests before they build a car for Sofyan Bey to say is outdated. As just as well they should.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^A perfect analysis of why Lexus/Toyota are so successful in so many international markets. In those places fuel prices are too high for people to care about numbers. The cost of ownership (maintenance, depreciation etc.) and quality are everything. The ES200 is a terrible car with unusable horsepower yet it was tested to drive to Mt. Everest base camp and back...and their entire lineup from the tiny Yaris to the mighty LX570 could do the same. Trying doing that in a Range Rover or X5 or GLS580 (their engines will blow up at that altitude). Lexus is very very overpriced here yet people are flocking to their dealerships because they are the last pure 'made in Japan' brand.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Car reviews are entertainment for window shoppers.
It’s a lowest common denominator industry.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
And window shoppers have influence over real buyers. Dream of M3, make buy 320d.
Nah, they really don’t. What people on YouTube think probably isn’t showing up in consumer surveys about why they buy a car.

Shows like top gear that are huge can cause some to hold certain views but again, not a top buying motivator.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I knew/was certain that teaser/hint was going to be a V35A powered IS. What else could it be?

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I knew/was certain that teaser/hint was going to be a V35A powered IS. What else could it be?

Is this referring to the cryptic capital S's @CRSKTN was sending in some of their messages??

Also if they're debuting this, does this mean there's a chance it'll eventually come into production?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
IF there is ever going to be an ISf at least we have an idea of what it will be capable of. Damn 305/30/19 on the rear.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Hopefully we could get something like this, v35 ISF with new rumors with next gen IS will be ICE and on new TNGA-A platform. Same with the SEMA LX off road stuff, we need these in dealerships Lexus!

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
Hopefully we could get something like this, v35 ISF with new rumors with next gen IS will be ICE and on new TNGA-A platform. Same with the SEMA LX off road stuff, we need these in dealerships Lexus!
what's this about a GA-A (TNGA-A) platform? Please share! And where did you hear/read those rumours on the next gen IS? I'm very intrigued and hopeful! We here in Aus lost the IS and I am very much looking forward to a next gen if we ever will get one!